Double Muff Review

manufacturer: Electro-Harmonix date: 04/29/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Electro-Harmonix: Double Muff
They put two of their classic transistor '69 plug-in Muff Fuzz effects together in one box, which means double the trouble! Using just one gives you a hint of milky distortion, or cascading the second lets you turn your milk into cream.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 Ease of Use: 8.3
 8.3
 8.5
reviews (3) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Double Muff Reviewed by: Tele Echoes, on october 22, 2007

Purchased from: Belle Air Music

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal just before summer (manual included, by the way) of this year and it has always been great. However, after getting my first tube amp I was really amazed by how great the standard Drive 1 sounded. It's comsmetic design is as equally simply and appealing as it's sound. There are 2 control knobs, the stomp button, and a switch between Muff 1 and Muff 2. The only thing that bothered me was that when it came time to replace the battery, it was a real bother to find a screw driver small enough to open it up. Now I just keep it undone a little bit. // 8

Sound: Up until recently I had been using a Roland 20x Cube with a Mexican Telecaster with this pedal. While it had been awesome for a fuzz pedal on Muff 2, Muff 1 never sounded that great on the solid state, and I never truly got the pedal I wanted. That was up until I got my Blues Jr. This pedal sounds incredible if you have the right amp. If you're looking for a Overdrive pedal for a solid state, I'm not too sure about this. You'll have to try it with a amp similar to your own before deciding to purchase it. The Overdrive is as weak or as strong as you want it to be with Muff 1 having the option of how much Overdrive you want to milk'er with. The cool thing about the Double Muff is that you don't just get an Overdrive pedal, but you also get a great fuzz pedal to use as well. When in the 2nd Muff mode, the 1st Muff Drive knob becomes a volume knob, while the second knob (only activates when in 2nd Muff mode) adjusts how much fuzz you want to pour out over you strings. Muff 1 has been very good for playing stuff like Eric Clapton, The Beatles, and Joe Walsh (I say that because while I like "Hotel California", I hate The Eagles). The 2nd muff is okay for getting sounds like Cream Clapton and maybe even a bit of SRV. However, the main reason I wanted this pedal was for more Pink Floyd and Hendrix. It's not the pedals fault it doesn't meet the expectations I wanted it to, since I knew beforehand that Hendrix used a Fuzz Face, while Gilmour used both Fuzz Face and Big Muff pedals. It would have been cool if their had been a 3rd knob for sustain when in Muff 2. It's great for Muff 2 on solid state, but it sucks for Muff 1. It's great for Muff 1 on a tube amp, and it's great for Muff 2 as well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: While the battery life is great and the pedal has never ceased to be functional while there is juice in it, the pedal lacks cosmetic durability. I managed to put scratches over the design without even noticing that I was doing so. Out of boredom, I scratched my initials into it without applying for pressure to my finger nail than I would while moving a mouse along it's mouse pad. The box is strong though. Do yourself a favour and remember what the labels under the knobs and Switch say, before they wear off. // 7

Overall Impression: I play the rock & roll with this pedal and it suits me fine. I've been playing for over 4 years now and am very dedicated to my craft and am very picky about the product I use and can be very critical of something if I feel it isn't perfect. If it were stolen, I would probably just get a Fuzz Face and get it modified to the old school hilt, or the same for the Big Muff to sound like it's early '70s models. I love the single muff sound when it's playing through a tube. I hate the single muff through a solid state, as well as how easily the writing and design scratches and wears off. It's better than having a DigiTech distortion or a Dan Electro (the two other ones I've had in the past. I got them when I started. I was young and stupid). One thing I regret asking was how much it would cost to get a Big Muff. I chose this pedal because it was very affordable and I've always felt that Electro Harmonix makes great sounding pedals. I wish it had a sustain knob for the double muff fuzz. I also wish there was a foot switch to toggle between single and double muff. It's good and I would recommend you get it if you have a tube amp and desire a great sounding overdrive, and could use a decent fuzz pedal free of charge. // 8

Double Muff Reviewed by: rhcpjhlz, on december 04, 2008

Ease of Use: The Double Muff has a pretty simple setup. I didn't read the manual, you really don't need it because the pedal is really simple. There's a switch that determines if you are in single or double mode. Single being a slight overdrive and double being a semi heavy fuzz. In single mode, the bottom knob controls the volume and Overdrive level. In double mode, the bottom knob controls the output of the pedal and the top knob controls the amount of fuzz. // 9

Sound: I'm using an '07 Fender MIM strat through a Crate V18. I don't use any amp gain, it's always clean and if I want any gain I use the pedal. This pedal is classified as an Overdrive pedal, but it could be considered a fuzz pedal too. I mostly play funk, blues, and rock, but occasionally mess around with heavier stuff. In single mode, it sounds a little muddy when the knob is turned up higher at first, but when you start playing with the volume on the guitar, you can achieve a great slightly overdriven sound. If the pedal's knob is about halfway, 12 O'clock, the pedal will give a little break up, but works more as a boost pedal. In Double Muff mode, I typically keep the volume knob at 9 O'clock and the fuzz knob around 3 O'clock. On the neck pup, I can get a great Hendrix like tone here, and if I turn the volume on the guitar down it cleans up nicely for a SRV esque tone. With the guitar volume all the way up, the bridge delivers a tight distortion that is good for classic rock. When the guitar volume is lowered and on the bridge pup, I can get a crisp tone. I typically use that sound for blues rhythm, or RHCP type funk from the Blood Sugar Sex Magic era. It's great for playing bluesier stuff, especially on my strat. I also use this pedal with a Dunlop original Cry Baby. The order of my setup is guitar, Double Muff, Cry Baby, amp. The distortion before the wah has a really odd effect. The wah seems to control the amount of distortion when I engage it. If the wah pedal is all the way down, it has the typical effect of a wah, and the distortion is all there. But when you toe back, of course your treble rolls off, but so does the distortion a little. I personally love the two pedals effects on each other, but others might not. If the muff is after the wah, it is a little difficult to notice the wah at all. It might as well not be on at all, which is why I always put the muff first. I occasionally use this pedal with my Epiphone G-400 and it has a creamy sound through this pedal. My only complaint is that the highs are a little too flat for my liking, but that could just be the fact that it's a cheaper guitar. It can be a great pedal, you just have to play around a little and find a few of the settings that fit your style. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had the pedal for about a year now and it still works fine. I've been using the same 9 Volt battery for the last 9 months or so and it still sounds fine. I don't know how it's lasted this long, but I'm not about to complain. The casing is pretty sturdy because it is made out of metal. The Only complaint I got on this pedal is that the input and output jacks are always going loose. It's really annoying because if you touch the pedal when you're playing, it makes the sound when you touch the end of the cable when it's unplugged. I have gigged with this before and I've never had a fear of it not working. // 7

Overall Impression: It can be a great pedal, you just have to play around a little and find a few of the settings that fit your style. The better features about the Double Muff are that it is really simple to use, and with a few adjustments, it can cover a pretty wide range of music styles, just not really heavier stuff. I wouldn't recommend it for anything heavier than Harder Rock like Led or AC/DC, but it does cover those two particularly well. If it were stolen, I'd be pissed. // 8

Double Muff Reviewed by: monkey_dancer, on april 29, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This is a very, very simple pedal. On the 'single' setting, there is a volume control. The 'double' setting puts a second muff fuzz after the first, and each of them has a volume control. In this mode, the Muff 1 volume control has more of an effect over the volume, and the Muff 2 volume control has more of an effect over the distortion, although both controls affect both parameters. It takes a little bit of tweaking to find the right volume and distortion levels. // 8

Sound: I use this with a Fender Jaguar, which has a Seymour Duncan SJAG-2 in the neck and a JB Jr single-coil sized humbucker in the bridge, into a Laney VC15. The single muff has a similar character to a fuzz face, but with much less distortion; it provides a light, slightly fuzzy overdrive. Adding the second muff turns it into more of a fuzz/distortion, which is very aggressive. The single muff is VERY sensitive to what guitar and pickups you use: with a bright guitar it can be ice-picky with brittle high-mids, but with darker guitars (or even just a neck pickup) it's generally far too muddy and dark to be at all useable. I've had the best results with a strat, with which I got a fantastic low-gain fuzz tone out of the pedal, which is perfect for Rolling Stones stuff. It's always very mid-heavy, and can be a bit woofy sometimes. In this mode, the pedal is wonderfully dynamic, and cleans up well with soft playing or rolling back the volume on the guitar a bit. With both muffs engaged, these differences become a bit less apparent, and the tone is a bit different. Loads of sustain, and very little dynamic range; you get a huge compression effect, and it's not at nearly as sensitive to guitar volume. The pedal can get noisy, as you're boosting the gain quite a lot, especially with both circuits engaged. This isn't really a problem for me, but it might be for people who already have noisy rigs. An important point is that this pedal does NOT like being placed after a buffer, and it's better to always have it as the first pedal in line, or it becomes painfully bright, and sounds horrible. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Everything in it is well constructed, the case is solid, and the pots, Switch and jacks are well mounted. I'd be very surprised if anything happened to it, except with unreasonable abuse that a pedal wouldn't ever go through. I've gigged with it plenty of times with no backup, and it's always held up. In fact I've gigged it without spare batteries, which is stupid, but the current draw of this thing is very, very small. The battery life is extremely long, even with heavy use. And if it does run out of power or break, since it's true bypass it will still pass signal when turned off (unless the Switch breaks, obviously, but that's pretty unlikely). // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play old 60/70s-style rock music (Stones, Neil Young) and Indie rock (Pixies, Wintersleep, Deerhoof). This pedal is brilliant for those styles, although I wouldn't use it for much else. I've been playing for maybe 7 years, and also use: EHX Small Stone, BYOC Octave Fuzz, some homemade overdrive, MXR Carbon Copy, Marshall VT-1, DigiTech Digidelay, EHX Deluxe Memory man. The Double Muff stacks quite well with my other dirt pedals, and the Drive channel of my amp. That's one of my favourite things about it: it's great for giving a dirty boost to another pedal or the amp's drive. With it driving my fuzz, I get a really fat, sustainy sound, although it is quite noisy. My only problem with it was the power jack that it comes with, which is different to the standard 2.1mm jacks most pedals use. I recently swapped one of those in, which was very simple, and I don't know why I didn't do it earlier. I don't like using batteries, but if you do, they last for ages, as I said earlier. I don't think I'd ever replace my double muff, as it's a fairly unique sound. If I get really sick of it, or when I get a Fuzz Face/Tonebender I'll mod this before I get rid of it, to see what I can get out of it. All in all, very simple, does one thing pretty well, although it is hampered by having to be first in the effects chain and a little bit by it's response to different guitars, which might make it a bit less versatile. // 7

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Knockout Attack Equalizer 8.5 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014