Nano Holy Grail Review

8.3
reviews (3) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Nano Holy Grail Reviewed by: andy474x, on august 30, 2011

Purchased from: Daddy's Boston

Ease of Use: The Holy Grail Nano is about as easy to use as they come, its controls are identical to the original Holy Grail. 3-way switch for spring, hall, or flerb (combination of flange and reverb), and a knob that adjusts the amount of the effect. Not much more you can say about that. In addition to the controls, the Nano version also features smaller size (obviously), along with hosting a 9v battery compartment or accepting any standard 9v power supply, which I've heard was not the case on the original. You can literally turn it on and have it sounding good in about 10 seconds. I've discovered that it also does well in my effects loop, whereas many other pedals will distort in a line level loop this one doesn't seem to at all, which is good because for most people that's the ideal place for reverb. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal mostly with an Egnater Tweaker head, Fender Strat, Ibanez semihollow, and a couple of PRS SE's, along with various other pedals. For what it is, this pedal really puts out a great reverb sound. The spring is my favorite setting, sounds a lot like a good Fender reverb to me and I've always gravitated toward that sound. The hall setting is pretty nice too, for hall reverb emulation it sounds very good, just not really my thing. The flerb does sound like a flanger and reverb, but I could really do without it. It's just not my flavor, I'm not much for the funky effects like flange and it's very hard for me to find an appropriate time to use it. I could have gone for another variation on a spring reverb instead. Unfortunately, there's no way to adjust the reverb sound other than the 3 way switch, so for me, running it on spring 90% of the time, it does get a little monotonous, but I guess that's what you get in most amps too. Overall, it really nails the sound of a good reverb, despite being limited in flexibility. There's a reason it's called the Holy Grail. // 9

Reliability & Durability: EH has a pretty solid reputation for building tough pedals, and so far this one has held up. I'm not too rough on pedals, but the metal casing is nice and thick and everything seems to be mounted securely. I gig it without a backup with no worries, but I gig almost everything but guitars without a backup - I just get reliable gear so I don't have to haul 2 of everything to a show. // 9

Overall Impression: I play many styles, mostly blues, rock, and a little metal, pretty standard fare really, and the Holy Grail Nano makes for a great all-around reverb, especially for an amp that doesn't have one built in. But I could definitely go for a little more tweakability too. It would be nice to be able to adjust the decay, for example. I think EH makes a Holy Grail plus that has some of those features, so if you're not just looking for a reverb tank substitute, I would save a few more pennies up and look into that. But if you want a straightforward, great sounding reverb, the Holy Grail Nano is definitely at the top of the list. Definitely check one out. // 8

Nano Holy Grail Reviewed by: johnyere, on may 23, 2012

Price paid: C$ 125

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Ease of Use: This is a very easy pedal to use, as their are only 2 controls on it - one to chose what kind of reverb, and a mix knob. Because of this I recommend it to those who want an easy to use reverb pedal. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with a Epiphone SG and Vox AC4TV. It is not a noisy pedal unless you put the reverb way up, and this is nothing new with digital reverbs. The effects are very "present" and add beef to your tone. The effects included are Spring, Hall and Flerb. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it for a week, but it seems very reliable as it is built with a cast metal chasis. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my first reverb pedal, and at just over $100, I think it is one of the best values you can get. Recommended for all those looking for a good quality, yet relatively cheap pedal. // 10

Nano Holy Grail Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2012

Price paid: C$ 125

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal 2 months ago, set it up on my board and had a nice sound out of it in about 5 minutes. A little switch for the 3 types of effect, and a knob to adjust the amount of efect. I can't imagine it being easier to use. It even came with it's own power supply. // 10

Sound: I have 2 amps, one has reverb built in, but this was to be used with my Dual Rectifier, and it adds a really nice element to the clean channel. As a bonus on my Mesa Express 5:25, if you stack this reverb onto the signal for the built in reverb, you get a really cool layered sound that works well for certain types of songs. On it's own it adds a reverb that's hard to complain about, flerb setting is almost like a lightning crashes sound... // 9

Reliability & Durability: I had this pedal about 6 weeks and it died while playing at home. I don't think this is a design flaw or a common issue with these, I think I just got a lemon. L&M replaced it right away no problem, and the replacement unit is working well. It's built solid, and EH has a great reputation... But since I had an issue I have to account for that in the score. I fully believe this unit will last a very long time. // 6

Overall Impression: I play mostly blues and classic rock stuff. I've been playing about 5 years, but I'm at it at least an hour a day, often 3-4 hours... I've built up a decent collection of guitars and gear including an American Strat, a Mexi Strat, a Gretsch 5122, a Gibson LP Studio, and a Taylor 410CE... A couple small practice amps as well as the 2 Mesa's mentioned above. I've got a variety of pedals on my board as I'm learning about how they work together building "my sound". I really like the sound of this pedal and if it were stolen etc... I'd go right to the nearest store to replace it. // 8

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Nano Small Stone Phase Shifter 8.5 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014