Tone Reaper Review

review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Tone Reaper Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 19, 2012

Price paid: £ 118.99

Purchased from: GuitarGutar

Ease of Use: The Tone Reaper is a 'ripping fuzz' according to the catalogue provided. I agree. As it is hybrid fuzz, two silicom, one germanium, you get a great variety of tones, and if you are looking for really fat, distorted noises, the Tone Reaper is for you. As its a tone bender circuit, you get some great Led Zeppelin sounds, but almost anything else is possible, I personally got some great Jack White, Black Sabbath and Muse tones. No manual, but with three knobs, you really don't need one. Its a fuzz, pure and simple, but I guess a lack of manual could put people off. // 9

Sound: I'm running the Tone Reaper with a Gibson Faded V into a Marshall 100 watt valvestate. I run the gain about 5 on the clean channel, with all tone at 10, changing the sound with the pedal or guitar volume. I'd heard from a friend that a big muff into a light Overdrive channel causes masses of noise, but even running the gain at full tilt on od2 didn't make a huge deal of background noise. Admittedly, the sounds was pretty rubbish in my opinion. If you like feedback, crank the level and master volume, and the feedback is glorious. It reacts very well, especially when the fuzz is below 75%, to Pick attack and the guitar controls. The 3 pickup settings all sound distinct, which is great for giving a riff a little variety. Overall, brilliant sounds if you are willing to spend time on it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: 1 fault, the battery doesn't fit in the casing. As this is a boutique pedal, its probably just my little #303, but that's not something I expected for the price. I'm planning on getting a psu anyway, but still. Its a metal case, metal switch, and everything looks solid internally, so it looks like it'll hold up with anything. If you have a TC Electronic pedal, its the same size and build, so that's a good example of sturdiness. I've never heard of anyone backing up their pedals when gigging, but you wont need it with this lump of steel. // 8

Overall Impression: I play blues, hard rock, metal, alternative and a little punk, and this suits most of them. It makes a great stoner metal sound, but don't be expecting high gain shred tones, old school is the name of the game here. I've been playing for 3-4 years now, and I previously owned a Behringer metal pedal. Plastic case held up oddly enough, but the crappy pots came loose, and I had to tape the level control on to make it work. This wont happen on this pedal, the pots are actual potentiometers, not a digital representation. Get a psu with one of these, incase the battery space is a problem in all of them. If this was lost I couldn't afford another one, this is a serious purchase, if you don't love fuzz, get something else. I love every sound out of this pedal, from the barely breaking up to the all out grind of ear crushing fuzz. Paired with my V it makes a great mid boosted sound, which is great. I tried this pedal against the earth quaker devices dirt transmitter, a Big Muff, Double Muff and a Keely Modded Fuzz Head. The Keely didn't have enough oomph, the Double Muff lacked fine tuning, dirt transmitter was too bitey for me, and the big muffs tones weren't all usable. And hey, I just love this fuzz. Over all, you want silicon powered fuzz, this is the best pedal I could find with it. If you have the money, and you want to go mental with fuzz, this is a great choice of pedal, the sound quality makes up for everything else in my opinion. // 10

More EarthQuaker Devices reviews rating category latest review