MXR M-115 Distortion III Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 04/25/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: MXR M-115 Distortion III
The MXR M-115 Distortion III is a pedal with a huge range of distortion, from sweet overdrive to crunch distortion. The pedal features tone, distortion and output volume knobs, jack input and output and on/off LED indicator.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.3
 9.2
 9.3
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
MXR M-115 Distortion III Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 19, 2007

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Ease of Use: One of the key things I liked about this pedal was how easy it was to use. There are 3 dials on it, no need to mess around with 20 to find the sound you're looking for it. You can plug it in and have it sounding the exact way you want it in under a minute. The manual didn't help much, but I don't really think it needed one to be honest. // 10

Sound: I play an Ibanez JTK1, and use a Peavey Transtube 112 EFX amp. The pedal doesn't give off much noise at all, unless you've got the gain on max and the output at anything above 1 O clock. Randy Rhoads is definitely someone I look up to, and I wondered if I should get the Distortion + like he did, or the newer, distortion III. I played both and I found this one was more suited to my needs. I find it is more suited to me, because it gets quite a bit more gain, but it doesn't make the notes sound less clear. It also gives off some nice sustain. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal seems very reliable so far, I was a little worried at first when I bought it because turning it on felt a little too easy. Normally with this style of pedal (Small, cylindrical metal Switch) I have to be wearing shoes to turn it on, or I get a little pain in my foot. With this one, a new born baby could touch it and turn it on. After I realized this wasn't a mistake, I became very pleased with the way this pedal was built. I have had no errors so far, in my 4 months of use. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a few different styles of music, but with this pedal I use it for my heavier stuff, the metal. It is a good match for this, although you most likely would want an additional pedal to use for soloing. I don't have any regrets in buying this product, but I think the price is a little much for it. Like said earlier, I compared it to the MXR Distortion +, and I have compared it against a friend's Boss sd-1. Both times I preferred the sound of the M-115. // 7

MXR M-115 Distortion III Reviewed by: lunchboxattacks, on april 25, 2008

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal about a month ago so hopefully I can give a decent opinion.The pedal could barely be easier to use it's just a little red box with three controls; tone gain and output so very little to worry about here. I personally think a distortion box is better off with minimal controls, less to worry about and easy to dial in a sound you like.Manual is typical for a distortion pedal, it's got a few examples of preset sounds for the pedal i.e. "crucnhy rhythm" and singing lead etc. // 10

Sound: Well the sound is the best I've heard from a standalone distortion pedal so far, I've also got a Marshall guvnor plus distortion which isnt too shabby but it's got too many controls and it's hard to keep it's attack from sounding muddy in my experience. However in the case of the mxr there is an openess to it which I like, you hear every note you play (not always a good thing) and chugging is possible without too much woofiness (I get a little but that could easily be due to the Vox valvetronix amp I'm using). I've found that putting the output and tone controls at 2 and 12 o clock respectively yields the best results for me tone wise anything beyond this and it may come out toppy and fizzy but it all depends on the persons amp and guitar I suppose. I should say that these settings are at bedroom volume I did have to change them for gig purposes naturally but rest assured there is plenty of power on tap from this pedal to allow you to be heard. Gain wise this will easily go from light break up to modern Metallica (well, black album at least) but the notes still remain clear even with the gain knob maxed out. Oh and the pedal cleans up well too when you use your guitars volume knob. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is typical of those in it's price range, a very sturdy cast meatl box. It's also surprisingly small and light so it could definately survive a fall, the only thing I'd be concerned about is the metal foot switch as I've had experiences where these have worn out on me but I could just be heavy footed. // 10

Overall Impression: I chose this over a ds 1 and Pro Co rat and don't regret it. It's a great match for rock and whatnot but it's got a smooth singing tone that would lend itself well to lead guitar in many other genres too just as long as they didn't relie heavily on pinch harmonics and Whammy bar theatrics. I would definately buy it again if it were lost, it's a pretty good bargain. // 10

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013