Knockout Attack Equalizer Review

manufacturer: Electro-Harmonix date: 04/14/2014 category: Guitar Effects
Electro-Harmonix: Knockout Attack Equalizer
The Knockout Attack Equallizer lets you tweak the high-pass and low-pass filters changing your sound from Gibson to Strat to Telecaster with innumerable shades in between.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
reviews (3) pictures (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Knockout Attack Equalizer Reviewed by: :..*lazy*..:, on july 28, 2008

Price paid: £ 39.99

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

Ease of Use: This pedal has only three controls- Low, Dry and High. The controls are quite large to allow ease of use during busy gigs. It is quite easy to get a good sound out of it- there's no fiddling with tiny EQ sliders anymore to confuse people, if you want more low end, turn the low button up. Quite simple. There's a Status LED to tell you how much battery is left. There is also a 9V power imput if you use a pedalboard. There's only one problem, if you own a pedalboard and you want to save space, this pedal might take up a bit of room. It's about twice as big as the XO series, so if you fuss over space, maybe get a Boss Equaliser. // 8

Sound: This is an awesome sounding pedal! It's perfect for boosting the signal during a solo or for nice fat meaty chords during the rest of the song. I mainly use it with the low and dry on full and the high setting at 0 with distortion for that fat 'System Of A Down' tone. You can get a telecaster sound by rainng the high, and cutting down the low, this works really well. I use a Squier Strat with a Seymour Duncan JB jr humbucker in the bridge, A Marshall MG15DFX and a Behringer OD100. There is hardly any noise from the pedals at all. One bad point is that if you turn the high and low up to the max, the tone gets very brittle, so you have to tweak a bit to get a very good tone. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is made out of die cast metal! I bet it will withstand being nuked a couple of times! It is made of solid metal, the control knobs have no chance of coming off, the footswitch is very sturdy and the LED is firmly in place. This thing is built like a rock, I would use it at a gig without a backup. One problem is that it is quite power thirsty (maybe because I keep using it all the time) so take out the input jack when not using it because that drains battery power. There is a 9V mains input to solve that problem. This pedal never cuts out, never stops working, it is reliable! // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal, punk and reggae, and this pedal suites most of these genres. If this were stolen, I'd get a new one in an instant, or hunt down the person who stole it and steal it back! I love the simplicity, the reliability, the heavy or country like tones and the art on the top, people look at my feet and go 'wow'. It looks crazy! My only rant is the brittle tone you get if you bump up the high too much. Other than that, it's a perfectly usable EQ pedal! // 8

Knockout Attack Equalizer Reviewed by: George Juggles, on september 26, 2012

Price paid: C$ 40

Purchased from: Used Local

Ease of Use: First off, this is an awesome tweaking pedal. It is fairly easy to get a good sound out of it, since it only has 3 knobs, Low, Dry, and High. The Dry Knob controls the amout of "dry" in the sound. It is similar to a gain knob. I will rate this a 9. // 9

Sound: I am using it with a PRS SE Semi Hollow, going through a Peavey Cassic 30. You can almost always get a good sound out of it. My only complaint is that there is a slight volume drop depending on what you have the knobs set at. But most of the time there is none. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it, and would definetly use it without a backup. It is in all metal casing and a solid switch. The knobs seem pretty sturdy, but are plastic. It would not break if you stomp on it, but I wouldn't try it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a large variety of music, reggae, funk, jazz, rock, blues, hard rock. This works for all of them. I have been playing for almost five years. If it was stolen, I would definitely get another one. I love this pedal because there is a large variety of sounds I can get out of it. You can make humbuckers sound like single coils, and you can get a Strat to sound like a Tele. I love the dry knob. To me, it is the best feature, because it controls your tone the most. I wanted an eq pedal, but chose this one for its simplicity. With 3 knobs, it can get a wide variety of sounds. This is a pedal that will tweak your sound to the way you want it. I think every guitarist should have this pedal. // 9

Knockout Attack Equalizer Reviewed by: alfaalex101, on april 14, 2014

Price paid: C$ 113

Purchased from: Metro Sound & Music

Ease of Use: The Knockout Attack Equalizer has three knobs on it: Low, Dry and High. I'm using a Les Paul Standard alongside a Zoom G5 and a Line 6 Spider IV amp. The Les Paul has a warm but sometimes muddy tone so I started by dialing back the Low knob around 9 o' clock then most of the work started with fiddling with the Dry and High knob. The Dry knob regulates how much of the original guitar's tone will pass through and how much of the new tone will be added. The high knob is where I find most of the magic happens and I adjust it just a little past 12 o' clock as this guy is very sensitive and it's easy to hurt your ears with it. // 10

Sound: This guy sounds amazing. I can't say how it effects single coil guitars but it gave my Les Paul Standard's humbuckers a professional studio sound, drastically more clear and also allowed me to come very darn close to the sound of a stratocaster/telecaster. I will say however that the telecaster sound is quiet a jump for a dark Les Paul and it was quiet a bit difficult getting an authentic tone without fatiguing the ear with a bunch of unnatural high frequency notes (especially when strumming). Maybe it's easier moving from a Stratocaster to a Telecaster than a Les Paul to a Telecaster with this pedal. Anyways, it does take a bit experimentation to dial in a natural tone but when you hit the sweet spot, you'll never want to let go. I also gave it a shot on a Squire P Bass and it improved the tone too. The only reason I won't give it a 10 is that it makes the sound a bit thin and just doesn't have much impact past a little overdrive/crunch (but most tone goes away anyways when you go high gain) so when I go for some rock I turn up the dry signal on it or just turn the unit off. It also will obviously hiss if you turn up the high knob to unnatural levels. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Seems fairly solid, I have no qualms about any of it's design, it's not very big or heavy. It's powered by a 9V power supply that is sold separately and seems like it could handle a Hiroshima or two. No jiggling or anything from the jacks and I'm not sure what else to say - it's a box for crying out loud and most of Electro-Harmonix's stuff are very solid and it's manufactured in New York not China. It runs without the power supply plugged in but I haven't tried or seen how long it can go for. I played a bit with it unplugged and after a bit it's red LED light started fading but I noticed no drop in volume or tone. // 10

Overall Impression: I play adult contemporary, pop punk, pop rock, post grunge and some folk and have been playing for two years now. Overall, I can't live without this pedal anymore. It totally breathed new life into my Les Paul allowing me to have the clarity, sparkle and spank of single coils and also experiment with new tones. It's simply incredible and makes me feel like I bought a completely brand new guitar. At it's worst, it will improve the tone of your guitar, at it's best it will replicate another guitar like a stratocaster or telecaster in my experience. // 9

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Stereo Pulsar 7.9 Guitar Effects 03/27/2014