Nano Clone Review

manufacturer: Electro-Harmonix date: 08/20/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Electro-Harmonix: Nano Clone
The Nano Clone presents a lush, true analog chorus at a very affordable price.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.8
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 6.3
 7.2
 5.4
reviews (4) pictures (3) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Nano Clone Reviewed by: UG Team, on may 03, 2007

Ease of Use: There's a knob for Rate, and a switch to engage the pedal's effect. You can't get much simpler than that, can you? The Nano Clone's small size makes it easy to fit on a small pedal board, so that is a definite plus. I would have given it a 10, but you have to unscrew four screws and pull the back plate off to change the battery. I like an easier way to replace the battery. That's the only problem I could find with ease of use. // 9

Sound: The lack of a Depth control limits the Nano Clone's usefulness to me. I usually use chorus one of two ways: either lots of rate and depth for that underwater sound, or with rate almost off and depth way up for a doubling effect. The Nano Clone's lack of a depth control makes this impossible. As you turn the Rate down, the Depth seems to decrease as well, so you get less effect overall. I am quite sure that Electro-Harmonix wanted to stay true to the original Small Clone's layout, but I really do miss a depth knob. Other than that, the Nano Clone is a no-frills chorus whose sound is pretty good for a mono pedal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The Nano series pedals seem to be built well in general, with a cast casing and heavy-duty parts. One thing I don't like is that the jacks are mounted directly to the circuit board and are not fastened to the casing in any way. The short of it is, if you step on or yank a cable that's plugged into the pedal, you are likely to break the jack. I know we are talking about a very inexpensive pedal here, but I personally would rather pay more money for a more durable design. // 7

Overall Impression: I don't find anything really bad about the Nano Clone, but it doesn't really inspire me either. The chorus sounds good, but I like it to be more lush, like the TC Electronics Stereo Chorus or the Roland Dimension D. Keep in mind, though, that both these products are far more expensive and harder to find. Electro-Harmonix has made a pedal that has a great tone-per-dollar ratio. If you're on a budget and don't have much extra space on your pedal board, the Nano Clone could be just the ticket for you. Thanks to www.geartree.com. // 7

Nano Clone Reviewed by: doive, on may 09, 2011

Ease of Use: This pedal is as simple as they come - one rate knob and an on/off switch. Takes either a 9V battery or a standard adaptor. To be quite frank if you can't use this pedal there is something wrong with you. I only have two gripes with it's usability: 1) to change batteries you have to remove the entire backplate - that's more hassle than it needs to be, but as I use an adaptor is no biggie 2) lack of true bypass - you wouldn't expect it in a pedal at this price range, but this thing has a very poor bypass - it really sucks all the life out of your sound even when off. Being fair though - this has to score well on ease of use - the tone suck is a sound thing // 7

Sound: I first tried this through my practice rig of. Pearly gates modded pacifica -> pedal -> Peavey bandit amp. And god it sounded it awful. Never fear I thought, I'll put it full my full rig at a jam, that should help it out. Into my full rig it goes. Gibson Explorer/(also used a friends american strat) -> Fender HOT Rod -> (FX loop) Pedal. Still sounded shocking! There is no depth control, and by default it seems to be set to max, let be honest it's pretty rare you ever want ANY pedal set to max let alone a chorus which to my mind should be used largely as a subtle effect. This is exacerbated when you dial the rate up as it seems that even more depth is added, the main way you can tell this is by the amount of hiss it generates... Not only does it massively overdo the level of effect it also destroys the tone of whatever goes into it - it feels like the presence knob has been taken out your amp, put in backwards and set to cut it all out. Things don't get much better when you turn it off either - as far as I can tell not only is it not true bypass, but turning it off just reduces the depth and there is still a slight wooshing that can be heard, more annoyingly that tone suck is ever present. Putting this in the FX loop, even with it off made my usually gorgeous HOT Rod sounds like the sort of pound-land knockoff you'd expect to sport a "Pender" logo... In short this is, and will probably remain, the worst sounding pedal I have ever used. I have heard better chorus effects built into modelling amps that cost not much more than this pedal. // 1

Reliability & Durability: The casing is solid, and there isn't a lot inside it to go wrong so I would trust it to take a bashing provided it wasn't plugged into anything. A quick look at it's insides however reveals that the jack connectors, 9v connector and foot Switch are directly soldered onto the PCB and in fact the jacks are not attached AT ALL to the outer casing. Should you stomp on this and miss slightly and hit your jack lead it could be a Swift goodbye to this pedal... On balance though it is solidly built - I wouldn't gig with it and certainly wouldn't buy a second one as a backup but if I was using it regularly I'd trust it. // 7

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for about 6 years now and have been slowly building my pedal collection and was looking for a cheap chorus just to have a bit of fun with. This pedal ticked the cheap category at only 30, but unfortunately failed to tick the "fun" box as it just sounds godawful. I would normally be inclined to say for a cheap pedal like this it's worth a shot to see if you like chorus as an effect or not, but in this case it's not true. It'll likely put you off using chorus at all, which is a great shame as it can add a lot to your sound. Fortunately I paid no money for this and I was able to give it straight back and I would most certainly not buy one again. I'm now in the market for a proper chorus pedal but won't be lured in by the cheap and cheerful trap again. // 3

Nano Clone Reviewed by: Crazed Shredder, on september 03, 2010

Ease of Use: The pedal is very easy to use. It only has one knob that changes the rate of the effect. I wish it had a depth knob on it but oh well, it works fine without it. Just in case you don't know, a chorus pedal is an effect that doubles your guitar sound and modulates the doubled signal giving the guitar a shimmering sound. // 9

Sound: The effect itself sounds good but there is a signal drop when you turn it on which is annoying, but not a deal-breaker. Also, it can get noisy when used with distortion but lots of pedals do. It has a very basic chorus sound good for clean and distorted sounds. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have not gigged with this pedal but it seems to be sturdy and I have not had any problems with it. I would trust it as much as any other pedal in a gig. But again, I have no reason to know that it is very reliable because I have not used it live. One thing I have noticed is a lot of dust gets caught under the speed knob so you will need to clean that every once in a while. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a good chorus pedal for people on a budget who want a good reliable chorus. If you have the money get a more expensive one but otherwise this will do. One thing you should know is it needs to have its own AC adapter, so it will not work with 1Spot, Pedal Brick, etc. That is the only thing that really bugs me about it. If it broke or got stolen I would save up and buy a Boss Chorus Ensemble but for now I am content. // 7

Nano Clone Reviewed by: LoLex, on august 20, 2012

Ease of Use: I got it in a secondhand condition from a seller for $50, lucky for me cos I saw the original price label in the box and it's $159. Wohooo! This pedal is one from the Nano family of EHX, which saves place in my board. Here's the specs from the EHX main site btw: - True bypass - Rate knob - Tough and compact die-cast chassis - 9-volt battery included -Optional 96DC-200BI power supply available. When I got this pedal, it comes with a warranty, manual, and the catalogue book. // 9

Sound: It sounds awesome! You can use it as a clean sound, or shimmer the distorted sound. I'm plugged from Fender Standard Stratocaster, Boss DS-2 and SD-2, Dunlop Crybaby to a small 20W practice amp, and it can handle the watery sparkling sound to a vibrato-like rotary speaker (at the full rate). Even with only a single rate control, you can go from RHCP's "Under The Bridge" outro part, Nirvana's "Come As You Are", to Black Label Society's "Blood Is Thicker Than Water"! I rate it 9, cos it would be great if there's a "depth" control, but it was worth for a mini-sized class pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As it says, tough die-cast chassis.it's hard as hell! I ever bashed it accidentally with my guitar and nothing is wrong, not even a single crack. But the painting doesn't seems to be durable enough.It started to fade after a month. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and metal, but sometimes blues too.It fits for almost any genres.I've been playing for 2 years but this is my first chorus pedal, so I can't say anything about comparing.The things I love are the size, sound, and simple operation, and the hate? I haven't find any issues for now.Overall, this pedal is great! // 9

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Knockout Attack Equalizer 8.5 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014