Big Muff Pi With Tone Wicker Review

7.9
 9.2
reviews (2) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Big Muff Pi With Tone Wicker Reviewed by: GrizzlyFnAdams6, on november 11, 2011

Ease of Use: The Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker is a new take on the Big Muff Pi offering a few more tone variety options while offering that same classic Muff sound. It has three knobs and two independent switches. The top left is the Volume knob which controls the output, the middle is the Tone knob which effects the sharpness/treble or roundness/bassyness and the last knob is the Sustain knob that effects how gritty and distorted the sound becomes and obviously how much sustain the plucked notes will have. The two switches can be found directly under the three knobs. The first one is the Tone switch which allows you to bypass the Tone knob and gives you a wide open, full sound with a good mix of all the frequencies. The second is the Wicker switch, while activated, a very noticeable treble boost is added to the sound. // 8

Sound: This new edition keeps the classic sound that can be found in the regular Big Muff Pi but adds some options that allow some additional tweak-ability and tonal options. Personally as a guitarist and musician, I love all my gear to be versatile and this big muff allows more versatility than the standard so I naturally gravitated towards it. The tone knob is very responsive in cutting or adding bass/more treble depending on which way you turn the knob and the sustain knob allows you to pour on more creamy sustain and distortion or roll it back for more subtly. Now, the Wicker switch is the main item it advertises but I do not find it very usable as it makes the sound to my ears much too icepick like and harsh for my uses, your needs may be different but it definitely works and adds more treble presence in the signal chain. The tone switch on the other hand, is VERY useful. When you bypass the tone knob via flipping the switch off, it transforms this pedal into a beast! The sound becomes full without sacrificing highs, like most fuzz pedals (EHX ones atleast). Simple tweaking of the sustain knob and you have a creamy, lush sounding fuzz that maintains it's thump and it's clarity. Simply brilliant. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Surrounded safely in a metal case, EHX always has produced sturdy equipment in my opinion. The switches are metal and mounted in the case very well and the knobs are nice and firm. I really never have to worry about my stompboxes getting abused as I try to maintain and take care of my equipment as well as possible, but if by chance a truck ran it over, I'm sure I could still gig with it, no problem! Might even make it look cooler! Haha. // 8

Overall Impression: It's got your Big Muff Pi sounds as well as something more, which was the selling point for me. I'm not the biggest fuzz user so I'm sure other boutique fuzzes (Zvex, Black Arts, etc.) might be better suited to the hardcore fuzz aficionado, but for me, it meets and exceeds my needs without breaking the bank. I suggest if you have the extra money and were looking at a Big Muff Pi to possibly opt to go ahead and upgrade just to have the extra options in case one day you need to use them. Versatility is never a bad thing and this pedal sounds great! // 8

Big Muff Pi With Tone Wicker Reviewed by: ne14t, on april 30, 2012

Ease of Use: Three knobs and two switches, pretty much your standard for a fuzz pedal these days. Sounds great all over the place, I purchase this one because you can get classic muff tones out of it and then more, for the extra $15 its worth it. No Patches or Firmware. Manual was useless, the only thing it did for me was enlighten me to the fact the Big Muff is supposed to be a simulator for your guitar, I guess that's why its got singing sustain. Very basic setup, common among a lot of pedals, its easy to get a good sound out of but also its nothing really above the normal. // 8

Sound: I use this guy with my Les Paul only, on my Explorer the pickups are too Hot for it to sound good it gets a little too ice Pick sounding. Which brings me to the fact that for really high output pickups you might find it a little noisy for your liking, generally only on higher sustain settings. Controls for Sustain, Tone and Volume. Its pretty obvious what each one does in this case. There is also a Tone switch which allows you to bypass the tone knob completely this will also make your volume jump drastically. The Wicker switch adds some high end bite to the distortion to make it a little more new age fizzy sounding if that makes sense. I say new age as in like newer metal and stuff where it bites more then it chunks! Purchased this pedal for playing White Stripes, really no other reason. Jack White uses a regular old Big Muff and I opted for this pedal to give me more flexibility if I wanted to use it elsewhere. Wicker Off, Tone On, Volume around Noon, Tone around Noon and Sustain around 1pm gets me sounding close to Jack, could probably dial it in better but I am lazy. This pedal sounds great but its pretty much a one trick pony which is OK since its a relatively low priced dirt box. I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for some searing distortion, but stay away if you looking for a flexible pedal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Solid Metal case makes it pretty durable, its got the traditional latching stomp switch that you see all over the place no concerns of it breaking. The little switches for the Tone and Wicker concern me they are small and stick up a good way, I figure if I am going to damage the pedal it will probably be from stomping on it and catching one of these switches in the process. That being said I would certainly gig it without a backup its a solid sealed pedal that can certainly take some abuse. Little concerned with the toggle switches getting busted in a stomp which would probably be easily fixable but still a pain in the butt. // 9

Overall Impression: I like it, or else I would have sold it like all the other pedals that don't end up meeting my standards. As mentioned I use this mainly for white stripes so its a little biased on how it sounds! I do use it for playing some Black Sabbath too cause it gets nice and raunchy. If it was stolen or lost I would probably replace it with just a regular muff, I do like the added feature of the the Tone and Wicker; however I don't find myself using them that much. Save the extra bucks for another pedal! I don't think the muff compares to many other pedals, people might compare it to other three knob fuzz pedals but I find the effect out of the muff isn't just fuzz it really adds a lot of sustain to notes to, add a little Vibrato to a note with the sustain cranked and you can keep it going for a Long time. Standard Muff power in a smaller box with a couple new features but still pretty much just a one trick pony. If your looking for a affordable pedal or to nail some Jack White tones the muff should be on your list. // 7

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Nano Small Stone Phase Shifter 8.5 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014