Stereo Memory Man With Hazarai Review

manufacturer: Electro-Harmonix date: 04/09/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Electro-Harmonix: Stereo Memory Man With Hazarai
It's an echo, a multi-tap delay, a reverse echo, and a performance looper with up to 30 seconds of loop time, all in true stereo! Featuring tap tempo, vintage tape echo filtering, and eight programmable presets... it's got all the Hazarai.
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 9.3
 8.8
 9.8
reviews (2) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Stereo Memory Man With Hazarai Reviewed by: SpanishYanez, on february 20, 2009

Ease of Use: I bought this around late January after hearing some of the awesome stuff it had on one of those EHX effects sampler discs. I was kind of confused at first how to use it, but after reading the manual it made so much more sense. It has 6 knobs: Blend (dry/wet ratio), Decay (a reverb knob basically), Filter (High Pass/Low Pass filter), Repeats (feedback knob really), Delay (your delay time), Hazarai (your preset selector). It also has stereo inputs and outputs (which I don't use but need to). The Hazarai modes are as follows: Echo Section: 3 sec, 1 sec, 300mS+mod. Multi-Tap Section: 3 sec, 1 sec, 1 sec+Rev. Deja Vu Section: Reverse Echo, Loop. Each mode can have a saved preset which I found to be a really neat feature. It also has a tap tempo, which is great for delaying with the beat of your foot. The mod delay on this can range from this flange/chorus like effect to this wierd Pink Floyd background effect that I manage to get after screwing around with knobs. You have to really tweak this pedal to get that sound you want, it's not really hard just experiment with it. // 10

Sound: I use this effect after my Boss DD-7 for this wierd delay effect. I am using it with a Peavey Rage 158 but I am getting a better amp, but even through that it sounds great. I love the fact that the Reverse Echo is really a reverse effect I mean I love this effect. I also manage to get this church organ effect on this pedal with a fast slapback delay and the decay on 10. This pedal sounds great, I noticed that loop settings can get your recording and reverse it and that was good but the adjusting the speed of the recording seemed to compromise the quality of your recording to something more digital sounding (but then again it's a Digital Delay pedal). // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is very durable it still manages to survive after a month of my seismic stomping so it's going to last me a good long time. I depend on it anytime I need a delay effect, I would would use it on a gig without a backup because well I can't afford another one at the moment. But believe me this pedal is durable, the thing that I'm starting to like about EHX is that they are putting their FX pedals in these die cast metal casings which they should've done to begin with because well I have to be gentle with my small stone and my big muff, and I'm a gentle guy when it comes to effects. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of 90s alt, psychedelic, and some unorthodox stuff and this pedal suit's them all for me. I've been playing for about 4 or 5 years and I finally told myself(I need a delay pedal) so I bought the DD-7 then memory man. I also own EHX small stone, EHX Russian and Amercian Big Muffs, DigiTech Whammy, Boss DD-7, Dumlop Dime Crybaby from Hell, and an EHX Soul Preacher (kind of a gear whore). I don't really use the Loop mode but the other modes I saved my presets on every Hazarai mode. If it were lost or stolen all I can say that the poor bastard's face would be rearranged, believe I will. I use a Boss DD-7 and this pedal is my main delay bitch. // 10

Stereo Memory Man With Hazarai Reviewed by: toyboxmonster, on april 09, 2009

Price paid: C$ 219

Purchased from: Spaceman Music

Ease of Use: For all of it's knobs and lights, the Stereo Memory Man with Hazari is a fairly simple pedal to use, simply because it takes very little tweaking to dial in any given sound. There are six knobs: Blend (controls the amount of wet/dry signal), Decay (controls the "thickness of the delay), Filter (controls the amount of low end/high end present in repeats), Repeats (controls number of repeats), Delay (controls length of delay), and the Hazari knob. The Hazari is used to Switch between 3 regular echo modes, 3 multi-tap modes, and the reverse echo mode. In addition, it can be used to Switch between saved presets. The SMMH allows for up to 8 presets to be saved, one for each mode. There is a manual for it, but it is long-winded and I've found it less frustrating to toy with the controls to discover the pedal rather than reading the manual. // 7

Sound: I actually primarily use this for bass. The setup I use is: Yamaha rbx 270 j > MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz > Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazari > DigiTech Digiverb > Yorkville Bassmaster 200T. The sound of the SMMH is very organic as opposed to the digital sheets of sound offered by Boss and DigiTech. However, for my purposes, I find the SMMH isn't ideally suited for guitar. It is difficult to get a long, smooth trail on this unit; the space between Echoes is always audible. The only settings at which they are inaudible are ones that are too short for my purposes on guitar. With bass however, the SMMH offers a very organic, somewhat lo-fi quality which is great for noise-rock droning. The filter is quite useless on a bass and only sounds good if left at 12 o'clock. The reverse echo is a very strange and interesting sound, though it isn't nowhere near as practical as the one found on Boss products. Unlike the Boss DD-20 Giga Delay, the delay on the SMMH cannot be turned off without silencing the loop, which means that it's virtually useless to loop long, ambient drones, because anything played over them will only blend into them and disappear. This is probably the most irritating feature of this pedal, and single-handedly caused me to decide to get something else for guitar use. // 7

Reliability & Durability: One thing that definitely can be said about the SMMH is that it's sturdy. Being a part of the newer Electro-Harmonix line, the Stereo Memory Man is encased in a thick die-cast armor with a very MXR feel. We all know how reliable MXR boxes are; this pedal is the same. One thing that may or may not be a reliability issue is that this thing gets really, really hot when used with the included adaptor. Really, though, there are no problems here. // 10

Overall Impression: I play ambient/shoegazing music, making frequent use of bass drones, for which this pedal is ideally suited. For anything else, though, I've found it virtually useless. I've seen the demos, I've seen friends use it, but it just isn't at all useful to my guitar playing. I now use a DD-20 for that and the delays are much longer, smoother, more resonant, and more versatile, even if the tone gets a little thin. This was bought with bass in mind, so I don't regret the purchase, but there was a time when I wanted to get this to hook up to my guitar's fx chain, and this simply would not have done the job. I really hate the mentionned looping problem. To me, it simply ruins whatcould have been another amazing stompbox from Electro-Harmonix. // 7

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Nano Small Stone Phase Shifter 8.5 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014