Clyde Standard Wah Review

manufacturer: Fulltone date: 06/22/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Fulltone: Clyde Standard Wah
The Fulltone "Clyde" was born from taking the best of the best of my more than 25 pc. vintage Vox wah collection, and analyzing every aspect, going so far as sacrificing a few of the vintage inductors to get it right.
 Ease of Use: 8
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Clyde Standard Wah Reviewed by: Bossman123, on june 22, 2007

Purchased from: Rudys

Ease of Use: It's a wah pedal so generally they're pretty straight forward to use, step down hard and you have your wah sound step down again and you don't. Simple. This particular pedal is quite tricky to get the hang of due to the large sweep. Other wahs have such a small sweep that the user doesn't need to control them too much but with the Fulltone if you rock it forward and back to much it'l produce a quacky sound that isn't too pleasing. For the first few weeks I didn't like the pedal until I got used to it. For this it does loose some points on ease of use. There is a small manual (1 page front and back) It is very useful as it tells you how to use the internal tone control, how to tighten or loosen the treadle and how to change the sensitivity of the on/off switch. // 8

Sound: The Fulltone clyde is always the first pedal on my board because I prefer it in front of the overdrives. I'm using an MIA strat into a Vox AC30CC2. When switched on the clyde adds a little noise to the signal but that's to be expected from any wah. It adds a little gain and volume but that's adjustable internally. It sounds absolutely great, much better than any crybaby I've ever used. The internal tone control is a very nice feature as it allows you to change the tone of the pedal to suit your preferance (I personally didn't like the setting that Mike Fuller sets them too). It has the best sweep I've ever come across and it's true bypass so really it's got everything a good wah pedal needs. The only thing that I think could be changed is the tone control could be on the outside making it easier to access (but I guess that's why you spend extra on the Deluxe model). // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can't imagine this pedal ever breaking down, it's built with the best components money can buy, it's in a hard, thick, steel shell, I would use this without a backup for every gig I play and wouldn't have to worry about it breaking down. Even if it does break down, from what I've heard the customer service is exceptional so there is really nothing to worry about here. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the first time I've bought any Fulltone product and I must say I was impressed, they are a company that really cares about it's customers and strives to make the best sounding pedals possible. I was impressed by the small detail that Mike Fuller has gone to with this pedal, it's those small things like the adjustable tension on the treadle and the fact that the backplate can be taken of without any tools (he seems to realise that not every guitarist brings screwdrivers to their gigs). It's hard to criticise this pedal, the only fault I found is the tone control not being on the outside. I play a lot of classic rock and funk and I find these to be the genres best suited to this pedal but it will do anything well except for maybe very high gain stuff. A great pedal, certainly the best I own! // 9

More Fulltone reviews rating category latest review
+ Full-Drive 2 Mosfet 9.6 Guitar Effects 12/23/2013