Full-Drive 2 Mosfet Review

9.5
 9.6
reviews (3) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Full-Drive 2 Mosfet Reviewed by: Even Bigger D, on april 30, 2010

Ease of Use: This pedal is designed to take a clean amp and turn it into a 2 channel medium gain amp with a volume/distortion boost. There are four knobs: Overdrive (gain), volume, tone and boost. The first three do what you would expect, and alter both the default and boost sounds. The boost knob determines how much volume and gain the boost adds. There are two foot switches: on/off and boost. No surprises there. There is also a mode switch, offering three modes: 'comp cut', 'flat mids' and 'vintage'. This pedal has a lot of options for an overdrive, but it's not hard or confusing to use. // 8

Sound: My setup is a variety of guitars into a CAE 3+SE into a Rivera TBR5 (aka Hammer 320). Each mode of this pedal has a different use: 'comp cut' is a clean boost. It sounds good, but since the pedal can only be in one mode at once, and I didn't buy it as a clean boost, I never use it. I might give it a try in the studio some time. 'flat mids' is the 'FM' in the pedal's name. This mode is somewhat similar to a tubescreamer in terms of gain and texture, but lacks the mid-hump found in tubescreamers and the old Fulldrive 1 pedal. This mode is billed as being transparent, and I guess it is in as far as any Overdrive pedal can be transparent. This is the mode I typically use. 'vintage' mode is like 'FM', but with added mids like a tubescreamer. It works great with Marshall style amps, but since I use a Fender-voiced preamp channel with this pedal I never use it. I know from experience it's very good for getting classic rock sounds out of a plexi-type amp. The boost function just gives you more of whatever mode you're set to. I never use it since I have the pedal rack mounted with a looper. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Fulltone makes tough pedals - good jacks, switches and pots, solid sheet metal enclosures. I've played many gigs with this pedal, and never had a problem. // 10

Overall Impression: Various pedals in the Fulldrive line have been a staple on the pedalboards of Nashville and LA session players ever since they came out. I own one because it's almost expected that you have one, and it sounds good, and it's not going to die on me. I use it in the context of a three channel rig (roughly set to blackface cleans, brown sound, over the top lead) to turn the clean channel in to a medium gain sound for blues, country, and classic rock. // 9

Full-Drive 2 Mosfet Reviewed by: david.peavy.712, on december 23, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Yes the very simple layout makes it hard to screw up. The tone control is wide enough to darken a bright sound or brighten a dark tone. It simply requires one to explore the different settings including the Boost side. That side has enough boost to suit most players, it certainly does me anyway. It's extremely easy & without presets (thank God) that ease of use leads to set & forget pedal which is always a welcome quality. An analogue man TS-9 in front or behind is truly a sweet singing blues sound. // 10

Sound: Vintage rock & dance cover band, personal taste from Hendrix to Eric Johnson. It works well with Fuchs OD 30, Budda 18 & Kendrick Gig Rig. It suits gigging & woodshedding as well. IMUO this is a pedal that stays on clean boost/tone thickener especially at low volumes. It is in "comp cut" toggle position & adds a LOT of harmonics clean & even more so with pedals or amp distortion. It just has that special sauce that appeals to many players I know. It is drop dead quiet & LIVES on my pedal board. It's my favorite pedal as it stays on! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The build is as good as they come & has been ridden hard & out up wet for about 100 gigs+! It has never failed me although occasionally the output jack will act up... Probably needs some tweaking as it had been seriously stomped on. It is heavy & has a huge footprint so allow a lot of real-estate. That real-estate has become very precious with all the awesome pedals the last 10 years or so! But it has never failed me for about 6 years of use. It is my favorite pedal if you can't tell & if that doesn't rate a 10 what does? // 10

Overall Impression: Beside gigging, I enjoy playing to backing tracks. Most of them range from soft jazz to blues to Toni Iommi. I am a Black Sabbath freak as I was a kid when "Paranoid" came out. This pedal is great for cascading gain stages by slamming an OCD with clean Fulldrive! It just adds that special harmonic overtones sauce like none of my other pedals do. (12 OD pedals). The Fuchs is the opposite of the Fender-esque' Kendrick but all guitars, from 53 tele my dad bought new to PRS HB2 they all sound like they should. I will never take this clean magic' pedal off the board & would replace quickly. // 10

More Fulltone reviews rating category latest review
+ Catalyst CT-1 8.3 Guitar Effects 07/18/2014