Vintage 70s Little Big Muff Review

manufacturer: Electro-Harmonix date: 11/11/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Electro-Harmonix: Vintage 70s Little Big Muff
I play mainly blues rock, and this is the perfect effect for it, in my opinion. Overall, an amazing sound.
 Ease of Use: 10
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Vintage 70s Little Big Muff Reviewed by: DrewMeyer, on november 11, 2011

Purchased from: Craigslist

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal from Craigslist, of course used, with no manual. It doesn't need one, though, because of it's simplicity. Just a volume knob and a tone switch (high and low). There are no bad tones on this, because there are really only two tones, high and low. I also use my TS9 before this in my chain as kind of a tone to even more fine tune the sound (the TS9 doesn't actually change the sound of the muff, so I can just use the tone knob to fine tune the highs and lows). I own the newer little big muff, too, and it really doesn't help to much more to have the tone and sustain knob, it just adds more stuff to complicate the pedal. Overall, super simple pedal. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with a Blackheart Little Giant and an Epiphone Dot. I have a TS9 as mentioned earlier before it. I also own the newer Little Big Muff, which I compared side by side with the Vintage one. The Vintage one definitely is better. The low is less muddy and more usable, and the highs are more defined. It also works better with the TS9 than the newer one, which maybe only effects me, I don't know. In terms of fuzz/overdrive, this pedal is brilliant. On the low setting, it gives a sound similar to The Black Keys, who is my favorite artist. On the high setting, though, it gives a sound similar to the lead guitar in The Strokes. Overall, an amazing sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not gigged with this yet, but considering it has stood up to 33 years of playing, it clearly is quite dependable. I feel it is much better made than the newer Little Big Muffs, all the knob and switch feel sturdy, and I would definitely gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly blues rock, and this is the perfect effect for it, in my opinion. I love the Vintage Heritage that comes with this pedal. I love that it only has a tone switch and volume, which allows simple tone selections. I can't say there is anything I hate about this pedal, I just cannot find a flaw in it. If it were lost, stolen, or broken, I would try to buy a new one, but that would be hard considering they are hard to find, let alone for the price I got mine. I know I am rating this a perfect 10, but I just cannot find a flaw in this pedal. // 10

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Nano Small Stone Phase Shifter 8.5 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014