MXR M-108 10-Band EQ Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 01/14/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: MXR M-108 10-Band EQ
Total control. That?s really what guitarists want. And now you can have it with the MXR M-108 10-Band Graphic EQ. The M-108 provides extreme control over the ten most crucial frequencies for guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 Ease of Use: 8.6
 8.7
 8.9
 8.5
reviews (5) 29 comments vote for this gear:
MXR M-108 10-Band EQ Reviewed by: Purple Platypus, on august 21, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal takes a bit of getting used to as it has 12dB of boost and cut for each of the 10 frequencies it governs on top of the gain and volume controls. The manual is fairly straightforward and gives a few examples of setting that might be of use to you. Once you get used to figuring out what sliders need to go where all you have to do is turn it off and on and do the odd tweak on the fly. The LED's in every slider made it easy to see on a dark stage. // 7

Sound: I use it with a Fender Strat through a Fender DeVille 212 with a few pedals in there for good measure. I used to have a Randall G2 series halfstack and I used the EQ to brighten up the clean tones as they were very bassy and dark sounding. Now I mainly use the EQ as a filter to get that "AM Radio" tone used in parts of songs like 'American Idiot' by Green Day and the intro to 'I Believe in a Thing Called Love' by the Darkness. That particular setting is actually one of the example settings in the manual and I have become quite acustomed to it. I like to use this type of heavily filtered effect (achieved by cutting all high/low frequencies while boosting a few key midrange frequencies) while playing the verse for 'Brain Stew' by Green Day as an added texture which gives the song a new flavor. If you don't know what your doing it can become quite a bit of a shocker when you kick it on and get a harsh boost you aren't expecting. You can basically shape it to get whatever sound you desire, or use it as a boost, or whatever your little heart desires. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Had it about 2 years, never a problem. I use it constantly without a backup. No worries. I don't really need to say anything more about it. Very dependable, the metal casing is pretty heavy duty. It's fairly heavy; feels like it could withstand a beating, or cause one. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a useful tool no matter what type of music you play. If you care about your tone, it gives you added control. If your amp EQ settings just aren't doing enough it can be a tonesaver. I own quite a few of Dunlop pedals and I haven't really encountered any problems. it's not the type of pedal you're gonna wanna buy if you want a bunch of crazy effects, but if you want to imporve your tone in it's most basic form, an EQ may be a worthwhile investment. I don't see why you'd look any further than the MXR. And also if the 10 band is more than you need, I believe you can get a smaller 6 band. The only real problem is that it is 18v so you either need to use the Dunlop DC brick or the adapter that comes with the pedal; however it is the 18v that provides the level of contol this pedal provides. // 9

MXR M-108 10-Band EQ Reviewed by: mrxtreme_4, on february 04, 2008

Purchased from: L&M

Ease of Use: Amazing EQ! Very easy to get any sound with it due to the ten different tweakable frequencies and volume and gain sliders. Very straight forward and easy to use pedal. The manual comes with every piece of info you need about the pedal and have some suggested settings that could serve as a starting point for using this pedal. The sliders light up when it's on and shut off when you bypass it, so you always know when it's on or off and where it is. // 10

Sound: I'm currently using it with a Line6 Flextone III plus and a Fender highway one HSS stratocaster. It doesn't create any excess noise and enables you to create virtually any sound you want. It also helps tame those harsh highs my SS gives up when I get it up to gig worthy volumes. The ten sliders give you excellent control over your sound. Your sound gets way more customizable with this than with a standard bass, mid, treble EQ. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It seems very reliable and secure. Built like a tank and the sliders light up so you know where it is, even in the dark. Haven't had any problems with it and don't think I ever will. Definitely gig worthy and I have used it without backup and had no problems what'soever. // 9

Overall Impression: Great for any style of music, clean or dirty. I've been playing for 2 years and have become somewhat obsessed with getting the exact tone I want. The amp eq wasn't cutting it so I got this and it is any tone freaks dream. I would definitely buy another if this were stolen. I hate nothing and I love everything about it, if your serious about your tone get one of these. Comes with a power supply to. // 10

MXR M-108 10-Band EQ Reviewed by: Kur† Cobain, on november 10, 2008

Price paid: € 150

Ease of Use: Well not the easiest EQ pedal to use, but hey, it's 10 band not 6 band, so you'll need to work a bit with it! I'm not saying that it's hard to get a good sound, just that you have more options with it, and you'll need a bit more time to discover all that you can get from this thing! Manual that comes with it gives a good starting point from where you can tweak the sound to your liking! 10 freq. slider plus volume and gain sliders! It has really cool looking LEDs inside the sliders, that turn on when you Switch your pedal on! LEDs on Volume and Gain are always on! // 10

Sound: I'm using Jackson RR3 through Peavey studio pro 112, and it really improved my sound allot! It turned my boring amp into a grinding Machine! I'm now using it after the dist. as a boost for solos, but also for improving my cleans! I'll give it 9 because it's a bit noisy, but only if you boost 1k freq. slider, so if you're scooping maniac like me you won't hear any noise! // 8

Reliability & Durability: Its bulletproof! But a few weeks ago, the Switch started to buzz when I was turning it on and off, but it turned out to be only some dust inside the Switch, so I can't say anything bad because of that! I have two more MXR pedals and they have never turned me down yet! The only thing I concern about are the sliders! I fear not to step on one of them when I'm turning it on and off, because they'll probably break! // 7

Overall Impression: I'm playing mostly trash and heavy metal and some hard rock! With this pedal you can make you're amp sound anything you want! I own MXR double shot dist, and when I'm using dime channel on it, and using this EQ to scoop the mids, I can easily get it to sound like Pantera or Metallica(Justice era)! But you could easily get any other sound, from soft rock and blues, hard rock and metal, to really cool AM- radio sound! Anyone Who's looking for EQ that will really improve your amp's sound, should look no further! // 10

MXR M-108 10-Band EQ Reviewed by: Raijouta, on january 14, 2009

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Ease of Use: At first it takes some time to get used to, having 12 dB of boost/cut for frequencies ranging up to 16 kHz. After a few hours toying with it, though, it becomes very easy to mold your amp's tone. The manual is short and comes with settings to try out. One thing I will say is that the Gain slider does not function like the knob on one's amp - instead it's more like a second volume slider unless you have the equalizer in front of the amp. // 7

Sound: I use it in the effects loop of my Peavey Valveking 112 with an Epiphone Les Paul or Fender Strat. It does it's job very well, allowing me to cut out fizz (particularly in the 2-4k range) and boost lacking frequencies (bass side) In all, it's a great pedal and gives me much more control over my tone. From tight metal to sterile jazz, this pedal really helps me get there. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Some of the frequency numbers have already rubbed off after a few weeks of travelling from my house to my school with it, but the actual construction is untouched. After a few weeks, I'm familiar with what each slider does enough that it doesn't matter too much. It's survived being dropped on tile several times. I most certainly would gig with it without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for basically two years and this pedal turned my Valveking from something somewhat mediocre to a great amp - really improved the lead channel. I'd be willing to put my setup against one that costed twice as much now. If it were stolen or lost I'd most definitely buy another - it's versatility is very appealing. One of, if not the the most important pedal in my board. // 10

MXR M-108 10-Band EQ Reviewed by: myearshurt, on january 29, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This pedal allows me to get a lot of different tones from my guitar. I was having trouble with an over snappy bridge pickup on my guitar and lowering the midrange on the amp eq wasn't enough. Using this to completely cutout the midrange created a more hollow, thinner sound, like I was after. I can get a sound as if I was playing through a radio by cutting out the treble frequencies (the sliders on the right), or I can just go for a flat sound and cut out everything. There are endless possibilities. Mine didn't come with a manual (obviously cause it was of eBay) but you wouldn't need one, just fiddle around with the sliders until you get your own unique tone. // 9

Sound: I'm using a JB Jr loaded Standard Stratocaster and a Line 6 III amp. This pedal is noiseless for me. With some of the frequencies, adjusting them won't make a significant difference (unless you really have a ear for tone and can hear it). Personally, I only adjust the main frequencies (the ones that make a big difference when adjusted). I can get a decent Dani California sound without the neck pickup being too bassy (of course wit the M-108 on) and a crazy almost dead on Can't Stop tone if I raise the treble and bass a bit and slightly decrease the midrange. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is solid man, it's heavy. I can depend on it, but the AC adaptor's wire is a little thin, whilst the block part of it is heavy. Only worries is that it might snap or something but just don't put too much wear on it and it'll be fine. I would use it at a gig without a backup, because I'd use it with a pedalboard and that should protect the AC wire. // 8

Overall Impression: I play everything I like, basically a bit of metal, alternative rock, funk and acoustic. I started in 2006 but have been playing on and off. Along with the M-108, I also own a Boss AC-2 Acoustic Simulator, Dunlop Crybaby and EHX Big Muff. If it were stolen, I'd probably just get the MXR 6-band eq or Boss GE-7, because I've found out that 10 bands isn't necessary. I love that it's nice and solid, love the LED sliders. Favorite feature would be the solid build (compared to Boss, way more solid). Wish it had a more solid adaptor. // 9

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013