Nano Pocket Metal Muff Review

manufacturer: Electro-Harmonix date: 08/16/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Electro-Harmonix: Nano Pocket Metal Muff
Heavy metal firepower that fits in the palm of your hand. The little brother of the Metal Muff family is nasty. Carefully selected mid frequencies are switch selectable offering powerful, musical scoops. Slag simplicity.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 Ease of Use: 8.8
 8.1
 8.2
reviews (5) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Nano Pocket Metal Muff Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 20, 2007

Ease of Use: The Nano Pocket Metal Muff, Electro-Harmonix's latest product whose title could be mistaken for a sex toy, is incredibly easy to use. One knob is for output volume, and the other is for distortion. The mini switch in between is labeled "Scoop," and can be set to Hi, Lo, or Off. In lieu of any other tone-shaping controls, this Switch pulls midrange frequencies out of your tone; Lo for a moderate reduction, Hi for a more drastic cut. This is clearly a pedal aimed at the player Who doesn't want to deal with lots of programming, menus, and other non-user friendly things you might come across in a more complicated device. Its "nano" size is notable also; it measures a mere 4.5" by 2.5", which is great for those whose pedal board real estate is at a premium. I took one point off for the lack of a separate battery compartment. The bottom cover needs to come off to change the battery; this is minor but annoying. // 8

Sound: I found the Pocket Metal Muff excessively bright, and needed to bring my amp's treble down to compensate. Its distortion is cold, edgy, and tight. This is not necessarily a bad thing; many "metal" style distortion boxes have way too much bass that only muddies up at loud volumes. In my opinion, the "Scoop" switch was best left off, but some players may like less midrange than me. Different settings of the knob and Switch did not drastically alter the Metal Muff's tone, but colored it in a somewhat subtle way. The pedal is designed to be flat-out all the time, and I found the tone to be heaviest with the Gain knob on 10. Bummer it doesn't go to eleven! I miss not having at least a bass and treble pot, which would increase the pedal's versatility. You can only have so many knobs and features on a pedal this small, though. If you're into metal or industrial, this could be the pedal for you. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The case is unfinished cast aluminum, so you're not going to break that no matter how hard you step on it. The construction seems solid and the soldering inside is very clean. The only reservation I have is that the jacks are mounted directly to the circuit board. Be careful that you don't step on the cables when they're connected, as the jacks' solder joints my break and ruin your gig. Besides that, you should not have any trouble with the pedal. // 8

Overall Impression: This is not a sound I would use for my main Live tone, but I would consider getting one for studio use. Its cold, bright distortion would be great for filling in frequencies that might be missing from your recorded tone. Like its title implies, you won't find any blues, country, jazz or even classic rock tones here. If you're constantly looking for a heavier tone, give it a try. Especially considering its extremely reasonable price tag of $65 or so, the Nano Pocket Metal Muff is well worth having around. // 8

Nano Pocket Metal Muff Reviewed by: Mitchell?, on june 17, 2009

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use, it only has two knobs (Volume and Distortion, both very self-explanatory), and one 'Scoop' Switch that at the lowest setting gives you flat mids, at the middle ('Lo' mode) gives a scooped mid range, and at the top ('Hi' mode) gives a very scooped mid range. // 9

Sound: The sound of this pedal is decent, at best. I'm using it with a PRS SE Semi-Hollow through a Vox AC15. Although this isn't a 'metal' rig, I've used this set up with other distortion pedals with great success. This pedal is very loose, and on higher distortion levels, muddy and kind of fuzzy. With no mid scoop, it sounds weak and thin on the high-end, with a strange mid-range 'crang' on the bridge pickup that isn't pleasing. On the neck pickup it gives pretty good lead tones, IMO the best tones out of this pedal. In the middle position, or scooped mids mode, this pedal has a huge low-end, with a very nu-metal-esque scooped mid-range. Although this is the 'Lo' choice for the mid scoop, it's still very scooped, probably too much for most people. On the 'Hi' mid scoop mode, this pedal is even more scooped. At this point it's a lot like the 'Lo' mode with a big low-end, but it has absolutely no presence. I didn't find much use for this mode. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This pedal doesn't feel or look nearly as reliable as my other EHX pedals. The enclosure feels a lot lighter than other pedals of the same size, and it almost looks like plastic. I'm sure it'd be fine to gig with, although I'm not exactly impressed. Also, it looks like the jacks are fitted into slots in the side of pedal, not in their own holes which could cause problems. // 8

Overall Impression: I wasn't expecting much out of this pedal, and I came away from it with what I expected. This is a beginner's pedal, with a half-decent sound for cliche nu-metal type stuff. It's only redeeming factor is that it's relatively cheap, and can do relatively decent lead tones, not amazing, but pretty okay. I bought this pedal on a whim, expecting to return it, and I will be after I got to play it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, unless you could get it for very, very cheap and it's for practice. // 6

Nano Pocket Metal Muff Reviewed by: bighall, on november 27, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is quite easy to use. Two knobs, one is for volume and one is for the level of distortion you get. Then there is a mid-frequency scoop Switch with three positions; high, low, and off. A basic footswitch button thing on top is all you need to turn this mini-beast on or off. The manual that came with it is easy to understand and somewhat helpful. // 9

Sound: This pedal holds up really well in the sound department. Your gonna get a whole mess of distortion with this, so natrually, it's gonna be a bit noisy, but you can really cut down on that by standing away from TV screens and stuff like that. The only thing is that it really isnt made to give any sorta "Hard Rock Crunch" or '80s rock sounds, it's all Metal here. I'm currently running a Eipiphone SG Special with some heavy gauge strings through this to a Peavy 30watt Bandit Amp. I can get some sounds pretty close to Metallica and other Thrash Metal bands with it but that's about it. This pedal was designed for an axmen on a budget, so it's not that flexable, but it does its job well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This 'lill box is built prety tough. It's made from aluminum (I think) and all the knobs, switches, and inner components are held down well. I don't think this pedal is gonna break down any time soon. One of the only problem is the battery compartment is hard to get to. The only way to get to it is to unscrew four screws on the back, but this can be overcome with the 9v adapter you can use on most pedals. As for gigging, I haven't have much experince in that department, but I would probably use it with a backup, but only if I lost it, because I don't think this will die mid-show unless you try to turn it on with a sledge hammer or something. // 8

Overall Impression: As the box says, "your fistfull of metal" is a pretty accurate discription of this product. After about 3 years of serious playing, I'm quite content with this pedal. Although it might not stack up to it's bigger brothers in versatility, it holds down a good metal tone very well. As for any other style forget about it. The mid-scoop Switch alters the tone a bit, but it's more of a tweak kind of thing. If it had High and Low frequency pots, it would be great, but this pedal was designed for someone on a budget to buy, plug in, and rock. I was going to save up for an Uber Metal Pedal, but for 60 bucks, I'm quite sastfied with this product. If it were stolen, I would probably buy aonther to hold me over till I can save up for a full-sized Metal Muff, but for a mini, it does its job with gusto. // 8

Nano Pocket Metal Muff Reviewed by: isaacmiranda7, on june 22, 2010

Purchased from: Music Master

Ease of Use: This pedal is incredibly easy to use, only two knobs, Drive and Volume, as well as a Switch regarding the High and Low midrange scoops. No manual, but it is almost two easy to use. To get your sound just tweak around, though after about 7 on the distortion knob there will only be a slight difference in the distortion tone. // 9

Sound: I'm using this with a Grover Jackson Dinky DK-1, basswood body, rosewood neck, Licensed Floyd Rose and a DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell and a Schaller Hot Stuff in the two humbucking slots for a superb heavy tone into a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt amp, which different effects every now and then. The pedal isn't noisy at all but this is NOT a booster pedal to boost a distortion sound. It sounds best when it on by itself. You get a great albeit not so versatile tone when the distortion is maxed out ala Bullet For My Valentine. There is a sweetspot when there is low distortion that allows for an AC/DC-like Marshall crunch tone, though I don't use it that often. This pedal is not the best metal pedal out there, yet, for the price it is really a good catch. The sound is powerful, but pretty gainy. It adds a couple seconds of sustain when turned up to the maximum. The scoops are pretty useless though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Well, it is made of a steel casing and it definitely isn't a battery guzzler like the Boss MT-2 so yes, I would use it at a gig without a backup if it comes to that. However, I wouldn't use this pedal all the time during a gig. Maybe for certain songs that use heavy riffage or tunneling "sustainy" leads. // 8

Overall Impression: This is definitely a good match for my style of hard rock/metal playing. I've been playing electric for about two years now, but I'm mostly a drummer. If it were stolen or lost, I would but it again just for the "effect" on certain songs, but maybe buy an MXR Double Shot Distortion first for more versatility. I chose this pedal rather than the Boss Mega Distortion and ModTone Speedbox because I felt that it DID have better sound. Overall, a good buy and definitely not a waste of money. // 8

Nano Pocket Metal Muff Reviewed by: twistedsista521, on august 16, 2010

Ease of Use: The pedal has two knobs (volume, gain) and one scoop selector Switch (off, low, high). Extremely simple to use and even easier to get a good sound out of it. If you want more distortion, turn the distortion to the left. Same with the volume. If you like deep growls you just flip the scoop up high. If you like piercing metal treble keep the scoop off. Simple as that. // 9

Sound: I run it with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus top and a Peavey Vypyr 15. It is not noisly at all, in fact I've never had troubles with it. The effects sound good most of the time, whether your running it over a crunch (through your amp) or crisp and clean under it. I don't like to run it over more distortion then a crunch though, because I think it sounds horrid. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think you can definately depend on it in a gig, because it is made out of a solid metal. The button on it feels like it could last a lifetime. I would be comfortable using it in a gig without a backup. I even bought mine used and it is very solid, so if you can find one used go for it and save an extra $20, knowing that the pedal is going to be solid no matter what. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from classic rock to hair metal. This is perfect for both of those. If there is one thing I wished it had, it would be a tone knob instead of the scoop selector. If it were stolen or lost, I would look for one used, but if I couldnt find one, I'd buy a proco rat, (tried one out at the store they were sweet but didn't have enough cash on me and I needed a pedal for band practice so I took this home and was surprised of how good it was for $50). All in all, I'd say definately give it a shot. (BTW if it did have a tone knob instead of the scoop I wouldve taken this one any day over the rat). // 8

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Knockout Attack Equalizer 8.5 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014