MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 02/18/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
This gorgeous sounding pedal will remind you how cool chorus can be. Want to add sparkle to clean-toned arpeggios? Animate strummed passages? Widen and fatten distorted power chords? This box will do it all, cleanly and quietly. Set the Rate and Width controls to your liking and then dial in as much effect as you want with the Intensity knob.
 Ease of Use: 8
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus Reviewed by: kool98769, on february 18, 2008

Purchased from: GC

Ease of Use: This thing is awesome! I absolutely love this thing. Thanks to the manual you can get this baby ready to go really quickly. It's got a bunch of suggested settings that you can base everything off of if you want to get going quick. It does your subtle little chorus, and your intense Rush and Police chorus stuff. You can pull off the little Eric Johnson tones good too. I give it an 8 in here just because there's so many posibilities, and can make your brain Hurt when thinking about it. // 8

Sound: Definitely amazing in this. This thing has so many posibilities. If I remember right, you have a 12 dB boost or cut on treble and bass, which is awesome. As far as rate goes, you can get vibrato type noises, or absolutely nothing happening on 0. that's the awesome part, you can get it to work simply as a signal doubler by adjusting your width and putting intensity and rate at 0. Another awesome feature is the little bass button, that de-choruses the bottom end. Which basically means that your chugga-chuggas stay in tact while you can still accent your higher strings, or simple put it on for a change up in sound. I really wish this thing had a level control though. This thing does Rush chorus absolutely fabulously. Metallica? Covered. Alice In Chains? Covered. Trapt? Covered. Seether? Covered. This chorus does it all. I'm giving it a 9 in here simple because you can get better, but you have to spend 250 bucks by either buying the carl Martin, or the TC electronics chorus. Even then, it comes really close behind these guys. Oh yeah, did I mention it is noise free? Absolutely no buzz. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Looks pretty solid. I'd depend on it, because of MXR's quality on build. The old flangers from the '70s are still going strong. I guess the only thing that I'm disapointed in is the paintjob, it chips rather easily. The finish is pretty awesome too, which makes me sad, and in turn will make it a 9. // 9

Overall Impression: This fits me perfectly, or anything or anyone you want to emulate as far as chorus goes. I like this pedal more than anything, and is definitely the best 160 bucks you can spend on guitar gear. I guess the only thing that would be a pain is the fact that it is a 18 volt pedal, but it has the adapter included. It can also take two 9v batteries, but I'd assume that it would eat through the batteries in 1 gig. I also love how on the pedal, the white part on the knobs are glow in the dark. It really makes me happy to own this thing. It even made my crappy solid state cleans come to life. The only thing it is lacking is a volume control, and a more durable paintjob. // 10

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013