Micro Metal Muff Review

manufacturer: Electro-Harmonix date: 05/10/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Electro-Harmonix: Micro Metal Muff
The Electro-Harmonix Micro Metal Muff Distortion Pedal is everything you love about the classic Metal Muff in a small, die-cast aluminum package with simplified controls. 15db boost and cut around a carefully selected mid frequency guarantees huge scoop possibilities. Selectable top boost ranges.
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.4
 8.8
 7.9
reviews (5) pictures (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Micro Metal Muff Reviewed by: lithium26, on july 09, 2008

Ease of Use: The Electro-Harmonix micro MM is easy to use. 3 knobs: volume, tone and distortion, as well as a top boost Switch: hi, off and lo. Pretty basic. The learning curve is not too steep so straight from the box it would be easy to dial a decent metal tone from the pedal. // 9

Sound: The Micro MM is good for high gain distortion. from Radiohead's Marshall Shredmaster type distortion to extreme metal distortion. I was using it with a Fender '62 Jaguar and a Fender HSS Stratocaster. It gives a good-sounding metal tone. Much better than my previous high gain distortion box, the Line 6 uber metal (which was crap). Unfortunately, the good parts stop here. To me, the top boost Switch is useless, as it gives a ear-piercing high pitched scream (not feedback) when you use it in the "hi" setting, for most settings, making the "hi" useless. To me, the "lo" also sounded like crap, so I never used the top boost Switch. Also, the metal muff feedbacks easily when you stop playing and leave it engaged, which was actually why I kept it for so long. I used it's easy to feedback "feature" in gigs. Fortunately for me the feedback was controllable for it to not be ear-piercing. Lastly, the hum is very loud. I'm using a 1spot adaptor. I've gigged at a few places with this pedal and jammed at many different studios. Even changed the adaptor and stuff. But the feedback wont go off. And this is not because of the single coils in my Jaguar. My strat has a 'bucker in it. However, despite the flaws, this pedal is a decent pedal if you want to be able to dial a nice sounding metal tone. I've since replaced the metal muff with a MI Audio Crunch Box. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I definitely can rely of this pedal. I've gigged and jammed with this pedal quite a fair bit in the 9 months this pedal have been in my possession. Sturdy construction, and it doesn't seem like it will break within the next decade or so as long as you don't take a sledge hammer to it or something. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of music. Rock to blues to metal. Primarily rock and the "older" hard rock music. I used this pedal at first because I wanted a Jonny Greenwood sound, as well as metal distortion. It does give a good distortion. However, it does have a few problems, as seen in the "sound" section. I've since then replaced it with a Crunch Box by MI Audio. If it were lost, I'd try out other pedals, including the actual Metal Muff. It seems a lot more tweakable and sounds like a better pedal. // 8

Micro Metal Muff Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 06, 2010

Ease of Use: It is quite simple. A volume knob to lower or raise the volume and a distortion knob to raise or lower the distortion. One little knob for high scoop, low scoop, or no scoop. The knobs are not terribly big so don't expect to be able to change distortion/volume mid-gig. // 10

Sound: I use it with an Epiphone les paul sunburst plus top through a Peavey Vypyr 15 with an Original Crybaby wah. It has an absolute great sound for anything from acdc to 80s hairmetal, which is all I play, but not much more so its not for death metal. And you can most likely find a good metallica tone out of it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is extremely nicely made and I got mine used. I would trust it anyday in a gig without a backup. It is made out of a Solid Metal with a button so tough, you could tape the pedal to the wall, kick it, pretty much as hard as possible (not saying do this) and it wouldn't break. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said its for anything that you need a crunch for like acdc, to heavier 80s metal like twisted sister, dokken, probably a little metallica if not for all metallica. If it were stolen or lost I'd probably buy another one, because it fits my music taste very much. I wish it had a depth knob but that's pretty much it, because I love simple easy to use pedals. Get one you won't regret it (if you have my music taste). // 9

Micro Metal Muff Reviewed by: ibanart300, on september 30, 2011

Price paid: A$ 105

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: With a market saturated with high-gain distortion pedals in which each manufacturer try to fight for your attention it can be hard to make a decision that will appeal to your personal taste. As is often said tone is subjective to each listener so more and more high-gain distortion pedals are trying to compensate for this by featuring more tone controls and more options to make it a one size fits all, as a result often increasing the price to match. Electro-Harmonix has taken an interesting approach to this by producing three separate pedals that all do essentially the same thing high-gain distortion. At the bottom of the scale there is the nano sized Pocket Metal Muff then in the middle there is the Micro Metal Muff in which this review is based and then lastly there is the godfather of all three the Metal Muff. Electro-Harmonix have packaged essentially the same product into three separate pedals in which budget dictate what features you have access to. This is great for those on a budget as with many other manufacturers only giving you the one pedal with a set amount of features with no lower priced options forcing some to look elsewhere. The Micro Metal Muff includes three dials to allow you to adjust the tone to your liking. There is the volume dial which speaks for itself. Then there is the Tone dial which effectively scoops the mids by adjusting it to the left and by adjusting it to the right gives you a brighter and slightly thinner sound. Lastly there is the Distortion dial which when adjusted either gives you a massive amount of gain or lowers the gain to a more classic light rock feel. The pedal also features a top boost 3 way selector switch. When adjusted to the bottom selection labelled Low the pedal then gives you a low amount of top boost and when set to the top selection labelled High the pedal gives you a larger amount of top boost, lastly the middle switch turns the particular feature off altogether. The pedal is powered via the standard 9 volt power pack or a 9 volt battery. Electro-Harmonix have not made it particularly easy to replace the 9 volt battery as the whole back plate needs to be completely removed by unscrewing four screws to get to the battery bay. Even once you have finally removed the four screws the battery needs to be installed in a particular fashion in order for it to fit correctly. Although this is a hindrance this is largely the case as the pedal is not overtly big and leaves a smaller pedal board foot print then most other pedals. // 8

Sound: The Micro Metal Muff does a convincing job at giving users copious amounts of gain when the gain is adjusted all the way to its maximum limit. The gain once at its limit sounded a little too fuzzy for my particular liking however I was able to dial in a nice high-gain level around the 1 to 2 o'clock mark. There is in fact so much gain that there is a word of advice from Electro-Harmonix's website asking users to ensure that all cables and pickups are well shielded before use. In this review I used a Schecter Demon 6 FR and an Ibanez ART300 and lastly a Fender clone with passive pickups through a Bugera V22 amplifier. As mentioned earlier the gain set at its absolute limit was a little too fuzz like for me but I was able to generate some nice controllable feedback. There was no unnecessary buzz or hum with all dials set to their maximum and there was also no colouration of tone when the pedal was in its off state. With the Distortion dialled down to the 3 o'clock and under mark you can achieve a nice classic rock feel. This is of course not perfect but was close enough to be enjoyable. The Tone dial as mentioned is quite flexible and scoops the mid range frequencies if dialled to the left a certain degree producing a nice modern metal tone. This was great in standard tuning and in drop tunings and with the gain at approximately 1 to 2 o'clock was great for some palm muted riffing. With the Tone dialled to the right the tone takes a more thinner sound that seems to have a lot more presence giving you a British rock/metal feel with the right amount of distortion. The top boost seemed most useful in its low setting. This gives you a little bit more crunch or bite to your tone allowing you to develop your sound further. The high setting felt a little ear piercing being too bright and too shrill but again tone is subjective to the listener. When using the top boost I also found I had to re-adjust the volume dial to compensate the increased volume in certain frequencies. Overall Electro-Harmonix has made quite a versatile pedal that manages to cover quite a few different areas of metal and rock. The pedal seems to promote a little more clarity in its sound then other pedals I have tested and seems to show more of the guitar and amps tone in the overall output. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Micro Metal Muff features a very hardy die cast enclosure and as a result feel very solid and durable. The pedal shouldn't have any issues dealing with regular gigging and seems to use the 9 volt battery at a decent rate giving you a few hours of use with a decent alkaline battery. Electro-Harmonix have a reputation stemming back from the late 60's of making quality products and the Micro Metal Muff doesn't fall short even though this is one of Electro-Harmonix' relatively new product lines. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall the Electro-Harmonix Micro Metal Muff does a great job of providing high-gain distortion with power to customize your tone in several different directions. The pedal is relatively inexpensive and sounds great. The pedal is not the be all and end all of high-gain distortion and when set a certain way the pedal can start to sound a little thin, not giving enough oomph that so many metaller's enjoy. However for its price bracket, range of options and overall tone it has it is definitely worthy of a second look. // 9

Micro Metal Muff Reviewed by: squirrel1251, on january 24, 2012

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: This pedal is about as easy as 1, 2, 3. The simple Vol/Tone/Distortion layout with Top boost switch just above the on/off switch is pretty hard to not understand. Nicely designed. // 10

Sound: I'm currently running this pedal with a Cort X2 and either a Marshall MG 10CD or a Peavey Vypyr 15; depending on whether I'm practicing alone or with my band. On both amps this pedal can crank up some serious distortion; perfect for my playing style which is mainly "punk with metal influences" with a little bit of hard rock. The top boost setting however; I'm not too sure on. The Low end is nice for chugging rhythms but the High boost comes out a little too sharp for my liking and its hard to change between the two halfway through a song. However, without boost this pedal is awesome for any rock styles but it really excels in high-distortion stuff. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with this pedal yet but it's survived many journeys in my bag & has survived me tripping on it; stepping on it etc etc. I would take it to a gig without a backup without a worry; but the only problem is is the battery life can be quite poor; so I'd change batteries just before gigging. // 7

Overall Impression: I really love this pedal & if it was stolen I would buy another because it was incredibly cheap, especially for the amount of punch it produces. Beautiful. // 10

Micro Metal Muff Reviewed by: FingerFud, on may 10, 2013

Purchased from: A friend

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use. There are Volume, Tone and Distortion knobs which obviously speak for themselves and a Hi/ Lo Top Boost which if you switch to Hi gives your guitar a screaming sound that is good for pinch harmonics and raging solos and the Lo sound which does the opposite and good for chugging rhythms and heavy palm muting. As soon as I first used it, I found a sound I liked from it which impressed me because I didn't have to fiddle about like most other pedals and especially this pedals older brother. // 8

Sound: I play this through a Tanglewood Superstrat which I'm getting rid of soon with fairly high output Humbuckers through a Vox VT30 and I can a great sound from Heavy punk and Hard Rock all the way up to the likes of Black and Death Metal. I mainly play Hard Rock, Symphonic, Power and Melo-Death metal with bands such as In Flames, Amon Amarth, Children Of Bodom, Nightwish, Amorphis, Sabaton, Halestorm, Shinedown and Rammstein to name a few and some punk bands like Rise Against and Paramore for which this pedal suits me well. Not so much for punk due to the very high gain this pedal provides but still fantastic for all genres and sub genres of Hard Rock and Metal. It can be noisy with the distortion all the way up but that is just most likely my guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is literally a tank, I can easily depend on it at a full gig. But we wary that it absolutely eats batteries so you would be better off using a power supply. I've had this for almost a year and nothing has gone wrong with it except the Top Boost switch is a little flimsy after kicking it by mistake but it still works okay. The footswitch is very strong and doesn't seem like it would break unless you jump or stand on it, but why would you do that to this beast? I can easily depend on it at a gig no problem. It looks like it can last me for a very long time. // 9

Overall Impression: For the style of music I play, it is a good match except for the punky stuff but I am going to buy a DigiTech HOT Rod soon which will solve that problem. I've had a DS-1 before but this pedal really out matches it with the sound I get from it. If it we're to be stolen, I would maybe buy it again or go for the older brother instead as I am a bit more experienced with getting a range of sounds from pedals. But as I am happy with the sound I get from this, it maybe a difficult choice. But, this a great pedal for all genres of Metal and Hard Rock and it would be great for beginners with its ease of use in using this pedal and getting a good sound out of it. I would recommend it to any Metal guitarist looking for a flexible Metal distortion pedal. // 8

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Nano Small Stone Phase Shifter 8.5 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014