EQ-10 Sweet Tone Equalizer Review

review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
EQ-10 Sweet Tone Equalizer Reviewed by: Jaspafari, on november 02, 2012

Price paid: € 44

Purchased from: Musicstore

Ease of Use: Open the box and you get a pedal, and that's really all there is to it. No manual was included, although the concept of an equalizer is simple and if you buy this, you know what it will do. The lack of an included battery is something else. I immediately put it in my daisy chain with my other pedals, but for someone who get's this as his first pedal and has no experience with effect pedals this can be a surprise and you can't start using it until you buy a battery or adaptor. It is a 7-band equalizer, so 7 sliders to adjust the 7 frequencies and one slider for overall volume. The sliders boost or cut the frequencies. Further is there a button to switch the effect on or of. While on, each slider has a red light that turns on, so you have 8 red lights showing that the pedal is active. When switched of, it has true bypass. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal with either a Strat with single coils, Jackson Rhoads with Seymour Duncans or an Epiphone Tony Iommi Signature with Iommibuckers through a Vox AC30. It has different uses to me. The volume slider alone means it can be just a volume boost. Volume and higher frequencies boost is ideal for soloing and making sure I have enough clarity to break through my bands sound. Depending in what guitar I use, it can shape my sound. For instance, through my Vox the Iommibuckers have a bit to much lows, so I can cut some of the lows and increase the highs. And finally, turn all the settings up, so it increases all the frequencies, and it will give your Overdrive more gain and punch. There is not much noise when used in mild settings, let's say setting the sliders not more than half up or down. Higher than that you get A little noise. When setting the sliders to he highest position, noise is huge and I get a constant high pitched squeal from my amp, but that's at extreme settings. Noise depends of course on what other pedals you have in your chain. Noise increases with Overdrive or distortion. On it's own it should not be a problem, I myself run mine in the effects loop of a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, just in case. Compared to noise in other equalizers I tested, this has an advantage. As for getting great sound, it's very simple to get a good sound, as long as you don't do anything stupid like cutting all the highs fully and leaving only the lows. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a build with a Solid Metal case which can take a lot of abuse. The lisder showever look rather weak and I fear they can break of it, let's say, something fell on the pedal. Although I think this will be a general problem with slider-knobs. It has never let me down while playing and I see no reason why it should. As for gigging without backup, surely. And playing without an equalizer isn't such a disaster as losing your distortion mid-gig. And of course, I'm not that rich that I have spare pedals lying around. // 6

Overall Impression: This pedal is a Biyang Tonefancier pedal which Musicstore buys in and gives a new label. I compared and overall I think by buying the Musicstore version it's a bit cheaper. I had my doubts as a 44 euro pedal seams a bit cheap to me, but I haven't had any problems with it. So a little summary: - Low pricing compared to other competitors - True bypass - Not much noise - Lot's of uses: sound shaping, boost, extra gain,... - Fancy red light's look really cool, especially on a darker stage and show you the curve of your sliders. // 8

More Fame reviews rating category latest review
+ Baphomet 5 NTB 8.9 Bass Guitars 11/07/2014