Stereo Polychorus Review

manufacturer: Electro-Harmonix date: 01/20/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Electro-Harmonix: Stereo Polychorus
The final word in chorus pedals. The much anticipated reissue of the classic EH pedal that Kurt Cobain and Adrian Belew relied on to create their signature sounds but now in Stereo and with an improved signal-to-noise ratio. The Stereo Polychorus provides the lushest stereo chorus, rich chiming flange, and the over the edge effects that made this versatile pedal legendary.
 Ease of Use: 6
 8.8
 9.6
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Stereo Polychorus Reviewed by: GrungeBeatle, on january 20, 2007

Purchased from: East Coast Music Mall

Ease of Use: I've owned several EH pedals over the past years and one thing I always appreciated was the ease of use, the polychorus however is a different story. I bought this pedal and began experimenting with it right away. The pedal did not come with a manual and is the one EH product that I believe should have. But once you figure out all the knobs and get your favourite settings, than the hours spent figuring this out is well worth it. // 6

Sound: I usually use this with my custom made Strat copy through a Marshall 100HDFX or Fender Super 60. There is a huge array of sounds you can get out of this, from a sweeping flanger, to a Small Clone like chorus, and even engine noises and other worldly sounds. One of my favourite features is the feedback knob which also controls how much the effect itself drowns out the signal from the guitar and I've used the pedal itself as an intrument. The filter matrix feature really brings out the lower end of distortion pedals while the flanger is great whether clean or distorted. The double tracking is basically an echo feature without a long delay. I bought this pedal because I've used EH products in the past and because Kurt Cobain used it on his more experimental tracks such as Radio Friendly Unit Shifter and Scentless Apprentice. If you do however come across his settings, they aren't exact because the pedal has changed since then, mainly in the placement of the knobs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Like all EH pedals, this was made survive a rough stage life. It comes in a durable steel case with LED's and large black knobs. The paint on the body is fairly scratch resistant, but like many EH pedals I've used, the paint on the knobs comes off fairly easily, but his can be fixed with either nail polish or white out. The one main drawback I find to this pedal is that is doesn't use a battery and must be plugged in, but if you have a pedal board, it's easier to use. I would use this without a backup, but I usually use a Small Clone with it to layer chorus effects. // 8

Overall Impression: I play grunge, punk, and experimental hard rock and this covers the bases; it's also great for metal soloing or rhythm. I've noticed that this pedal works best with distortion pedals with a lot of low end such as a Big Muff or Pro Co Rat, but it's not as good with Overdrive. If this were stolen I would be pissed because of the large price tag. I absolutely love the versatility of the pedal but this makes it a little more difficult to figure out at first. This pedal is a much better choice than buying a flanger and chorus in seperate pedals. // 8

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Nano Small Stone Phase Shifter 8.5 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014