Big Muff Pi Review

manufacturer: Electro-Harmonix date: 08/27/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi
The overall sound, components, and quality vary a bit from version to version so shop around for one that suits your style.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Ease of Use: 9.2
 9.1
 8.8
reviews (37) pictures (2) 61 comments vote for this gear:
Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 20, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Center - Edina, MN

Ease of Use: This is very very simple to use. It comes with an instruction manual that doesn't say much, here's basically how the 3 huge knobs work. Volume - kind of a useless dial. Why wouldn't anyone want this all the way to the right? Adjust distortion with the sustain dial or turn the volume down on your guitar or amp. Tone - this knob has infinite possibilities. Turn it all the way to the right to get a very crunchy, fuzzy and thin tone with not much low end. As you gradually turn it left you lose that crunch a bit and gain the low end. For a great balance of the two, turn the tone to about 3 o'clock. From about 12 to 2 o'clock you get a lower, richer tone which is pretty good but I prefer more crunch. From all the way left to 12 o'clock you get this very low, muffled tone that sounds like your amp is behind a wall. Sustain - this is basically if the distortion knob on your amp went to 20. I don't think I've ever had it at anything but max. Turn it all the way to the right and have your mind blown. // 10

Sound: This has the tone of the gods. I've played it next to the Sovtek russian one and the USA one just has a much clearer tone, more powerful, more of that raw gritty distortion. The difference is great enough that it is worth pitching in the extra $30 more to get this incredible tone. I don't think it is that noisy, when I first played it I was amazed at how little noise it makes if you just hold the strings, I'm used to a humming sensation. The sound comes out insanely good all the time, gives you a very powerful feeling (like if you drive a Humvee or hold a .44 Magnum). To hear the tone with a lot of low end: "Aluminum" and "Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground" by The White Stripes (the first song has the Big Muff used with distortion on the amp). To hear it how I love it with a bit thinner sound but more fuzz and crunch: "Touch Me I'm Sick" by Mudhoney, the classic Grunge song. Nirvana used it a little bit (it was used on the song Lithium according to the producer Butch Vig) and the Smashing Pumpkins also used it, one example is on the song "Hummer." As I've said, turn it to the right to get the crunch and fuzz, turn it to the left and that fades away to some low end. If you want to get a perfect balance of both, turn the tone knob all the way right and turn the low end dial on your amp up to the 8-10 zone. Now you're in tone heaven. I'm using it with a Washburn Maverick BT4, an Epiphone Les Paul Jr. and a Behringer GMX212 (pretty good setup for very little money). // 10

Reliability & Durability: If you've ever seen the pictures of this taken apart, it's basically one circuit board and a few wires, protected by one very thin metal sheet. It could probably fit inside a Boss or DigiTech pedal size, but then where would the kickass graphics go? My point is that it is pretty hollow, so don't jump on it or you might crush it in. You can stomp on it to an extent though, but usually just needs a little tap. I would use it at a gig if I had my adapter with me ($12 extra. It comes with a battery which I've heard last over 6 months but just get the adapter so you don't have to know in the back of your mind that it might die. You'll spend $12 on batteries after a while anyway. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall this is probably the greatest and most infamous distortion pedal ever created. In the instruction sheet it calls the Big Muff Pi the greatest distortion/sustain device ever created (but this coming from the company themselves). One thing also in the instruction manual I'd like to point out is that it claims it was used by Jimi Hendrix - FALSE, the Big Muff was introduced in 1971, a year after Jimi died. Anyway, I love the tone, the cool graphics, ease of use, how it comes alive instantly, no delay in turning on, that tone is the best damn tone I've ever heard. I'm not so fond of: the size, it is kind of big and clunky and could be a little smaller, that the company constantly brags about how it was used by Hendrix, the warranty card only gives you 10 days to mail in the sheet or else no 1 year warranty, it isn't as strong as it could be, on the high E string on the very high frets, sometimes when you're playing fast it gets clipped (some of the notes don't make it). If you're thinking about getting it, you should. The tone is very distinctive, you can tell a Big Muff over any other generic distortion pedal. It's so rich, creamy, crunchy, and all analog. Check the Wikipedia. com entry for Big Muff to see what songs it was used on and more information (and I took the picture there - it is of my pedal). // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2005

Ease of Use: This unit is extremely easy to use It has three knobs: volume, tone, sustain (distortion). It is impossible not to get a good sound out of this beast it's awesome! All you have to do is step on the button and nicest fuzz/distortion ever whatever you have it set on! // 10

Sound: I use my Big Muff with a Squire Strat (it sucks but I get pretty good sounds out of it), Vox Wah, Boss DD6, Ibanez 7th Heaven (worst distortion ever)and a Marshall MG100DFX. The Big Muff sounds great it is probably one of the most versatile fuzz/distortion pedals ever. With the tone knob all the way to the right you get a cool filthy high pitch sound and with the tone all the way to the left you get a wicked thick sounding dirstortion and in between are all kinds great sounds I normally have the tone slightly past 12 o'clock only just though so it is still thick but also cuts through. The sustain knob is also great it can take you from extreme distorted mahem to a quiet slightly fuzzed mellow sound. My favourite band is The Smashing Pumpkins and they too use Big Muffs so it is easy for me to get a pumpkin sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely use it on a gig without a backup it is very dependable I have used the same battery in it for almost 6 months and it is still going strong. It does have a 9v power supply input but I am yet to need it as the battery has lasted so long. // 10

Overall Impression: I play shrump rock and it is a perfect match since me and my band invented the style. I have been playing for about 9 months but am a quick learner. The main reasons I bought this pedal were the fact that it was extremely versatile and I could get a really pumpkiny sound out of it. If this were stolen I would hunt down the guy that stole it and get it back I wouldn't hurt him because I mean who could blame the guy this is the greatest distortion ever. // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: redandwhite12, on august 21, 2012

Ease of Use: Relatively simple to use. With three knobs, Volume, Tone, and Sustain, there's not many places you can go wrong. Good sounds are available with most settings and a user can find some classic tones located within this "Box of Rock". // 8

Sound: A Big Muff never really fails to preform what it is meant to do, provide massive amounts of clipping and scoop out the mids. This is exactly what mine did. The distortion is smooth and gives plenty of sustain for long elegant leads. I currently use this pedal with a Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute and the P-90s manage a really unique sound with the use of some good old Muffage. The neck pickup provides a good tone for soaring leads with an almost nasal quality. Flicking the pickup selector to the bridge gives a sound that would satisfy someone in search of a Dan Auerbach or Jack White style fuzz tone. A great place to be when playing dirty, nasty blues rock licks. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The metal casing seems a little bit shady in my opinion. But while its not a Boss or DigiTech I'm sure it could hold its own in a mean stomp session. The on/off switch falling into the chassis after constant pressing maybe a concern to excessive users as well. To my surprise the black paint of the front was also removed very easily. The scratch of a fingernail can remove a decent amount of paint. I think that in the case of durability perhaps a Little Big Muff would be more suiting but the Muff does its job well and I'm sure would not fail if used properly. // 7

Overall Impression: This pedal is an absolute classic. Along with the Fuzz Face and Tone Bender it is one of the big three to many. With users ranging from the likes of Jack White to Dave Gilmour to Carlos Santana it is easy to see why. Its tone shaping qualities are not for every one especially those that love a trebly-midsy fuzz but a Big Muff will never fail a user searching for that bassy rumbly riffage or smooth sustaining leads. // 7

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: BlackLotusFox, on february 27, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is extremely easy to use, you plug it in and mess with the three knobs, volume, tone and sustain. The tone and sustain will alter how much fuzz and how sharp or muddy it is. Other than that, there's nothing to worry about. // 10

Sound: I'm playing with a MIM Strat with a Hot Rails in the bridge and I must say this pedal was more than I was expecting. I've never played with a fuzz pedal before and I've now fallen in love with the sound. It's perfect for my style of music. It's very easy to dial in any sound I want and it has this really great smooth fuzz, sound alot like Gilmour's solos on The Wall. // 10

Reliability & Durability: From what I've seen, this thing is really durable. I can smash on it pretty hard. I'd play without a backup. Just have to make sure you have batteries, but they last a really long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I play progressive/psychedelic rock and blues, a lot of Pink Floyd but also a lot heavier newer things like The Mars Volta. This pedal works for everything I need as a fuzz. I'm planning on getting more overdrives for boosters to make my sound change a bit more. If it were stolen or lost I'd get a new one for sure. The thing I love best about this pedal is that it totally suprised me when I bought it, I've fallen in love with the thing. // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: boogs420, on september 30, 2006

Ease of Use: The Big Muff Pi is a pretty straight-forward guitar pedal. With volume, sustain, and tone you can get some good distortions for bass and guitar. Mine didn't include a manual, so I don't know if they don't come with them or mine was just forgotten, but even without the manual it's pretty simple to manipulate. // 8

Sound: I play guitar and bass and use this pedal for both instruments. For guitar I plug a hot rodded mexi strat into the Big Muff, from the Big Muff I plug into an epi valve jr. this setup can give me some thick creamy tones similar to hendrix, but with the tone turned all the way up it can get too trebly and actually annoying. I have a Cort B5 and plug that into the Big Muff then into a GK BC115 combo. I can get some smooth Muse like tones. When used for bass, the treble really cuts through the mix. Although a great sounding fuzz pedal, fuzz doesnt't usually fit into many genres so it isn't very versatile. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The Big Muff is pretty light, like various other e-h pedals it has a very thin shell that doesnt't't seem to strong but so far has held up really well. The decal on the top looks good but comes off very easily, you could probably scrape it off with your nail, but when some comes off it has a cool "Vintage" vibe to it. I can depend on it but I would bring extra batteries because I don't have enough pedals to make a daisy chain worthwile. But it does have an ac jack for those Who do want to be free of batteries. // 8

Overall Impression: I dabble in everything from punk to funk to screamo and hardcore to ska and some folk. The big muff suits punk and some ska but that's about it. if your going for a nice tube fuzz then this is great. But for other things, it's not all too versatile. if it were stolen, I'd probably be angry for a while then go buy a bassballs pedal. I've been liking those more and more lately. I have the American one and I like it. I haven't had much experience with the Russian version but I do know that the output and input jacks are reversed on the Russian one and I believe that the russian doesnt't have true bypass. // 8

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: nRN, on august 10, 2011

Purchased from: coastal music

Ease of Use: Pretty easy to use, just 3 knobs, its not Rocket science. I think there's no manual or maybe I was just robbed of one. I have a new addition of this and I couldnt tell the difference between this and the older models. It has a unique casing which I love and think its great that they kept the same design and style from the Vintage ones. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Roland Cube and Gibson Les Paul Std. I love this pedal, one of my favourites. I play with a bit more bass from my amp then usual for a different and in my opinion better sound gives a better sound for the pedal (try it). I don't really turn the tone knob past two thirds cause I feel its too fuzzy for me. What's nice is that could turn up the sustain and drop the tone to give you a more distorted sound rather than fuzzy, although pushing the sustain full on will give you allot of feed back. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable pedal, though the battery does die quikly, so opt for the power supply one time or I gigged get rechargeable batteries (going green). I remember playing on stage once and my power supply just stopped work (boos power supply let me down, dammit), I only had one 9v battery so I put in the Big Muff. The night was awesome, people came up to me and asked what stompboxes I used, and they where surprised it was just that one pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: Once again, I love this pedal and will never leave to any gig without it. I play different genres of music from blues to hard rock, yet I find a way to incoroporate this pedal with all of them. I hated fuzz pedals but the sound. If I lost this I would defnitely replace this ASAP, and yes, I would buy one from someones boot if they sold it. // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: Red-Vex, on may 21, 2004

Ease of Use: When you plug it in for the first time, you surely going to spend one or two hours striking on your strings and jumping all over the place. It has three knobs you can work on: (1)Volume control, (2)Sustain and (3)Tone. You need to hit some kind of button to turn it on rather than a pedal. I would prefer the classical kind of switch for it (that is the pedal) but the button, yet a little uncomfortable, still works. It needs to be fed with a 9V battery, that in my case was included in the pack; hopefully in yours too. // 10

Sound: I'm using it on a Crafter Stratocaster like guitar and on a Fender Frontman Reverb Amp, 15W. I still have to try it on a friend of mine's Marshall, but I wonder what would happen then, since it really seemed to turn my small amp into one of those hundreds-of-watts monsters. It isn't noisy at all, rather it looks like when I turn it on it cleans my amp's background noise!The sound you can get out if it is powerful and strong and you can get anything from metal like System of A Down, even choppier like Slipknot, to a chunkier one like Nirvana's. The distortion is amazing and really tweakable. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Despite it's about a week I have it, it looks really solid. Perhaps the button you need to push is a little weaker, but a friend of mine who has very low care of his stuff still has his own big muff working. I don't think this big bad boy would fail, and I can only tell because my friend's never has. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly Nirvana and Muse. This pedal is the one I was looking for all over; I was in the shop and compared it with the Boss DS-2. At first I heard the DS-2 and I said: "great!Can I try that one now please?", and when I heard IT, I kinda screamed: "this is the one for me!". I've been playing for about 1 year and this is my first pedal. I used to use my amp's distortion before, but now you can bet I'll no longer need it!If anybody stole it or I lost it I wouldn't think twice about it: either run after the guy and ram it on his balls then taking it back or buying a new one. // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: SYH_Fan, on october 22, 2005

Ease of Use: Very easy to use. This is the strong point of this pedal. Only three controls, and clean mode. There is basically no manual. Just plug in and play. // 10

Sound: I use it with a 2004 Fender American Stratocaster. It is not noisy at all. Absolutely no noise in clean mode. Some hum in distortion mode. The effects always sound great. Expect a sounds like Hendrix, Smashing Pumpkins (Siamese Dream), Nirvana (Nevermind). The pedal exceeds in its treble tone, with full sustain. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable due to its simplicity. But if I were a pro, I would keep a backup, because the electrical board is naked against the battery and that makes me nervous. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Smashing Pumpkins/Nirvana/Muse style music. Perfect match. Both Cobain and Corgan used this pedal themselves, so there really isn't any better pedal you could get to emulate their sound. I have been playing for nearly three years and I only own one guitar and one 15W Fender amp. I wish I had asked about the infamous tone loss that this pedal causes at high volumes. It is a concern. I love the simplicity and ease of use. My favorite feature is the sustain. It is very effective and makes high notes stand out, like on the "Cherub Rock" (Pumpkins) solo. I hate how you have to balance the pedal's volume with the amp volume to get a good sound. It requires some time to get the volume settings where you want it and the volume affects the tone which is not good. // 9

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: IThinkNot, on january 02, 2006

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: I think the fact that the manual is one tiny piece of paper speaks for itself. 3 knobs: volume, tone, and sustain (fuzz). One thing I don't like about it is that the tone knob is fairly unresponsive. It goes from bassy to trebly quite quickly, with a fairly small middle ground. I have found a few nice sounds regardless. // 9

Sound: I'm using with a MIM Tele through a Vox AD50VT. This allows for a little extra tweaking with all the settings on the Vox. I tend to use the pedal with the Fender and Vox style amp models. It gets mildy noisy, but not unbearable; it is a fuzz pedal after all. You can get a nice Dinosaur Jr. sound easily out of this. Smashing Pumpkins too. I'm still figuring out how it is for soloing by itself. It's pretty nice for rhythm though. One thing that is kind of wierd is the dynamics of the sound. It's hard to describe. Doesn't palm mute very well. It's not bad, I actually like the uniqueness of it, but heavy palm muters should avoid this pedal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: From what I can tell, it's built very sturdy. The casing is all metal. It's not a Boss, but it's also not some crappy plastic thing. On eBay they have plenty of them from the '70s that are all scratched up, but still working fine, so that seems to be a good indication of its reliability. // 9

Overall Impression: This pedal is really nice to get a certain kind of sound. I play indie rock and I like to get a nice wall of noise, which this pedal lends itself to. I would say that you should try this pedal out before you buy, just so you know exactly what you are getting. I think some people might not like it, but it's perfect for other people. // 9

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: aic_rooster, on january 23, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: This pedal is fairly simple. Three knobs to dial in your volume, tone and sustain. The pedal is really easy to get a good sound out of, but be warned, low quality amps will sell this pedal short. This is a classic pedal putting out the fuzz needed for those like Hendrix, Smashing Pumpkins, White Stripes or really any kind of rock with a fuzzy kind of distortion. // 9

Sound: I'm running it through an SG and a Fender amp. It is excellent in keeping unwanted noise out. This pedal is a stompbox and when you stomp it, it kicks in with a passion. Works great when used in collusion with overdriven amps or basic Overdrive effects. Acts as a boost to really bring out those solos. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definetly use this without a backup. A highly dependable and solid pedal. The 9v batt it uses goes a long way before you'll need to replace it. Although when the battery gets low the pedal can be a touch weak. // 10

Overall Impression: I play primarily the '90s alternative and Grunge scene. Of course I also play Hendrix and some classic stuff. This pedal is a great match for it, and is something every guitarist will end up buying in the end to get the fuzz sound that is unmatched by competitors. The only thing I'd have to say critically of it, is that the input output jacks are opposite of each other. Not a big deal but if you had a really short cable that couldn't reach or something, it may be an issue but I'd doubt it. If it were lost or stolen I would 100% buy this again. It really is unrivaled by other pedals in its class. If you want fuzz, Big Muff is the way to go. // 9

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: dondude, on july 10, 2006

Ease of Use: This is an awesome sounding fuzz box. It is fairly simple to get a great tone, but with every different pedal, you have to "test" it out and see how it works for you and how to get the sound you want. I didn't find a manual with mine. With other pedals I have bought it gave you setting pictures for different sound that you could get and I like that, but I didn't get that with this pedal. But it didn't take me long to figure out how I wanted this thing to sound like it does. // 8

Sound: I use this mainly with my les paul. If you get it up high enough it will get pretty loud. At first I thought it was kind of weak, but only because I was not used to fuzz. It has great tone. The band Wolfmother inspired me to buy this pedal and that is what I use it for mostly. I also use it for some early Zeppelin, Sabbath, and of course the creator of fuzz, Jimi Hendrix. I like the sustain setting allowing me to hold chords. I love how it does not get too saturated if you get it up high. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable. Would never consider a back up. I have had it for almost a month, and the battery doesn't even look like it lost any juice. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock mostly and this is a great match for that stuff. I have been playing for about 3 years. Other pedals I have are Boss blues driver, Boss phase shifter, DigiTech Whammy, Vox wah. I would buy another one if something happened to the one I have now. My favorite feature would have to be the sustain. When I was in Guitar Center, it was between this, or the Seymour Duncan tweak fuzz. The Duncan was cool, but you just can't beat that classic tone of Big Muff. I also compard this to the Big double muff. I did not like that at all because in the long run, probably would have ended up using only one of them, and it gave me too much saturation. So I chose this Big Muff. // 9

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: jackh131, on september 18, 2006

Purchased from: eBay.co.uk

Ease of Use: I purchased my Big Muff about half a year ago from eBay.co.uk, and it is by far my favourite pedal. It is very easy to use, just 3 knobs, tone, volume and sustain, a monkey could work out how to use this thing. It's very eacy to get a nice dirty 'wall of fuzz' type of sound from it. // 9

Sound: I use this with a Fender Telecaster and a Roland Cube 60 amplifier. My setup is by no means amazing, but this pedal still sounds great, you never get loads of feedback from this pedal which is good, although I do know some guitarists do like messing atound with feedback. I find that this pedal is very good for a Queens Of The Stone Age-esque sound. Overall this is a great fuzz pedal, although one downside is that it isn't very versatile. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is pretty solid, even though the metal casing isn't very thick. Mine has been bashed around quite a bit and still works perfectly, I did once think that it had stopped working though, but then I realised I just needed a new battery. I would confidently use it during a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play music by a variety of different bands, going from Radiohead to Led Zeppelin to Queens Of The Stone Age, and it works well for all of them. It works well with my other gear. If it broke (unlikely) I would happily fork out the cash for another one. I don't like the fact that you can't alter the amount of the fuzz but I would probably have it on full most of the time anyway. When I bought this, it was either this or a Pro-Co Rat, and I'm glad I chose this. // 9

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: Axeslayer55, on november 22, 2006

Purchased from: Pedal Geek

Ease of Use: It is amazing easy to get a good sound out of it. If you just kepp the 3 knobs at 12 O' Clock you'll be blown away by it. It has Volume, Tone, and Sustain. Volume is obvious. Tone allows you to choose between a trebly sound or a deep bass. Sustain controls the sustain and distortion. // 10

Sound: I'm using this crappy amp I don't even know what it is. But at the store I used it through a tube amp, I don't know exactly which one. It's not noisy at all. The effects always sound great. It's awesome all around. It can become a full blown crank sound when you turn the sustain knob all the way. The volume will just add well more volume to it, giving it more kick. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very dependable it's all metal, big and sturdy. I would definetly not need a back up. If I needed a back up then it would just have to be another one. Nothing compares to this pedal. It's said Jimi Hendrix used it also. it's actually one of the biggest pedals I've ever seen ecspecially for distortion. And that's not a problem. That just adds to it's sturdyness. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues, metal, hard rock. It fits all styles. I've been playing for 3 years. I also have the Boss DS1 and for those of you need a distortion pedal I'd save up an extra $40 for this one. I've compared them and the Big Muff blows it away. If you don't believe me try it yourself. I would definetly buy another one if it was lost or stolen. // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: leid sepplin, on december 28, 2006

Ease of Use: First of all I will go ahead and say that I have the american reissue big muff, but have played the russian. Well there is only one slip of paper to show how to work this thing, so that just goes to show. There are only 3 knobs. Volume: contrary to what some people say, the volume part of the pedal is actually very useful in making a sound. High volume makes the fuzz more noisy, while low volume makes the fuzz more Overdrive like. Tone: This changes how Bassy, or trebly the guitar is. there is really no midrange, just bassy, or trebly. Sustain: this says sustian but it's more like fuzz/distortion. This is where you can really experiment. Turning the tone and sustain to about 3 o'clock will give you a hendrix like tone, while tone in the middle and sustain at 8, will give you a more blusey tone. Really simple for someone like me to Pick up, play, and sound good. // 10

Sound: My current setup is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and Crate GFX212. This can be a noisy pedal with sustain and tone all the way up. I have humbuckers and I still get pretty bad feedback and hiss. In my opinion this pedal always sounds good no matter what setting you have it on. It's also for a good range of fuzz rock, Hendrix, alternative, classic rock. The only thing this pedal does wrong is the tone. there should be a switch more than a knob for it. It is really only low-end, and high-end. It also has a creamer tone than the russian bif muff, which is better for heavier music. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You can definatly depend on this pedal. It has a sturdy casing, and seems like it will last a long time. I wouldn't rely on it at a gig right now, though, because I don't have the adaptor yet. The adaptor is only 12 bucks so it's not a major setback, but I don't have the time to mess with it right now. Too bad it didn't come with the pedal (I'm looking at you Electro-Harmonix). // 9

Overall Impression: I mostly play classic rock and some hard rock, so this is a really good match. I've been playing for about 3 years and this is my first fuzz/distortion pedal and I love it. If it were stolen I'd buy it again, definatly! I've only had it for about a month and already have some songs that rely on it. And once again this is much creamier and better for classic rock then the russian big muff. I chose this though cause of what I play. But you should go out yourself and try both to see which you like best! // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: PumpkinPieces, on february 02, 2007

Ease of Use: This is a very easy to use pedal. Just three knobs: Volume, Tone, Sustain. Directions are helpful, but if you've owned any pedal before it should be second nature. the more you turn the tone knob, the more trebley it gets, the more you turn the sustain the more gain. Overall very easy to use. // 9

Sound: I've played it through a Peavy Transtube amp but I own a Marshall MG 100 half stack. Sounded the same out of either. I have many guitars but I've currently only played my FenderTelecaster and 99' Epiphone LP Junior P-90 through it. With the P-90 it has some noise when the Sustain is up real high, but nothing annoying. It's a great sounding pedal I haven't had a problem with it. I can get a great Smashing Pumpkins tone out of it, any of their heavy songs from Siva to Everlasting Gaze. I can also get good Classic Rock tones like AC/DC and Zeppelin if I turn the Sustain down. As well as Grunge, I can get some nice feedback, I can control the feedback, I guess you'd say. And the tone knob really gives you a nice range of tones. Very well done, Electro-Harmonix. Just what I was looking for. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this, I'd gig with it but then again I'd have my other "Crossroads" pedal anyways, in case if it gave out. But I think it'd hold up well. also stays in place, and doesn't slide around much. Good stuff. Rather big though, not a bad thing, actually makes it easier to see and press. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from Ska to Blues to Metal, and much in between, this pedal suits my Smashing Pumpkins fix easily. I've been playing for a year and a half, and I play in a ska band and my own alternative/Grunge band. I compared it with the Double Muff, and this one was the better buy in my eyes. if it were stolen I'd rebuy it in a heartbeat. I love everything about this pedal, it's heavy, it's grungey, it's fuzzy, it just kicks the pants off anyone listening. I like how big the pedal is too, good to kind of make jokes about. But overall a great buy, I'm completely satisfied with buying this, no regrets. // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: jo3myster, on april 07, 2008

Ease of Use: I have heard from some people that this pedal is not worth it, but when I tried it out it sounds fine.I personally like the sound of this pedal. I use the Muff for an overdrive/booster/sustainer pedal. The only thing I don't like about this pedal is it didn't come with an instruction manual. The use of this pedal is pretty simple after you play with it for a while. There is only 3 knobs so it's not that hard to figure out how the sound works. // 9

Sound: I use an Epiphone G-400 SG with Seymour Duncan (JB-4 Bridge, Jazz model neck) pickups, and an Ibanez RG series through a Marshall MG100DFX Head through Marshall MG412 Cabinet. It is not my most used of all of my pedals but when I do use it, I use it to be loud! It sounds great for soloing or when you just want an extra boost. It sounds pretty good for "The Fall Of Troy", which was the main reason why I got this pedal because Thomas Erak uses a similar model to mine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can always rely on this pedal. I mean come on this thing is in complete metal casing. It is pretty much impossible to break this thing on accident. But there is one flaw, the little LED light thingy is not the strongest. I had it on a small table in my practice area and it fell off of the table. I thought nothing of it until I looked at the LED light and it fell back into the pedal. This in no way affected the sound of this pedal it is just another minor inconvenience. You just will have to play with it to see if it is on or off. But otherwise this pedal is pretty strong. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal/rock style songs, this pedal is a perfect match. I have been playing for about a year now so I am still looking for new pedals that float my boat, so if this was broken or stolen I would just buy a different pedal to experiment with. I wish I would have asked if there was an instruction manual or something to help me with the sound. I wish this pedal had more tone control knobs so I could shape the sound more. And it would be a lot nicer if it had an ac adapter instead of using 9 volts which are super expensive. // 8

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: Blompcube, on june 02, 2008

Purchased from: Trevor Davies Music

Ease of Use: Its very easy to get the best sound to suit you out of this pedal. It has only 3 controls, Volume, Tone (Anti-clockwise is treble cut/bass boost, and clockwise is vice versa), and Sustain (basically the level of compression and to a lesser extent saturation, like gain, but sustain is a more accurate label for what it does). it's so easy to use, I haven't actually read the manual. Mine is the NYC USA muff, which I got because it's all they had in TDM. // 10

Sound: I mainly use this with a Fender Cyclone HS and a Laney VC30 combo. It is a little noisy, but it's a fuzz/distortion. Actually, there's a lot less noise than most of this type of pedal. Of course, turning the sustain up to full makes it crackle a little, but I think that's a result of outside interference. The effect itself is pure energy. Don't expect pleasant, smooth warm clipping, because this is a fuzzbox. What you get is an incredibly gritty, raw, all powerful dirty sound, with bass levels through the roof. it's so thick sounding, if you use a downtuned guitar for rhythm, you won't need to add a bass guitar to the mix, because the guitar will fill out that range of frequencies. it's almost as if there is a sub-octave. You can dial this out with the tone knob and go for all out treble, but I think it can sound very shrill if you turn it up too much, especially if you have a bright voiced amp like mine. I usually have the tone a little below half, so there's the subsonic bass response but with just enough treble to sharpen the sound a little. It is scooped in the midrange, so it could get lost in the mix, but I usually match the volume of everything to the midrange so that it my guitar won't disappear out of the mix when I Switch it on, and it works. This pedal also works great as a bass fuzz, although I prefer how it sounds with bass if you turn the sustain almost as low as it can go. So it's not perfect, but it's still a great sound. I didn't get this pedal with the intention of getting the sound of my favourite artists, as none of them actually used a big muff regularly, but it's very good for Nirvana, even though kurt cobain only ever used a big muff on 1 or 2 songs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've not had an opportunity to rehearse with it yet, let along gig, but I think it will last. It is well constructed, like all EHX pedals, but the sheet metal does kinda worry me, because it seems to bend momentarily when I unplug the cables from the input/output jacks. Seems like it could dent with road abuse, but nothing that'll effect the performance of the pedal. Well, the sheet metal construction doesn't really worry me as much as I just suggested it does, otherwise I wouldn't have bought 3 EHX pedals. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of music, from classic to modern rock, punk, blues, and while this is a better match for the modern rock and punk sounds, there are also a bunch of classic rock bands that used the big muff "back in the day", so it could suit some classic rock. I've been playing since I was about 7 years old, but I stopped playing when I was about 10 or 11, then went back to it when I was 15, I think. I'm now 18. whether that counts as 11 years of playing guitar or not, I don't know. I'll just say I've been playing about 3 years. In the way of distortion I also own a Boss DS-2 and a Marshall Jackhammer. The guy in the shop told me everything he knew about big muffs before I bought it so I didn't need to ask anything! If it was stolen, I'd definitely get another, because it's an important part of my sound now. I love the raw energy this thing seems to put in your hands. You get a real sense of power when you Switch this thing on, I'm not a very confident person, but I do become much more confident when I start using the big muff. I guess my only issue with it is the slight mid-scoop that makes me need to boost the overall volume to match the midrange. When I'm recording, especially, I end up matching the input volume to my clean sound, then when the big muff comes in with the mid-frequency volume matching, boom, it's clipped. I guess that's my problem, not the fault of the pedal itself. I didn't compare this to anything else. I just tried it out and was completely blown away by the sound and had to have it, when I was looking for a fuzz. It was also the only fuzzbox I could find locally. Prior to that, I was considering the Ibanez FZ-7 in the same shop, but that was sold before I got a chance to try it out. The only thing I wish this pedal had was a bit more midrange frequencies. But it's a great pedal anyway, I'd recommend them to anyone Who is looking for a thick, dirty fuzz. // 9

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: PeteTLT, on august 11, 2008

Price paid: C$ 75

Ease of Use: O boy do I like fuzz! And this is one fuzz! It has three nobs to easy control your volume, sustain and tone. The sustain is the crunch that you get in the fuzz, the tone controls and makes miner detail cahnges which is really what you need to get the perfect sound. // 10

Sound: I'm using it on a Peavey amp with clean settings and I can pull of any sound I want. With the sustain all the way up and the tone just a slight bit down, you can emulate almost all (if not all) Silversun pickups songs and make really any song sound so much better. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is one of the most dependable pedals I've used. I have a Boss MT-2 metalzone and what I find with it and many other distortion pedals like it is the fact that it seems to amplify the small amount of static I get fro certian guitars into a low buzz, but with this pedal there has been no such trouble. As far a durability is concerned, jump all over this bad boy. It has a nice medal casing that has stopped any damage I could have caused so far. The only reason I am giving it an 9 is that the nobs are reliable all the time. I'm not saying they don't read right, I'm just saying that nobs are easily turned and if you intend to jump all over it, you may change ur settings slightly (seeing as the closest nob seems to be the tone for me). // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I am very impressed with this pedal. I had explored every possibility to do with distortion and this is the only one I'm totally satisfied with. I've been playing with it a little less than a month but I have put it through it's pases and even the battery has lived up to the pedal expectation. I estimate it has been on a total of 15 hours on the one battery. I have not found a song that can't use a big helping of muff. // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: evilbeaver22, on december 08, 2008

Ease of Use: The Russian made Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi is the Holy Grail of fuzz pedals. First manufactured in the early seventies, the Big Muff was based heavily on the distorted sound popularized by Jimi Hendrix. This pedal is very simple, one input, one output, one volume knob, one tone knob, and one sustain knob. The sustain knob regulates the amount of distortion, and goes from almost a clean boost at zero to a grinding, spitting fuzz at ten. Between the two extremes there are a wide array of beautiful fuzz sounds, and wherever you put the chickenhead knob, you're sure to find a great sound. This sonic array is augmented by the tone knob that shapes the distortion from a deep throaty growl, perfect for bass guitarists, to a screaming Overdrive. This pedal requires almost no tweaking to make it sing, and it's easy to transform the sound. // 9

Sound: I am playing a Fender Jaguar hh special through a Peavey windsor, and this pedal perfectly compliments the Vintage class a distortion with everything from a touch of sweet sustain to a load of heavy distortion. The pedal can be a tad noisy, but this can be easily countered by rolling back on the volume knob of your guitar. This effect sounds great with most other effects aside from other distortion pedals, but this isn't really an issue as the fuzz sounds great by itself. This pedal is great for emulation the heavily distorted tones of most guitarists. It's easy to get a hendrixesque fuzz sound, or to roll on the gain and get a heavier early sabbath sound. The unit wouldn't do modern metal well though, as the pedal leans towards a fuzz sound more than a distortion at high gains. The unit sounds best with a mid to high tone and sustain, which creates a fat harmonically rich seventies distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pedal feels solid, and comes in a fairly Solid Metal case. My only complaints about the durability would be that the Russian Fuzz doesn't have a 9v jack, so you have to keep fresh batteries on hand if you want to use it on stage. For diyers, adding the jack is an easy mod which I have done myself and will add an extra layer of security to the sound if you plan to gig with it. The casing is fairly large, and if any components did fail, they would be easily replaceable. I would happily gig with this without a backup distortion, but I always bring some extra 9v's just in case. // 8

Overall Impression: This pedal is perfect for creating the rich, fat, distortion that was popular in the late sixties and early seventies. If it were stolen, I'd definitely buy a new one. The pedal looks good, feels solid, and most importantly sounds phenomenal, all for around fifty bucks. I prefer it to tube screamers, fuzz faces, and Boss distortions because of it's natural analog tone, and beautiful retro styling. // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: georgez, on january 12, 2009

Ease of Use: Electro-Harmonix's Big Muff Pi has three large knobs: Volume, Tone and Sustain. With volume-knob you can control the output of the Big Muff. With Tone you can control tone (surprise! ) of the fuzz. Right down to the right it's annoying, treble-boosted etc. and I can't see why anyone would use it otherwise it was just freakin' aroound. I prefer to turn it somewhere near 11 o'clock. Sustain-knob controls the amount of sustain and fuzz. I got the short manual with this product. It was about the knobs and batteries etc. Big Muff Pi is very easy to use and it's easy to get just the sounds you want. // 10

Sound: I use Big Muff Pi with Ibanez RG350EX and Squier Strat. As amp I use Yamaha's Fifty112 which is very old yet fine for me. In the manual there read that due to Big Muff's ultra high gain all the cables must be working correct or there will be hum. Of course if Sustain Knob is right down to the right it's noisier than Sustain Knob turned right to the left. The fuzz is not weak; it's awesome and just what I was expecting for this. The sounds I get out of this effect are all great, perfect! // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Big Muff is bigger than Boss or DigiTech pedals, though I believe that all the stuff inside that thin cover would fit in to Boss pedal. I definetely can depend on this. There's not breakable things there and if you don't run over it riding elefant it won't probably break up. I will use this on a gig without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play progrock and sometimes some blues and Big Muff Pi has suited to everything I have played with it. Amount of fuzz can be controlled from the indieguitarbuzz to Zeppelin sounds and even further. If this will be stolen, I will search the dirty thief to my hands and then beat HIM up, and if I couldn't I would buy another. // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: toyboxmonster, on march 02, 2009

Price paid: C$ 89

Purchased from: Spaceman Music

Ease of Use: The EHX Big Muff is configured as any other 3-knob distortion pedal: it features 1 volume, 1 tone, and one gain (sustain) knob. Amongst the numerous goodies now included in the package (one of which is a DVD of EHX pedal demos) is a manual. It's unnecessary, really, but it's there. There can be no "bad" sounds produced by this pedal; that is to say, there is only one sound that this pedal can achieve, and it's a good one. Fiddling with the sustain will result in a very slight mellowing or harshening of sound, but in all honestly, there isn't much tweaking of your sound involved. // 10

Sound: The Electro-Harmonix Big Muff, like the Pro Co Rat and the Arbiter Fuzz Face, is the kind of pedal that has a very distinctive sound. It's a one-trick pony; if you buy this, it's because you're looking for that 'Big Muff sound'. If you're looking for a versatile, all-purpose distortion, than this isn't it. One sound can be attained: a rich, silky smooth gargle. The USA Big Muff has a strong low-end in comparison to the scratchier, treblier Sovtek Big Muff, which is great for the wall-of-sound ambient drones that I play, but also for warm blues and rock 'n' roll sounds. It isn't noisy at all, though the Switch does sometimes emitt an audible pop that gets repeated if you're running a delay or reverb unit. It's nowhere near as versatile as a Zvex Fuzz Factory or the like, but if you're looking for a Big Muff sound, this is the only way to go. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I disagree with the general impression that this is a reliable product. The USA Big Muff feels brittle to me; I find myself handling it very delicately for fear that it will break. I much rather the tough casing on the Russian version, or the die-cast armour of the Little Big Muff. // 7

Overall Impression: Combined with the right effects boxes, the Big Muff is capable of tremendous walls of distorted ambience. I usually use a Fender Jaguar Special > Dunlop Cry Baby > Big Muff > DigiTech RP-300A > DigiTech Digiverb > Fender JAM. This setup does deliver exactly the sort of sound I need, but versatility is an important factor to me as I'd like to save space on an expanding pedal board, so I'll probably sell it to help finance a Fuzz Factory. If anything, I wish it was capable of harsher sounds; if I were to replace it with another Big Muff, I think I'd go for it's Russian cousin. The only real trouble with this pedal is that it takes a "male" adaptor, but Electro-Harmonix corrected this on the Litte Big Muffs. // 9

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: sugna_slays, on may 11, 2009

Ease of Use: The Big Muff with Tone Wicker is really just the standard NYC version of the Big Muff with two upgrades. There are the three standard knobs, and then the two switches. The first knob is volume. Then, the tone knob which has a wide range from boomy, undefined mud to thin and biting. And the last knob is called sustain; this controls the amount of distortion and how long a note will hold. When sustain is dimed, you will have a note sustain for minutes. Then there are the two switches. The first one is the tone Switch, which is a bypass for the tone knob. When engaged, the tone functions normally, but when off, it turns off the tone knob and gives a huge sound which causes an increase in volume. The second Switch is the wicker, which opens up three high-frequency filters to give a more biting treble. Pretty easy to figure out on your own how stuff works. // 10

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone Goth Les Paul (meh) into this into a Raven 20-watt practice amp. A pretty lame setup, but I'm poor. Anyway, i get a great fuzzy distortion out of this box. I have the tone at 2 o'clock and the sustain maxed, but sometimes vary up the sustain to not have so much insanity. With the tone on and the wicker off, it is you basic big muff and doesn't hum very much. With the wicker flipped on, there is more treble and it bites harder. It also fizzes when you aren't playing, which can be annoying. When the tone is flipped off, it gets really loud and sound big. I love the abrasive sound i get from this and use the wicker as a boost for solos. The only improvement I would personally want is more feedback, but most people hate it, so take that for what you want. This is a fuzz pedal, so you can get Hendrix-like tones, but I think it's great for Grunge, smashing pumpkins, and nine inch nailsy sounds. Not really good for metal, which i don't really care for. If you want metal, get the Metal Muff. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This lives up to the stomp-box name. It's made out of metal and very well put together. I've stomped on this thing and it works as perfect as the day I got it. I would definitely gig without a backup (assuming I could get backups whenever I wanted). This thing is solidly built. // 10

Overall Impression: The Big Muff is one of the most famous effect pedals ever. This new version delivers the same basic tone with a few extra controls. However, if they were in stock at the time I bought this, I would have bought a Devi Ever fuzz pedal. If you like fuzz, then I guarantee you will find one you like on the website (deviever.com). The samples sound amazing and I would be regretting not buying one if the Big Muff wasn't great, but it gives a great sound and suit's my purposes. I recommend this pedal in favor of the regular Big Muff, simply for the extra controls, but I highly recommend looking at Devi Ever and making the choice for yourself. // 9

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: Mr. Tomnus, on july 16, 2009

Price paid: A$ 159

Ease of Use: this muff pedal is easy as pi (excuse the pun). Three knobs and a switch which ultimately make wonderful fart noises. I joke. There is a footswtich to turn the effect on and off, a knob for volume (and for you Boss users out there like myself, this pedal has great volume control in comparison to other distortion pedals, with the exception of the tube Screamer). The sustain knob controls how much distortion you get and the tone knob alters the sharpness of the sound. I play it safe for home practice and have the volume at 12 o'clock, which is about even with my amplifiers clean channel. // 10

Sound: My current set up for home practices are my hot rodded american strat (soon to be un-hot rodded). Strat to muff, muff to Boss od-3, od-3 to crybaby, crybaby to reverb pedal and then to my Fender frontman 15w amp. For when playing with my band it is the same except the frontman is replaced with a '59 bassman. It sounds amazing and actually for some reason reduces noise on my pedal board. I play pretty much everything from blues to metal (nothing really heavier than Metallica and Iron Maiden) and this pedal does it all. Depending on the song I will use this as either lead tones or rhythm. My usual setting is volume:12 0'clock, sustain: 3 o'clock, tone: 2 o'clock. This gives you what I call "perfect fuzz". Because on this setting you can do the hendrix funk fuzz, Muse style fuzz and my favourite, the same tone as dave gilmour in the solo from another brick in the wall pt. 2. And for the first time (after three other fuzz pedals, which admittedly were cheapo) I have a fuzz which plays nicely with wah. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have the russian model, which I felt was a bit sturdier than the us version, and yeah I know it isnt the 'Original fuzz' but hell, on the day I liked the sound more. I would use it at a gig without backup, mainly because I have built my own pedal board/case, which will take drops well. My only qualm is the lack of power jack for an adaptor. But when the warantee is voided in a year, I will put one in myself. But overall I think this is a fairly dependable pedal. // 8

Overall Impression: My band is pretty eclectic in what we play. Mix between blues, funk, rock and alternative. I am a pedal junkie, which has only been a development in the last year or so. I have played guitar solidly for the last 5 years and in my early adolescent years on and off (so about 7 all up) I'm now 18 and this is the newest edition to my collection. I have a Fender american standard strat and a Fender acoustic/electric as well as a Fender frontman amp and a Fender bassman amp (yeah I'm a bit of a Fender junkie, although I do love gibsons and marshalls, I just don't have the dough to get them, not that I'm unhappy with my gear). If it were lost or stolen I would want to replace it immediately, if not with a big muff, then a z-vex Fuzz Factory. But would deffinately be getting a muff. Before buying this pedal I compared it to a Boss and an MXR, and this one jsut blew me away. My only wish is that it had an adaptor jack. But plain and simple... I luff my muff. // 9

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: rockahollic1, on december 10, 2009

Purchased from: C.V. Lloyd Music

Ease of Use: It's a Big Muff... you've got volume, tone, and sustain (distortion/fuzz). Pretty self explanatory. My only qualm is that it's got the stupid pin power supply, so mine runs on batteries. That's it though. Great pedal, easy to use, easy to mod, but sounds and performs great stock! // 9

Sound: I use it with my Vox AD100XL usually, but I also use it with my little AC4TV. I run my Epi super-modded Les Paul Studio and a Gibson Flying V through it. Always sounds good, even when the battery is dying. It is quite noisy when the sustain is up all the way and I'm not playing. But if I'm not playing, something is VERY wrong... I can get a whole s**t ton of sounds out of this box, and they all are great. The thing about BMP's is that you kinda have to shop around for a REALLY good one. Sometimes a lemon gets through, but when you find a good one, you'll be hooked! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Half metal, half plastic. Sturdy plastic though, because I'm a rather large fellow and I stop the shit outta my pedals. This thing will last quite a while. I'd have to have a backup... Just because it's never smart to not have one. Especially when the pedal is only $70. 8 for the plastic though... // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly hard rock, but I also do classic rock, alternative, metal, and the like. Not really big on pop, and besides, most pop music can't appreciate the beastliness of a Big Muff. I've been playing for 4 years now, and I've got a pedal drawer already (yep, I'm a gearw***e). I have my fair share of fuzzes and distortions, and I still love this thing. It was one of my first pedals, and it still gets used regularly. I'd just get another one if it were stolen. The thing is, just about everyone has a Big Muff, so no need to worry about it! I love the gigantic fuzzzz it has. I HATE the noise, and how big it is sometimes. But the size is a statement. It's like saying "hey, f*** you Boss, DigiTech, MXR, etc! I don't need a compact fairy pedal! I've GOT A FREAKING TANK!" My favorite feature is the distortion/fuzz it has. Nothing comes close. I compared it to a Behringer Vintage Overdrive, my Fuzzface, Boss Fuzz, and this weird ass fuzz my buddy has (can't remember the brand). This thing has it's own flavor, but I really like it over the other pedals I tired. It just sounds... BIGGER than the rest. WALL OF SOUND big. I likes that. The only thing I wish it had was a normal 9v input and charger. That's it. // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: HomeRecording, on january 11, 2010

Ease of Use: This pedal is an extremely simple pedal to use. Volume. Sustain (Gain). Tone. Not a lot to complicate. You can get a great sound with the knobs in any place. // 10

Sound: I have a Telecaster going into an Epiphone Valve Junior stack. I had a Boss Ds-1 in this, but I wanted a different sound, so I went to Electro-Harmonix. The Russian Muff has a different tone than the normal Big Muff Pi. It's tough for me to describe exactly what the difference is. As soon as I plugged the pedal into my setup, I could get the tones for The White Stripes, Led Zeppelin and Guess Who. This pedal has a great fuzzy Overdrive in the middle gain levels, but cranked up, you can get some aggressive distortion. The pedal is sort of quiet, so you have to turn the volume up a little higher than other pedals, not a problem. The tone knob gives you many different options for sounds ranging from very rolled-off to very focussed trebly sounds. This is a very nice sounding pedal in my opinion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had any issues with this pedal so far. The only issue I can see would be that this doesn't have a power plug in. You have to either use 9 volt battery or find an adapter. // 8

Overall Impression: I play alternative/metal, and this pedal works very well for me. If I lost this pedal or it was stolen, I would definitely get another or look at the normal Big Muff Pi. Both pedals are great. Look at both Big Muff Pi or Little Big Muff and the Russian Muff pedals to compare them. // 8

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 20, 2010

Purchased from: ebay (second hand)

Ease of Use: It's fairly simple with just 3 nobs, but you do have to fiddle with the tone knob to get the sounds you want. I find it's a little over the top after you go past about 1'o clock. However the other two controls are fantastic to work with. Volume can go from nothing to mindblowingly loud, whilst the sustain knob can go from mild distortion to heavy distortion with a gradual increase in sustain too. Don't know much about the pedal really, doesn't have a manual or paperwork. Just a damn good pedal that looks and sounds like a big muff // 8

Sound: The sound is terrific. I use it with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus, with which the sustain can become too much for some ears, and a 1980 HH Studio50 combo which is a good clean and loud solid-state amp, but the distortion is far too mild and limited for me. I tried using a Vox V847 Original Wah, but the big muff sort of drowned it out- probably a bit too much sustain/gain. The sustain is just endless after 1'o clock on the knob. Of course it is completely subjective, but I think the fact that greats like Santana and Jack White and Muse like this for the same reason that I do. Versatility isn't the aim of this pedal, however, and it is of course hard to get anything sounding like organic, valve-driven Overdrive. I play mostly classic rock like Zeppelin, Clapton, Dire Straits, and I enjoy just jamming. Honestly, it doesn't suit these guys- for them you're better off getting a HardWire Valve Overdrive or a Boss of some sort. However, for jamming and simply rocking out I think it's amazing. It can handle metal quite well with its sustain as one might expect, but I don't venture that much into that area. One of the first things that impressed me with the big muff is how clear it sounds when not turned on. The specs of the reissue versions say they have true bypass, and it really is much better than my DigiTech Hot Head when clean. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a decent build though it is huge being a normal sized big muff. It's nice and metallic but it's going rusty, which I personally don't mind, so long as the electronics inside are OK! It's a sturdy stomp box despite being clearly quite old and worn. So yes, I would definitely depend on it, with an extra battery of course and I wouldn't bring a backup. Though as far as I'm concerned, you can never have too many distortion pedals. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play classic rock, but using this to just jam is the best use I can think of for it. I've been playing for about three years and this works quite nicely with my Epi Les Paul and my HH Studio50 amp, though it's kinda mean to other pedals when used together. I'd like to buy another even if I didn't loose it just to show off that I have two! So obviously I'd get another one if it were stolen... What do I love? Unique, immense tone with fantastic sustain, awesome Vintage vibe and very nice true bypass. There honestly isn't much comparison though I did compare it to a DS-1 and an MT-2 and I think it soudns nicer, more unique and better when clean. I'd have liked it to have a mid control or mid boost button, but I don't know many distortion pedals that have this feature, plus that's what EQ pedals and amp EQs are for. // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: imnouser, on march 15, 2010

Ease of Use: Ok, so I literally got this pedal yesterday, and it is fantasitc! It is very easy to use it should've come in a box etc but it was their last one so it was heavily discounted. It has three knobs and a button, volume, tone and sustain. Obviously because it doesn't have a true bypass you should probably take out the input jack when it's not in use to stop battery drainage. // 9

Sound: My setup isn't great, probably because I spend too much money on pedals rather than save up and buy a new guitar. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II through a Fender frontman 65r. It can sometimes get really muddy and notes become harder to recognize the futher up you crank the sustain but no real feedback. The knobs give some great sounds, but the sweet spots arewith the tone knob somewhere between 9 and 3 o'clock and sustain between 2 and 4. With the tone anywhere above 3 it starts to get wayyy too trebly and way too bassy before 9. And as I said before the sustain gets really muddy if put up too high. To clarify any confusion Jimi Hendrix DID help develop this pedal adn DID want to use it on a new record before he died. I believe that pink floyd also used either this or the russian version and also nirvana used it for several of its songs Electro-Harmonix don't call this a fuzz pedal, although they should. They call it a distortion/sustain pedal. Everyone knows that it has some of the best fuzz sounds achievable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this pedal easily, I would definately use this without a backup. Although it is in a but sturdy feeling metal casing if you have seen pics of the inside you would know that you shouldn't be jumping on it as it is just a thin piece of circut board between the casing. Not as sturdy or tough as a Boss pedal but still tough none-the-less. // 7

Overall Impression: I usually play most hard rock, like qotsa, wolfmother, nirvana, RATM and also some foo fighters. This pedal is a good suit for all of those. I have been playing for about 4 or 5 years and I must say this is one of the best sounding fuzz pedals I have ever come across. It I lost it or it was stolen I would hunt the man down who took it and rape him and his family. If I did lose it though I would probably buy the Big Muff Pi with tone wicker or the Little Big Muff pi as this one is massive. // 7

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: HellBoy9393, on july 30, 2010

Ease of Use: First of all, I'd like to be more specific; this version of the Big Muff Pi is the discontinued, black-colored, Sovtek Big Muff. -3 knobs and 1 switch. How hard can it be? I opened the pedal up to look at the guts and this thing is BARE; a huge enclosure for a tiny little circuitboard. -Knobs are WAY too sensitive; the volume knob at 12 o'clock is nearly mute, at 1 o'clock it's searingly loud. Probably a manufacturer issue. No big deal though. I got used to it. -Knobs are very loose; too little resistance. All the above issues really do not impact the overall ease of use, to me at least. You might get a few surprises the first time you use it, but you'll grow accustomed to how sensitive the knobs are. However, there are two huge gripes I have with this pedal which make it significantly more difficult to use: -There is NO 9V DC power jack. That means you have to run off batteries. I had to buy a Visual Sound battery clip converter (they're only about $2) to get it to run using my power supply. It might sound all right, but it looks very unnatural having this clunky wire sticking out of the bottom of your pedal! -The input/output jacks are switched. Conventional pedals have input jacks on the right, and output jacks on the left; on this pedal, it's the other way round. This makes for a nasty cable arrangement on your pedalboard. Not a huge issue though; again it just looks out of place! // 6

Sound: My setup: Epiphone G-400 into a Laney TT50-112 amplifier. In the loop: Marshall RG-1 Regenerator. In front of the amp: Ibanez WD7, DigiTech Bad Monkey and then this Big Muff. I always use this pedal on the clean channel (as you should). The sustain on this pedal is eternal. I LOVE it for that. If you turn up the sustain all the way, you begin to get some feedback ringing when you hold a note. Some people may dislike this but that's pretty much why I bought this pedal! With my DigiTech Bad Monkey boosting it, it's even more insane (though I do not recommend diming the sustain control; I usually keep it around 2 o'clock with the OD engaged). The tone control is very sensitive. I hate how it sounds past 2 o'clock; it becomes real fizzy, thin and piercing. Not my taste. I keep it around 10 o'clock. Here, it becomes a little boomy, but a lot smoother and VERY warm. PERFECT David Gilmour tone. At this point, it's not really a fuzz pedal anymore. It's more like a smooth, warm, high-gain distortion. With the sustain rolled back a bit and the tone up a bit (so that it's more fuzzy), you can start playing songs like "In The Flesh" from Pink Floyd. I cannot ask for more from a fuzz/distortion pedal. Gets a tentative 10/10 from me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Not the most extravagant of enclosures and knobs, but it has lasted. This pedal is probably about 10 years old. The aluminium casing (I think it, at least) is solid. The knobs are well..just knobs. The 3DPT Switch is sturdy too. I just think it's a bit too sparse and looks cheap; the circuit board looks loosely mounted onto the metal sheets, but no-one opens up their pedals in the middle of a gig, right? // 8

Overall Impression: -Great distortion for any sort of smooth, almost violin-like leads. You can get it to sound gritty, but I really like this pedal for its lack of grit when the tone is rolled back. -If you're expecting to jam to Metallica or Avenged Sevenfold, look away. This is not a metal distortion. -I bought this pedal for its relative rarity. These things are picking up value now that they're discontinued. I got mine for a total steal at $32 USD. You can find some on eBay for up to $80. // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2011

Purchased from: GAK

Ease of Use: As with all EHX it is simple and it is hard to get a bad sound out of it! The three knobs for sustain, level and tone are simple but effective. I would give it a 10 but the sustain knob is not very responsive. Overall, very simple! // 9

Sound: I play all types of rock / alt.rock / blues and metal. I bought this pedal in the first place to achieve the Jack White tone through my Marshall JTM45 Bluesbreaker and my Cornell Romany Pro and boy do I get it! It achieves that simple, raw fuzz of Jack White but keeping that real Hendrix vibe. Any fuzz or distortion is possible with this pedal with a bit of tweeking. I play a Gibson Les Paul Custom or my Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster and it also sounds good with my Gibson ES-335 and my good old 60's Danelectro U2! I can really get that pure, rawnchy distortion but then turn the sustain to 9 and you're in the realms of Hendrix! I play all types of music but mainly White Stripes / Led Zeppelin and lots of early Kings of Leon type music and of course Hendrix- it handles most of it well (with a humbucker). // 10

Reliability & Durability: it is quite flimsy and the paint scratches easily but personally I like that edgy feel and I think the scratches look good! It feels like it will break any second and its massive but its worth the money! // 7

Overall Impression: I bought this aiming for both White Stripes and Led Zep type tones and I got what I wanted and more! I run a load of guitars and amps with my other pedals (Menatone Blue Collar OD, EHX Double Muff, 5 Danelectro pedals, JamMan stereo looper, Nobels OD, Boss RV-3) and tip for any people with some cash in their hands, the EHX Double Muff works a dream with the Big Muff Pi! Buy it! Icky Thump! // 9

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: anecsey, on may 19, 2011

Purchased from: Mannys

Ease of Use: The first thing I have to say about this pedal is that when youre buying it, youre really buying an style of rock, mixing the classic Sabbath Tony Iommy's iconic sound, plus the fever of the new wave bands on the 80s, and of course, the underground Grunge bands from the 90s (from where born afterwords the stoner rock). But maybe, the most accurate description of the sound would be: Big Muff = you will rock like the 70s rocked out! If you want a sample of the big muff sound, check in youtube any song from Kyuss or the first records of the Smashing Pumpkins. And finally and not least: if you don't like the sound of those bands, PLEASE don't waste any time ckecking out this pedal, because you will regret it. // 8

Sound: I am using it right now with a Peavey Valve King 100watt head with a 1960BV Marshall Cabinet (which is an awesome cabinet) and the guitar is a Gibson Firebird clon made by me (I am a luthier by the way), and the plus on the sound its the addition of a Wah pedal. I think to get the 70s heavy sound the key is to use a Vintage guitar, a valve amp, a big muff and last, but not least important, a Wah (prefering a Dunlop wah). Like I said before, you can almost buy a whole complete musical genre, when youre buying this pedal. Many artist found their guitar way sound, in this device (Kyuss, Smashing Pumpkins, Mudhoney, Fu Manchu, Nirvana in some parts, Black Sabbath, David Gilmour, Frank Zappa, etc). My score of 10 is based on people who are looking for a fuzz pedal, but if you are looking for a distorsion or a overdrive, you probably will hate this pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You can bet your life this pedal wouldn't break even if a chemical truck pass it over. Its durable and stable (like all the products from EHX). I believe that the potenciometers are Alpha (very good brand) and the inside wiring its made by hand. So this part of the review really deserves a 10 score. // 10

Overall Impression: Ive play the last 16 years altern rock. Altern metal, stoner rock and space rock. All styles from the 90s, and for some sounds of these genres, the "muff" works perfectly. A big mistake of the design of this pedal its the size of it. If you have a pedaltrain or a effects box with a small size, you will have to quit some other pedals to fit the muff into. that's a very bad concept design. Many artists who used this pedal, started to changed it and put the Fuzz Factory from Z-Vex, instead of it. I believe the Zvex has a octave module along with the fuzz sound. Anyway, that pedal costs much more money than the Muff, so for my opinion, they re not comparable. // 6

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2011

Price paid: £ 57.75

Purchased from: Andertons Music

Ease of Use: The Big Muff is probably one of the best fuzz boxes you can get. You can get warm and bassy sounds to really crisp sounds with plenty of treble. I'd say the big muff is pretty easy to use with only 3 controls (Volume, tone and sustain). You can use all the controls in many different ways to get the sound you want which is really easy- You won't really have to spend ages tweaking the controls to find your sound. I mostly use the Big Muff for The Smashing Pumpkins, Jimi Hendrix and some Nirvana and it really does do a brilliant job. The big muff produces a really heavy fuzz tone which I personally really like, where as the Boss fuzz pedals just sound in my opinion really noisy and have an overly bright tone (I'm not saying Boss are a bad company because I have some Boss pedals that are brilliant, It's just their fuzz pedals I don't like). I haven't upgraded my one because firstly I don't think you need to unless your looking for a really specific sound and secondly, I don't have the time, money or knowledge to mod mine. Generally, you don't really need to mod this fuzz box because it's great as it is. The manual(or piece of paper) you get with it tells you how to set it up and what the controls do but doesn't give you any sound suggestions or safety hazards etc. Which if you were new to pedals and didn't really know what they did or how they sounded would be pretty much useless in helping you. // 8

Sound: I use an Epiphone SG, Squier Strat with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a Fender acoustic. The amp I use is my dad's old Marshall solid state MG15DFX with a Boss DS-1 Distortion, EHX Big Muff and an EHX Small Clone Chorus running through it. I thought the big muff wouldn't sound as good as it could do through a solid state amp but actually when I set the controls to my tastes I was blown away with the sound. You just get so much sustain from it, I had to keep on soloing with it on.When you go into heavy barre chords it sounds brilliant and it encourages you to keep on playing. When you roll back the gain you get perfect Led Zeppelin tones and also some pretty impressive Jimi Hendrix sounds, as this pedal is supposed to be based on his sound. You get a really accurate sound with this pedal and don't have any unwanted noise over what you're playing. I don't really think you could get a bad sounding tone out of it by using the 3 dials on the the pedal. Overall the sound you get is just that classic fuzz tone-brilliant. You can get really mellow sounds to really "In your face" sounds - powerful high gain fuzz distortion. The sounds just brilliant. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal looks and feels sturdy and I've read reviews on it where people have dropped it several times and it hasn't broken into pieces. So it must be sturdy. The pedal is made of metal so it's not going to go down without a fight. You'd really have to drop it everyday from quite a height onto something really hard like concrete for it to break or stop working correctly. I've never gigged before because I'm not old enough and my band is sort of "In the making" so half the people can just about play something or haven't even got an instrument yet. I probably wouldn't take a backup because it's one of the best fuzz pedals and also because I don't think it's so delicate that even just from going in a van to the gig and being put on a floor it would break that easily. I'll give it a 7/10 because it is sturdy but it's not indestructible. // 7

Overall Impression: I mostly play Grunge/Alternative rock and it just sounds brilliant for it.When you step onto the Big Muff for the chorus of "Today" by The Smashing Pumpkins it just sounds exactly like the recording. I'm really pleased with it and if it was stolen I'd probably save up for a new one. I didn't really read loads of reviews on it because I just sort of knew that it was going to sound good. It's easy to use, sounds good and is fairly versatile. I'm not going to go into lots of detail to try and find faults and things to be improved because it's just a brilliant fuzz pedal. I really recommend getting this one because it sounds brilliant. One thing I would like on it is maybe 2 sort of distortion modes. 1 for the classic Big Muff sound and then maybe another one for more modern sounding stuff. Maybe it could be just that bit more versatile for other styles because I have seen people complaining about this and in some ways I agree. Overall, brilliant pedal. // 9

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: adstermoore, on january 26, 2012

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: There is a footswitch a 3 knobs, fairly simple. 3 knobs may not sound like much but it's all you need on this pedal. You can put a battery in it which will last a fair few hours without loosing volume or drive. You could gig with this pedal in confidence the battery wouldn't die. I have noticed that at bedroom levels, the tone needs to be set a bit higher than at gig levels to get the same sound. Other than that, pretty easy to use. // 9

Sound: I bought this pedal after listening to "Superfuzz Bigmuff" by Mudhoney. And you can get a close sound without too much effort. But you can also get your own sound by fiddling with the effects a bit. You will be impressed with this pedals sound if you're a fuzz-head. If you're a metal-head. A Boss Metal Zone may be a better pedal for you. However, for me, this pedal is the best Fuzzbox in existence. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is where the Big Muff let's the side down. It feels like it is built out of recycled tin cans. I'm scared to use my foot for fear it will go through the casing. I've also found that when I switch it on, the volume drops. To fix this I have to tap it, which doesn't look good in a live situation. As a result for a gig, I have to get in another guitarist to play clean parts. The Big Muff will only work if left switched on. As a result of these problems I would suggest you buy a Little Big Muff, or a Big Muff with Tone Wicker. // 3

Overall Impression: I'm a fuzz addict, despite this pedal's problems, I can't get rid of it. It's such an amazing fuzz sound. It's reasonably well priced, despite the housing being filled mostly by air. And the power supply being completely different to my other pedals, so I can't plug it into my pedal board. If you can overlook the flaws, this is a great sounding pedal. However if I had known what I know now, I wouldn't have bought it. I would've bought a Little Big Muff. // 7

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: Haydenr25, on february 14, 2012

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Ease of Use: Just three knobs to this pedal. "Volume", which speaks for itself. "Tone", which allows you to choose a bassy or a sound with more treble. Finally, a knob labeled "Sustain" which is really the gain knob. Overall, very simple to use and easy to dial in sounds. // 9

Sound: Mine is a modern NYC reissue. This pedal sounds great with either my strat or my les paul. Vintage fuzz or heavy stoner rock sounds are available to squeeze from this box. It has to be said, this pedal does the heavier stuff more easily than the softer rock, but its by no means a one trick pony. Very versatile and not a lot of noise is given out, even with higher gain settings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built like a tank with metal all around. The knobs are stiff, it feels robust and even looks like it could take a beating. I would gladly gig this without a backup. The inputs feel solid and the casing doesn't bend at all. Despite dropping it down the stairs just about a week after purchase, this is still working perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal does exactly what you would expect. Straight up, gritty fuzz. A brilliant buy, and sounds gorgeous pushed through my friend's Fender HOT Rod. I play this through a HH IC-100 amp, but it sounds just as good. I compared this to a Boss FZ-5 (can't remember the exact name, but it has 3 different fuzzes modelled) and a Fuzz Face. The Fuzz Face was too much and I wasn't keen on the Boss's tones. After playing this at my local music store, I took it home the same day and haven't looked back since. A quality pedal in my eyes. // 9

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 16, 2012

Ease of Use: Right out of the box it comes with a bubble wrap, a catalog for other EHX products, the warranty & registration card and a somewhat manual, which doesn't say much, but to be fair is not really that needed, this pedal is a no brainer with three knobs; volume, tone and sustain; which I consider pretty self explanatory, is a matter of minutes to find a sound you could like, it goes from a really crunchy Overdrive to a really heavy fuzzy distortion, it's pretty raw, the tone control can take you from a really ballsy bass to a really ice piercing trebles, personally I use in the middle of both, but that's the way I liket. Overall it's a three knob pedal, if you have use one of those, like boss (DS-1, OD-2, BD-2), Ibanez (TS9), Proco Rat, etc, you'll find these really easy to use. // 10

Sound: My set is like this, Telecaster > Cry-Baby Wah > Big Muff > BD-2 > Memry Boy > Marshall B-25. The amp is a really for bass, but I find amusing the sound of it, I have tried the muff with a Fender Blues Jr. And sounds great, also through a Fender Mustang III and it wasn't that great. The current settings I usually use for the Muff are the volume between 1 - 2 o clock, the tone in the same range but a tweek it back and forth from 11 o'clock to 2 o clock, depending in the sound I want I that moment, the sustain I usually put it on 12 o clock or 3 o clock, I don't go much further, my muff usually gets really noisy at the top. Well this is the NYC "reissue", I play blues, classic rock, Grunge and stoner rock, it really nails it. It goes well for some modern floyd era, you can't get with this a Hendrix tone, but you can have really nice sounding fuzz that sound well on some Hendrix tunes, but for the majority of the Hendrix sound you should really turn down the sustain. One thing I love of this pedal is the harmonics that can be heard are just awesome, you can hear the sweet octave after some vibrato, it's really great, it's not the rams head, it's the "reissue" which is a reimagination of the bug muff sound, and it's great, and as the name states it's really big. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have it on my pedalboard to play, I have taken it to gigs and haven't given me any troubles, it runs with an special 9v eliminator, which is kind a let down, cause it's hard to find in stores, specially in Mexico, but I run it with a 9v battery, mine still have the Mike Matthews battery that comes with it, it's still running after a couple months of use. The case is a mix of metal and plastic, which feels a little bit cheap, not like the Boss pedals, or other EHX products, well it's a stomp box and it's seem it could handle a little abuse, but I would avoid every chance to dropping it from a third floor. I'll give it seven cause the case, cause for gigs is really reliable. // 7

Overall Impression: I have been playing the guitar like 7 years now I think, I play a lot of Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, I'm not a metal head, but a really don't think this pedal is made for it, the palm muting don't sound right, or what you would expect for that classic metal sound, maybe the metal muff do the trick, but these is for a raw Grunge distortion, modern rock, and some classic rock stuff. This is a unique pedal, that have a particular sound, very aggressive, a lot of personality, and awesome sound, if it were stole or I lose it I could buy it again, but maybe I'll buy the Muff with Tone Wicker, or a Fuzz Face, or the MXR Fuzz, but I think it's always a good idea to have a Muff in your rig. I would like this pedal to have a standard 9v adapter input like most pedals do, but hell with it, it's also good to hear a starving fuzz. // 9

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 05, 2012

Purchased from: guitar center

Ease of Use: Pretty straightforward device. don't need a manual or anything to know how to work it. Volume, tone, and sustain. // 10

Sound: I use a Fender modern player marauder through my sh-tty starter amp. I sometimes bring it to my friends and use it through a Fender Super Sonic. Through both amps it sounds awesome. It is a little noisy on single coils but that might just be because they're single coils. All the tones you can get are useful. Turn the tone all the way up for some treble-y punk and garage rock tones and put it about mid way to get some nice Grunge and stoner rock tones. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guy at Guitar Center said it might dent if you step on the metal part, but this thing is built like a freaking tank. I've dropped it down stairs an it was fine. I would moat definitely gig with this. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from shoegaze, to Indie rock, to psychedelic/garage rock, and this thing fits in all of them. I've only been playing about a year and a half and I have a super fuzz clone that I got from my buddy for free and this thing is just a little bit more versitale than that. I would get another if this one was stolen, if I hadn't tracked the theif down and kicked him in the nuts. The best feature o this is definately the tone knob. // 10

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 27, 2012

Purchased from: JB music philippines

Ease of Use: Very simple and awesome, you only have 3 knobs, volume, tone, and sustain, just the way I like it simple box. // 10

Sound: I was amazed by it's low settings, gritty singing and roaring. I use my Fender American Tele and Hamer XT SAT2 and my amp is our own made tube amp here at Philippines, where Manny Pacquiao, Charice, Apple D Ap and Arnel Pineda were born lol, the sound? It has the original tones of 60's to present blues, and some heavy rock like black sabbath, the Fuzzface can't beat it's aggressiveness and responsiveness, the fuzzface, you can only hear the fuzz when it's knobs are crank unlike the Big Muff, tone at only 9'oclock and sustain, you can already achieve the original Fuzzface knobs cranked all up. This big muff is the one and only who can beat the Fuzzface, we all know that this pedal is favorited by many greatest guitar man like david gilmour of Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Jack White, Keith Richards, Santana, and too many to mention. This pedal has strong output. Try to put some Strat and Fender Twin Reverb amp and you'll own the god's tones of variety. Not noisy at all. This kind of pedal suits my playing style and experimentation in modern type of blues like Jack White's doing. This is my main pedal next to my blues driver and my big muff can stand alone bwahaha. This pedal is a Manny Pacquiao for me and proud to be a filipino blues player. Who says us Filipinos do not like music? Charice? Arnel Pineda of Journey? Apple D Ap of Black Eyed Peas huh, come on people, every person deserves music not war. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm still worrying about it's ordinary sturdy casing because it's only plain but that doesn't bother me at all. If this was stolen and I know who was it I'd rather kill him or buy a new ones. I will use it on any gig, this pedal can live without backup for me. // 9

Overall Impression: Oh my god! I was impress with this when I tested with my amp at home, because the store has an amp that really sucks. It has a traditional tone of every blues guitar player. I wish the casing was not that cheap steel. // 9

Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: ASFORME, on august 27, 2012

Purchased from: guitar center

Ease of Use: if you love super thick or thin fuzz, this is the pedal for you! Awesome pedal... It has a sustain knob which enables you to change how much fuzz you want. Overall yo can get some good tones from it! // 8

Sound: I'm using it on a Epiphone SG. And a Line 6 Spider 4 amp. It can get a little noisy when you turn the sustain knob up all the way. The effects always sound really good! I can get showbreads sound really good! (If you don't who they are... please go look them up). Sweet pedal overall! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can always depend on it to get good sounds! And I shall use it on a gig once I get one! // 10

Overall Impression: I love to play punk screamo, punk and metal! I've been playing for almost 2 years. I own a Epiphone SG, Fender t-Bucket, Yamaha Guitalele, Line 6 amp and an array of pedals. I would buy this pedal again if something happened to it. I love everything about it! I chose this pedal cause it had the best tones! // 9

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Knockout Attack Equalizer 8.5 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014