Black Finger Compressor Review

9.8
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Black Finger Compressor Reviewed by: bass wizard, on february 06, 2009

Purchased from: Fair deal music

Ease of Use: This pedal does have a lot more knob than it's competators but this pedal is tube driven(12ay7) so finding all those extra functions will be worthwhile. That being said all the knobs ae sraight forward, you have compression, pre gain, post gain, speed setting (lamp or led) and mode (normall or squashed). The manual comes in a DVD format and it gives you a visual walk throuhg of what it does and some good settings. Mine has not been upgraded but you could upgrade the tubes for different tones. // 10

Sound: I am using this pedal through a les paul into a tiny terror head. No background noise even when compression control is all the way up which is allways nice for a compressor. The effect can begin to weaken as you turn the compression knob down as you are making the rate it compresses the signal at lower. My favourite artist are Guthrie Govan, paul gilbert etc. and to get there tone is helps to have a good compressor like the Black finger. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could easily depend on the circitury to work but I would have to have backup tube just incase one of them blows, it's the only down point to a tube driven pedal. But the actual macanics are fine and the casing is as solid as a rock. Haven't giged with it yet but you'd deffinatly need back up tubes for a gig(or could be easier to take a backup compressor that is Solid State.) // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of rock and funk, this pedal can give me a variety of rich funk tones aswel as awesome sustain for rock solos and the likes. I've been playing for 5 years. If the pedal got lost or stolen it would be one of my first pedals I'd go out a get a replacement of. I love the ease and the variety of tones and the different rates of compression it can offer. I'm not a fan of the grill covering the tubes but I understand it is completely neccesary. My favourite setting is the squashed mode. I chose this product over the Boss cs-3 and the MXR dyna comp as it is tube driven and can marry my tubes in the amp niceley. // 9

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Nano Small Stone Phase Shifter 8.5 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014