Phaser Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 07/19/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Fender: Phaser
You can get a lot of different sounds from it: from real Vintage to modern rock/metal.
 Ease of Use: 7
 9.4
 8.8
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Phaser Reviewed by: marianoarnaiz, on july 19, 2010

Purchased from: Allegro

Ease of Use: Well, it's as easy as any 3 knob pedal (Rate, Intensity, Frequency)... the HUGE RATE! Rotary knob on top helps a lot to change the speed. It took me at least one hour to get the right sounds. A nice touch is that you can even use it like a expression phaser if you practice a bit. The only problem is actually that the the Intensity and Frequency knobs have so much rate that you can loose the effect and get slow reverb-ish phase, but I guess that's because the pedal is built to be use in any instrument. // 7

Sound: You can get a wide range of phasers here, from almost-not-there phaser to a flanging-phaser, all is there. If you run all the Intensity knob you will find jazz, fusion, rock and metal tones... I found very quick a "Brand new start - Alter Bridge" sound' LOVE IT. It can get a bit noisy particularly if you push the frequency knob to the highs but I can live with it and a bit edgy if you push the Frequency one to the top (just roll down a bit and problem solved). When is off is true bypass // 9

Reliability & Durability: Beer spilled on it, it felt from the stage once, kick by the lead singer of my band many times, step on the switch (I'm a fat guy)... it have taken a lot of S**T ...and still works. I have used it life many times always works. It's well built and is not a heavy as a cry baby, I like that. // 10

Overall Impression: You can get a lot of different sounds from it (from real Vintage to modern rock/metal) and it's much more suitable for cleans than my old MXR phaser 90. It takes distortion very nicely but it can get a bit noisy and edgy on the wrong settings (but I have found that some people like this edgy sound). It's well built and covers my phasers needs. // 9

More Fender reviews rating category latest review
+ Modern Player Jaguar Bass 9 Bass Guitars 09/15/2014