Small Stone (Classic Chassis) Phase Shifter Review

manufacturer: Electro-Harmonix date: 04/30/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Electro-Harmonix: Small Stone (Classic Chassis) Phase Shifter
Blues boys and babes dig it's rapidly rotating speaker effect while Country players use it to add seasoning to their chicken' pickin'. Metal-heads and Industrialists dig the Stone's jet plane woosh.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 Ease of Use: 9.8
 9.3
 9.2
 9.3
reviews (5) pictures (4) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Small Stone (Classic Chassis) Phase Shifter Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2004

Purchased from: Denmark Street

Ease of Use: The Small Stone is probably the most simplistic pedal you'll ever use. All it has is a colour on/off switch and the rate knob in the middle of the pedal, which obviously controls the sweep rate of the Phaser effect. This is an updated version of the Original Small Stone, but as far as I know, they only added in the colour switch. // 10

Sound: I'm using this pedal in league with my ProCo Turbo Rat, Rickenbacker 360 and putting it through my Line 6 Flexitone III. I've found that when using distortion, it's more favourable to turn off colour (which merely adds a bassy tone to the sweeping effect), as it sounds more natural and subtle; it doesn't affect the other effects at all. It doesn't affect the noise levels at all, and sends a clear, crisp effect to the amp. When not using distortion, turn on the COLOUR setting for that visible, bassy and full sweeping effect. The tone of this pedal is great, and it's clear to see why they didn't include all the confusing moddelling abilities that Boss include. Basically, this pedal beats the Boss one hands down, both in quality and in simplicity. Also to add, that if you're looking for the classic Jonny Greenwood phaser effect (i.e. in Paranoid Android), this is the pedal he uses. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far nothing has gone wrong, the pedal can be battery powered as well as powered via a power supply lead. The battery hasn't worn out yet and I've been using it pretty much every day for about 2 months. The only thing is, it dents quite easily, and although i'm sure it wouldn't break if I dropped it, I'm very, very careful with it. It's also quite bulky, it's big, but not heavy. // 8

Overall Impression: For the style of music I play, Indie/Alt Rock, this pedal is perfect in every shape and form. It provides the subtle effect when Colour is off, and the full blown bassy effect when i switch Colour on. With all of my guitars - ranging from a Fender Strat to the Rickenbacker, a Alvarez acoustic to a Takamine - it sounds perfect. It also came with a free pack of Electro Harmonix strings, which was nice! If I lost this pedal, I'd cry like a year old baby with a soiled diaper, and sulk and sulk until I could get my hands on another one. I love it's simplicity, the quality of the sound, and the fact that it's just legendary and immortal. It's definately a pivotal part of my setup, and I'll be using it without doubt with my band. // 10

Small Stone (Classic Chassis) Phase Shifter Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 06, 2004

Purchased from: Sherwood Music

Ease of Use: This pedal is awesome. It is very easy to use. It has one knob and a colour switch. How much more simple can you get. (I have the Russian version which is the exact same but uglier). // 10

Sound: My current rig is a Marshall AVT50 Combo, Dunlop JH-1 wah, Danelectro Fab Tone, Boss CH-1 Chorus, Line 6 Delay, Electro-Harmonix Small Stone. It suits my rig nicely. I play everything and am influenced by Eddie Van Halen a little bit, so I love this pedal. It sounds amazing. The sound of this pedal is awesome, I haven't played many phasers but I like this one. I like the sound of this pedal when the colour switch is flicked down, (it isn't as metallic sounding) but all in all this pedal sounds really good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I just got this pedal and it has been alright so far. The led light seems a little iffy, it hasn't shown up at times. But that's a minor detail. It's easy to tell if it's on. I have the adapter with this as well, I don't like using batteries. I do play shows and I plan on using this pedal on all of my upcoming shows as well. // 8

Overall Impression: This pedal is awesome and it wasn't expensive. It sounds great and I highly recommend it. // 10

Small Stone (Classic Chassis) Phase Shifter Reviewed by: SpanishYanez, on july 10, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal I bought brand spanking new. It's the US version and so simple to use all need to adjust is the speed knob and the flick the color switch to suit your needs. The swooshing sound of the phaser had a sound I just liked better than the MXR 90. I like the color Switch down and the knob at 11 o'clock. // 9

Sound: I'm currently using this pedal with my Marshall MG100DFX along with my signature P.O.S guitar with the Big Muff, DS-1, Dunlop Crybaby, and some other stuff. My Uncle let me borrow his Les Paul Custom one day and man the phaser kicked ass. The pedal gives me sounds that I'm trying to create. I try to use it with a clean channel once in a while I use it in an Overdrive channel and I try to use this pedal only without mixing it with other effects. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Nothing had broke in this pedal so far but it doesn't look as durable as my Crybaby so I try to be gentle with it. I would use it in a gig without a backup because it will be my only phaser pedal. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a blend of everything I hear but mostly is The Pumpkins, RATM, and so on. If it were stolen or lost I would buy another one but then I would beat the hell out of the guy Who did stole it. I love the color switch it gives me the choice to make it sound more metallic or normal. For me it's the best phaser pedal I bought for a hell of a deal. // 9

Small Stone (Classic Chassis) Phase Shifter Reviewed by: SenorBill, on july 31, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal sounds great no matter how you use it. The controls are simple so you don't have a hard time finding a good sound with it. If you are using this with distortion, it sounds better with the color switch off. The manual really doesn't have much to say, since the pedal is so easy to use. // 10

Sound: I'm using my Squier Strat with this, not an awesome guitar but it works fine. Anyway, I have a Crate XT120R combo amp with it. This thing sounds great through it, on a clean setting and also with distortion. When you turn the rate up all the way, you get a pretty cool effect. The pedal is sort of noisy, you probably couldn't hear it very clearly in a gig, but if you listen closely there is that whooshing sound in the background even when you arent playing, but it really isn't bad. The only problem with the pedal is the fact that it drops the volume significantly, which would be pretty annoying in a gig, but not hard to deal with. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It comes in a nice metal case, and I would have no problem using it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from classic rock to metal, and this pedal sounds good with both. It is a very solid pedal and can create many different sounds depending on what other effects you use it with, like distortion or reverb. I got a good deal on this pedal, which is why I bought it, but it isn't worth regular price for the amount of controls on it, like regen or depth as is found on many other phaser pedals. But if you don't care about that and just want a good sounding, solid phaser pedal, then this is for you. // 8

Small Stone (Classic Chassis) Phase Shifter Reviewed by: JackSaints, on april 30, 2013

Purchased from: Gear4Music

Ease of Use: Incredibly easy to use. You have the bypass switch to turn it on and off. You have the colour switch to choose which mode to use. You have a knob to control the effect. That is literally it. Three things you can alter. It really doesn't get easier to use than that, does it? An alien visiting Earth could control it with their eyes shut, it really is that simple. Considering this, it is very easy to get a good sound out of it. Just choose your colour and mess around with the "rate" knob. Crank it up it you want a watery sound, lower it if you want a milder tone. // 10

Sound: Despite what a simple pedal it is to run, you can get an awful lot of sounds from it depending on your setup. Using green Twn channel on a Peavey Vypyr, you can get the spacey, in-your-face phase that sends you on a trip to Mars, or you can change colour and have a gentler phase-trip. On the darker colour, if you put the knob all the way to the right, you can get a very neat watery sound, which is sure to make any listeners Imagine waterfalls, or the tinkling sound of using a toilet. When using distortion: You can put it before the distortion so you get the best of both worlds - your distortion with a gentle mix of phase. Or you can put it the other way round and send yourself on a deep trip through space. Up to you. Finally, using a power supply doesn't ruin the sound in any way - nor does daisy-chaining it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable little pedal in my opinion. I'd happily gig without backup - I've not gigged with it (yet) but I know it would be up for it. It seems constructed well enough - you could drop it and bash it and it should work fine. Interestingly, it seems to have quite a good battery life too. I'd still suggest getting a power supply, but it isn't quite as battery-hungry as most pedals so that's pretty good. I need 500 characters but don't really have much more to add to this. So I'll just say yes, this is a reliable pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: I am very doom/stoner rock focused and this pedal handles the psychedelic side of things very, very nicely. When playing clean, you can add a nice, spaced-out edge while remaining melodic and smooth-sounding. While distorted, you can sound even more spaced out or you can get a more delicate spacey effect, which suits my needs fantastically. In my 5 years of playing this has been my first Phaser and I'm very impressed with it. If it was lost or stolen, I am sure I'd get a new one without hesitation. Granted, I haven't tried any other phase effects other than the built in one on a Vypyr 30, but for the price and for what it does, the Small Stone seems to be the way to go. To sum up, it suits my needs perfectly, is very versatile and comes at a good price too. Excellent phase pedal.

// 10

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Knockout Attack Equalizer 8.5 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014