Nano Muff Overdrive Review

manufacturer: Electro-Harmonix date: 05/23/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Electro-Harmonix: Nano Muff Overdrive
The Electro-Harmonix Nano Muff Overdrive Effects pedal revives the big sound of the 1969 classic Muff Fuzz effect in a compact, die-cast aluminum package. No complicated settings needed here: just the switch and a volume knob. Rugged construction and amazingly compact to save valuable pedalboard space! The red LED indicates when the effect pedal is switched on.
 Ease of Use: 10
 8.2
 9.2
 7.1
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Nano Muff Overdrive Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 23, 2008

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: One volume knob and an on/off button/switch. Dead simple. It came with a manual, but really that just explains the basics of a pedal(not disconnecting it drains the battery, etc). Electro-Hamonix is used or has been used by all sorts of guitarists I like, so I figured it'd fit into my system. There is a problem if you don't understand what everything on this does. // 10

Sound: I decided to buy this after hearing my friends, so it wasn't purchased on price alone. It sounds just like my bands other guitarists Russian Big Muff with everything except volume set to twelve o' clock, with the volume knob actually being there. For the price it's a great pedal. I'm currently running this through a Fender Frontman 25R which I plan to upgrade to an Orange Crush 30 soon, along with a Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, and I'm currently using a Dillion DR522 PRS copy with an ebony fingerboard. Not sure if it's just the setup, but I can nail all sorts of distortions with just the changes on the knobs on my guitar. From Hendrix fuzz to Clapton Cream-era distortion, Jimmy page's sounds, even Black Sabbath fuzz a la Iron Man. I can get all sorts of different tones from this simple box. I suppose it makes sense, as, after looking through PDF's of manuals, this is apparently a reissue of the 1969 EH effect. So far I haven't had a single bit of buzz from it. I may just have bought a good unit, but unless you walk right up to the amp, there's little chance of hum, buzz or any noise that you don't want. In addition to the overdrive/fuzz effect, it also makes a very good signal booster and gives a guitar that already has huge sustain enough to make me confident it can hold a note for literally a minute without the sound fading. A quick note for those wanting to get multiple types of gain from it; it's all in your guitars controls. If you want Overdrive, set volume to about eight. For fuzz, ten. For sustain and signal boost, roll off the tone knob. Really playing around with it is the way to figure it out. All that being said, I wish it had a few more knobs just so I could change the type of sound I get or use it without the signal booster. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's light, but it isn't without heft. It's about as heavy as a Boss pedal and also has a metal chassis. So far it hasn't let me down at all and has shown impressive battery life, and, while the four-screw battery compartment has me worried about replacing the battery at gigs, I figure if I put a fresh battery in each show, no worries. It definitely seems durable and I would be willing to gig without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: My band plays all sorts of rock from the 60's to the late 90's and write alternative rock based on Cream-style Blues rock and late 70's-80's hard rock, and with a few chances to my guitars settings, this thing suits any kind of distortion I need perfectly, except basic, tube-like Overdrive, but both the Orange Crush 30 and my current amp can get that with the gain channel. I've been playing for four years and so far have five guitars, and, except for my acoustic, I only use the PRS copy out of those. Otherwise I'm using every bit of gear I have in my current setup. This thing fits in perfectly and it's incredibly small for what it does. If this were stolen, I would buy another since the price doesn't dig too deep into your wallet, especially for something made in the united states. That made in USA factor sorta gives you a "feel good" moment where you say to yourself it wasn't made with sweatshop labour. While at the store, I compared this thing to a Boss DS-1, Boss SD-1, EH Double Muff, EH Little Big Muff and an EH Russia muff. This thing won out for price, performance and the fact it suits my style perfectly. If you need a blues-rock/hard rock fuzz, Overdrive or distortion, this is your pedal. // 9

Nano Muff Overdrive Reviewed by: PumpkinPieces, on february 04, 2008

Ease of Use: The simple Muff: there's one knob for volume, pretty easy to use. Since there is no tone or gain knobs, you're only option is the tone given, which is good tone. Mine didn't come with a manual but if you need a manual on a volume knob, well you may need a manual for life. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Gibson SG Classic through many fuzz/overdrive pedals pedals (including the standard Big Muff Pi) into a Fender FM100 w/ Marshall Cabinet. If you already have a Big Muff the tone of the nano muff is juts like the Big muff's with the tone at 12 o'clock and the Sustain rolled all the way down. It creates a warm fuzz, which can be smooth with the tone on your guitar rolled down or crunchy with the the tone up. I use it for a nice Overdrive or a solo boost. I use a Bad Monkey with a decent amount of treble over bass at the end of my effect chain and the nano muff really smooths out the tone for solos. This pedal is great for adding character to other pedals, it was fun placing it different places in my pedal line and seeing different results. This effect has a lot of volume (possibly louder than a standard muff) and could easily be used for the cleaner Hendrix tunes, classic rock, or a lighter punk Drive. Under the right settings I could see it be a nice asset to a surf guitarist's rig giving a bit of a torn speaker effect. I was a hesitant in getting this pedal but once I kicked it on I fell in love. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The nano line come in nice MXR sized metal casings so I imagine it'd hold up well for a long time. I'd gig it without a backup, but technically I'll already have one since I use a Big Muff as well. anywho, the pedal looks rock solid, I can imagine me stomping on it years from now. // 9

Overall Impression: I play grunge/alternative music, basically '90s-present in my band, as well as '60s/'70s rock, and this pedal can be used in many situations within those genres. I've been playing for a little over 2 years and other pedals I own are (that haven't beens mentioned above): MXR blue Box, Devi Ever AR-DF, and Small clone. If it were stolen I'd definitely buy it again, it's a great pedal for it's low price. I love it's warmness and it gives a great boost to my lighter songs and can make a mean fuzz in my heavier songs. I couldn't really ask for more, this pedal is as simple and sweet as it gets, don't hesitate to buy it. // 9

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Knockout Attack Equalizer 8.5 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014