Blender Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 06/11/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Fender: Blender
The controls for the fender blender are volume, sustain, tone and blend. There are two foot switches: on & off, and tone boost.
 Ease of Use: 6.5
 6.8
 7.4
 6.1
reviews (2) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Blender Reviewed by: rockstrongo, on july 28, 2004

Ease of Use: The Fender Blender, one of the most chaotic fuzz/distortion pedals ever made. It has four controls: volume, sustain (gain), tone and blend, which blends the effect with the unaffected direct guitar signal. The Blender is actually an octave fuzz, with it being very slight and subdued in its normal setting. Stomping on the Tone Boost switch, however, will kick the octave effect up dramatically and the pedal can be difficult to control at that point (at high settings)! All in all, it's very, very easy to get a great sound out of this legendary pedal. In fact, the Fender Blender is also the best bass distortion pedal that I've ever heard. It doesn't cut any low end, if anything it adds it a lot of it. The Blend knob makes it easy to blend the sound with the direct bass, which makes it ideal for recording and live work. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal with a Diezel VH4S Halfstack and two Gibson Les Paul Customs. I have other guitars that I use with it too. Anyway, this pedal is one thick sounding pedal. It has more gain than a Big Muff, with MUCH more heft to the sound. Its a very loud pedal, and it will definetly punish your amp into oblivion on the higher settings. On the lower settings with a cleanish-sound, you can get some great clean octave effects that just scream vintage 60's tone. I'm not really into getting other people's tones, but with a Custom Shop '62 Reissue with Fralins into a '72 Marshall Superbass, I nailed Hendrix's fuzz tone with this pedal. It was amazing, and so crystal clear, unlike anything that I've ever heard in person before. I've played clones of these pedals before, and nothing even touches the sheer warmth, volume, heft and punch that this pedal provides. It sounds paticuarly good on slightly driven non-master volume amps, and is clearer with single coil guitars (but it kicks ass with Les Pauls). This is, without a doubt, my favorite fuzz pedal ever. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Being over 30 years old, the pedal is eventually going to need a recap and maybe a replacement switch or so to keep it working. It sounds awesome now, but those parts weren't meant to last forever. It eats batteries like no other pedal that I've used, too. I've had batteries last longer in Boss Bass Synthesizer pedals. I don't feel like I could really depend on it, but I love it so much and I can't afford another, so I don't know what I would do. Right now, I use my Zvex Octane III a lot, so it will have to serve as a backup if this one ever went down for the count. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different types of music, but right now I'm doing a lot of stoner-type rock like Monster Magnet, Melvins, Crowbar and some good ol' rock and roll like Motorhead. If it were stolen, I don't know what I'd do, they're extremely expensive now when you can find one that hasn't been tampered with or isn't doa. I love the punch, balls and verocity that this pedal exhibits, but hate the battery life (power supply with 9V eliminator sounds in order). If you ever get the chance to get one, do it. They aren't going to last to much longer, and it will be one of the best fuzz pedals that you'll ever get to play in your life. // 8

Blender Reviewed by: Cole419, on june 11, 2010

Price paid: € 125

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Well to start off this pedal isn't completely easy to get the sound you're looking for right away. Most of your time will be spent looking for that great sound that this pedal can provide. The manual wasn't very helpful other than telling me that I shouldn't put the pedal in water so I'd like to thank the people at Fender for that wonderful tip. The Blender I got was a 2007 reissue. // 5

Sound: When playing I'll use a combination of My Gibson Firebird, Gibson Les Paul, Fender Stratocaster (Dimarzio Pickups), and ESP Eclipse II (Seymour Duncan Pickups). As for amps I'll either use my JCM 800 reissue head or my 1967 Fender Bassman (Blackface) head. This pedal was meant for making noise on almost all settings. The fuzz tones you will get out of this thing are pretty good. On high settings it sounds as if Satan had f####d Hendrix's fuzzbox and the fuzzbox had a child (Yes... That's really what it sounds like), which makes it one of the best and most unique fuzz pedals on the market in my opinion. Nevertheless, if you're a diehard Sonic Youth/Big Black fan... You definitely have to check out this pedal. This thing is a must for any if not all noise rock enthusiasts. When I play through it I always leave the boost Switch on as it sounds rather dull without it. Take note that it is a very distinct effect and most people would probably only use it sparingly. Well, I love this thing to death it also happens to be one of my least used effects primarily because of the fact that it sounds horrible when playing chords (Horrible in a sort of good way). // 7

Reliability & Durability: It seems pretty reliable as far as I can tell. I've had it for about a year and I haven't had one single problem with it thus far even though I've dropped it on countless occasions. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Alternative Rock in the bands I'm in and Jazz in my free time and it suits some Alt. Rock. So I do find it very useful during certain songs for a noisy chaotic effect but again... I don't use it much compared to my other effects. I've been playing since 2002 and own a decent amount of other professional gear. If it were stolen I'd try and buy a new one since they take a bit of time and effort to find. I'd love to play this with a Uni-Vibe and check out the sound I would get, I wish Fender would of taken that extra step and combined this with a Tremolo effect. But other than that I do like this pedal and I believe it'll be a permanent part of my studio/live rig and effects. // 7

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Mustang V (V.2) 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 12/22/2014