MXR M-151 Doubleshot Distortion Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 11/24/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Dunlop: MXR M-151 Doubleshot Distortion
Two distinct channels, huge output, and incredibly quiet operation. Dial in blues-approved grind or thick, old-school lead tones on one side...
 Ease of Use: 9.3
 9.5
 8.4
reviews (4) 7 comments vote for this gear:
MXR M-151 Doubleshot Distortion Reviewed by: Purple Platypus, on august 21, 2006

Ease of Use: The doubleshot is very easy to use as long as you have a fairly good idea of the sound you want and an ear for it. It's got a huge tonal range which can throw someone off if they don't know what they want. But the short user booklet has a few suggested settings made specifially for humbuckers, single coils, etc. which should give you a pretty good starting point so you can get rocking. The two controls are very easy to navigate and the bright red LED's show you which of the two channels you are on. It's like having another amp sitting on the floor in a little box. // 7

Sound: Right now I'm using an american made Fender stratocastor with standard single coil pickups through a Fender Hot Rod Deville 212 and mainly use it for my lead tones; which sound immense. Having the guitar and amp I use that generally produce sharper thinner tones it's great to have nice fat lead tones for my solos. I also use it when playing heavier stuff like punk rock and hard rock for a nice beefy rhythm tone. The EQ controls are fairly hude as well so you have a massive control over your tone. I don't usually try to imitate others' tone, I just do what sounds best with my particular style and it gives me more than enough control to do just that. However, if you just want an Overdrive I wouldn't recommend as it's made to go much further, but it is a great all around pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had mine for about 2 years now and I've never had a problem with it. It's built like a tank to take all you can give it and it'll dish it right back at you. It's got a full metal jacket. I don't own a backup and I use it at pretty well all my gigs without worry. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all sorts of music but mainly classic to modern rock and I do a fair amount of guitar solos. The doubleshot is great for what I do as I like to mix up my tones a lot and I love a nice thick lead tone. I use a fair amount of pedals as well as my amp distortion but this is my main pedal for leads or if I need a beefier rhythm tone. I have 2 overdrives and a fuzz on top of my amp distortion to get a wide range of flavours as well as a 10 band EQ, 2 wah pedals and a delay. My favourite solo tone in my arsenal is definately my doubleshot with the Zakk Wylde signature Crybaby before it; it's just a huge expressive sound that cuts through the mix and has a tendency to melt souls and impregnate elderly ladies. If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't even think twice about replacing; and if I found the cuplret, it wouldn't be pretty. // 9

MXR M-151 Doubleshot Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 15, 2004

Ease of Use: This thing is really easy to use. You get get so many different kinds of distortion out of it with a few turns of the dials. Plus it has 2 fully independent channels. It's easy to set your distortion on each and switch between the 2. // 10

Sound: I play an Ibanez RG120 and it sounds great with this pedal. I get anything from bluesy sounds to metal. You can get pretty much anykind of distortion out of it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is really durable. I takes a beating every time I use it and it still works as good as the day I got it. I wouldn't worry about using it on a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great pedal. It's like 2 pedals in 1. I play mostly rock but I also like to play blues. Getting either tone is as easy as toggling the channels. If this were lost or stolen, I would definately buy another. // 10

MXR M-151 Doubleshot Distortion Reviewed by: JF4ever, on june 21, 2008

Ease of Use: The MXR Double shot Distortion pedal is a little Black Box of versatile dreams. It has two distinct channels that are easy to Switch to with their own personalities. Channel one is a bit on the lighter side with a clear sound. The 2nd channel is "heavier" with an almost percussive sound, but doesn't lose any clarity. Each channel has a focus knob and it's own eq settings of volume, treb, mid, bass, and gain. It's very easy to use and very tweakable. // 10

Sound: I'm working with an abundant of effects but I use a Fender deluxe 90 amp, a Vox AD100VT amp as well as a Fender Mex strat and Fender Jaguar (12 years old). I would have to say that the distortion can lose it's clarity when using any modeling pedals, but that can be fixed with any pedal in the eq or compressor family. This pedal can give you a nice twange or a heavy sound. It can be noisy like all distortion pedals, nothing a noise gate can't shut up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal hasn't let me down at all and would never gig with a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play many many styles but if you had to concise it down or give it a label it would be progressive experimental funk rock, but I also do a solo acoustic work as well. If you want to hear it check my profile. I've been playing for 9 years going on 10 and I've gone through many a distortion pedal like the Boss DS-1, MD-2 and SD-1 Dual Overdrive. I gotta say this has been my best one. If someone stole as it would never break, I'd assassinate the thief and take back my pedal. // 10

MXR M-151 Doubleshot Distortion Reviewed by: Kur† Cobain, on november 24, 2008

Price paid: € 150

Ease of Use: There's a wide range of sounds in this box, and if you now what kind of sound are you searching for, it's really easy, to find a good sound! The manual that comes with it gives a good starting point! Needs some time to find the sound you want, but it's inside, trust me, and once you find it, you can't go wrong. It has two channels- 1. channel is Dime and it's really good for metal; 2. channel is Marshall type of dist! Don't use too much, because it's too bassy! Focus button for both channel! // 10

Sound: The sound quality is great! Not noisy at all, and it's a 18V! At 1. channel you have an array of metal tones. Really crunchy, thick tone that you can experiment with, and when you press the focus Switch on- BUM... you get grinding scooped tone, that I fell in love with first time I heard it. The 2. channel is a bit disappointing because it has too much bass, and sounds like fuzz on steroids, but really crunchy! Focus button only makes it worse! // 8

Reliability & Durability: Hey, it's a tank. Really sturdy pedal. Like a brick! Have it for year an a half now, and I never had a problem with it! Not a single one! I'm using it on gigs without any backup, and I know most of you would say that I'm wrong, but I have full confidence in it! I don't know what should I do to it, to make it not work. There's always a way, yes, but in normal circumstances it could outlast you! // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy and trash metal, and a bit of hard rock, and it suits my style really well! I mostly use 1. channel with focus on so I can get the scooped sound that is similar to the early 'tallica or Pantera sound. I love it! It could be better only if both channel where the same, so you can make one scooped rhythm tone, and one tone for solos that has more mids. If it were stolen or lost, I would be very sad because they don't make these pedals no more, so it would be very hard to find a new one! // 9

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013