Memory Toy Nano Review

9.4
 9.8
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Memory Toy Nano Reviewed by: BeefWellington, on january 31, 2011

Ease of Use: This pedal is about as simple as it gets. Just three controls, everything you need and nothing you don't. Delay: Change the delay time from 30ms to 550ms. Blend: Change between 100% dry signal or 100% wet delayed signal. Feedback: Select the amount of repeats. A high setting will cause the pedal to self-oscillate. The manual is 1 simple page that pretty much states the obvious. This little bit of kit is incredibly simple to use, and I was getting the perfect sounds I wanted within 10 seconds of plugging it in, and I've never even used a delay pedal before. // 10

Sound: I play and Epiphone Les Paul Standard through a no-name practise amp. True bypass, so when disengaged you never even notice it's there. When you whack this bad boy on, it produces an beautiful rich delay sound. You can easily recreate pretty much anything you want with this, or even create some of your own sounds. There is absolutely mountains of delay available. There really is a massive amount of sounds you can achieve with this pedal. The modulation Switch produce a really nice, warbly almost eerie detuned chorus kind of effect that adds a kick and is a excellent touch. The sky is the limit. The effects are perfect for me, however the self-ocsillation is not a particularly pleasing noise to my ears. That is the only complaint I have, the rest of this bit of gear gives me an eargasm. The blend control can sometimes be a bit tricky when you want to get your perfect sound, as sometimes you can either over saturate your signal or not put enough in. However, with time you get used to it and can quickly edit the controls. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a solid (but small!) metal brick. It's pretty lightweight but the casing is robust and feels like it would last a very long time. I haven't owned it long enough to judge it's durability fully, but it seems to be well built. If I were to gig, I would definitely use this. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all sorts, rock, metal, indie, whatever, and you can dial in an appropriate effect for any of these. You can recreate the echo of an arena or even a pseudo-reverb effect and anything in between. I would definitely buy another one if it got lost or nicked. I checked out several other delay pedals by MXR, digitech, Boss, etc, and none of them really made me think "I want you". A lot of them were either over priced (*cough* MXR *cough*) or too complicated (*cough* Boss *cough*) for me. This one had exactly what I wanted at the cheapest price. This is amazing value for money. I love everything about it, my favourite feature being the modulation switch purely for the extra versatility it gives me. It's got everything a delay pedal needs, no more, no less. I thoroughly reccommend this bit of gear if you want a simple, cheap, great sounding delay. // 9

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Knockout Attack Equalizer 8.5 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014