Full-Drive 2 Mosfet Review

Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Ease of Use: 9
reviews (4) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Full-Drive 2 Mosfet Reviewed by: Even Bigger D, on april 30, 2010

Ease of Use: This pedal is designed to take a clean amp and turn it into a 2 channel medium gain amp with a volume/distortion boost. There are four knobs: Overdrive (gain), volume, tone and boost. The first three do what you would expect, and alter both the default and boost sounds. The boost knob determines how much volume and gain the boost adds. There are two foot switches: on/off and boost. No surprises there. There is also a mode switch, offering three modes: 'comp cut', 'flat mids' and 'vintage'. This pedal has a lot of options for an overdrive, but it's not hard or confusing to use. // 8

Sound: My setup is a variety of guitars into a CAE 3+SE into a Rivera TBR5 (aka Hammer 320). Each mode of this pedal has a different use: 'comp cut' is a clean boost. It sounds good, but since the pedal can only be in one mode at once, and I didn't buy it as a clean boost, I never use it. I might give it a try in the studio some time. 'flat mids' is the 'FM' in the pedal's name. This mode is somewhat similar to a tubescreamer in terms of gain and texture, but lacks the mid-hump found in tubescreamers and the old Fulldrive 1 pedal. This mode is billed as being transparent, and I guess it is in as far as any Overdrive pedal can be transparent. This is the mode I typically use. 'vintage' mode is like 'FM', but with added mids like a tubescreamer. It works great with Marshall style amps, but since I use a Fender-voiced preamp channel with this pedal I never use it. I know from experience it's very good for getting classic rock sounds out of a plexi-type amp. The boost function just gives you more of whatever mode you're set to. I never use it since I have the pedal rack mounted with a looper. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Fulltone makes tough pedals - good jacks, switches and pots, solid sheet metal enclosures. I've played many gigs with this pedal, and never had a problem. // 10

Overall Impression: Various pedals in the Fulldrive line have been a staple on the pedalboards of Nashville and LA session players ever since they came out. I own one because it's almost expected that you have one, and it sounds good, and it's not going to die on me. I use it in the context of a three channel rig (roughly set to blackface cleans, brown sound, over the top lead) to turn the clean channel in to a medium gain sound for blues, country, and classic rock. // 9

Full-Drive 2 Mosfet Reviewed by: david.peavy.712, on december 23, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Yes the very simple layout makes it hard to screw up. The tone control is wide enough to darken a bright sound or brighten a dark tone. It simply requires one to explore the different settings including the Boost side. That side has enough boost to suit most players, it certainly does me anyway. It's extremely easy & without presets (thank God) that ease of use leads to set & forget pedal which is always a welcome quality. An analogue man TS-9 in front or behind is truly a sweet singing blues sound. // 10

Sound: Vintage rock & dance cover band, personal taste from Hendrix to Eric Johnson. It works well with Fuchs OD 30, Budda 18 & Kendrick Gig Rig. It suits gigging & woodshedding as well. IMUO this is a pedal that stays on clean boost/tone thickener especially at low volumes. It is in "comp cut" toggle position & adds a LOT of harmonics clean & even more so with pedals or amp distortion. It just has that special sauce that appeals to many players I know. It is drop dead quiet & LIVES on my pedal board. It's my favorite pedal as it stays on! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The build is as good as they come & has been ridden hard & out up wet for about 100 gigs+! It has never failed me although occasionally the output jack will act up... Probably needs some tweaking as it had been seriously stomped on. It is heavy & has a huge footprint so allow a lot of real-estate. That real-estate has become very precious with all the awesome pedals the last 10 years or so! But it has never failed me for about 6 years of use. It is my favorite pedal if you can't tell & if that doesn't rate a 10 what does? // 10

Overall Impression: Beside gigging, I enjoy playing to backing tracks. Most of them range from soft jazz to blues to Toni Iommi. I am a Black Sabbath freak as I was a kid when "Paranoid" came out. This pedal is great for cascading gain stages by slamming an OCD with clean Fulldrive! It just adds that special harmonic overtones sauce like none of my other pedals do. (12 OD pedals). The Fuchs is the opposite of the Fender-esque' Kendrick but all guitars, from 53 tele my dad bought new to PRS HB2 they all sound like they should. I will never take this clean magic' pedal off the board & would replace quickly. // 10

Full-Drive 2 Mosfet Reviewed by: trashedlostfdup, on october 22, 2015

Purchased from: reverb dot com

Ease of Use: It is very easy to use, my main gripe with it is that the different selections on the "comp cut, FM, and vintage" modes can have a different volume. The Comp-Cut is the biggest offender. As far as getting a good tone out of it, I don't think you could get a bad tone out of it if you have common sense. The only thing that I think it could confuse somebody is if they don't know what the comp-cut, FM, and vintage are. You don't need anything technical, but check the manual and you will know what they do. // 9

Sound: This is another great product from Fulltone added to my pedalboard. The Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet is a very simple pedal with a lot of different options and great sound. There are three selections for the overdrive flavor, a clean boost, a flat mids boost, and also a more boosted mids tubescreamer-esque tone. You can also select mosfet or normal on another switch. The Fulldrive 2 has a broad voicing, so it works on everything from my Teles to Les Pauls. As far as gain levels, it will get you to a crunch, then you turn the boost on and it liquefies a bit more. it would work well with a clean amp to have the pedal acting as an OD, and the boost for leads. I sometimes do that as an alternative texture with my Rockerverb. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have owned several Fulltone products in the last years, and one thing that was a common thread in all of them was their bulletproof construction. Solid switches, pots, closure, etc. I have never had to do work on anything Fulltone, I have had to touch up and repair a few other pedals in the past. I would feel fine using it without a backup, however I run multiple OD's so another would pick up the slack. there is no reason why it should fail and wouldn't worry about that. The finish on the pedal and the screen printing are clear and not going anywhere. // 9

Overall Impression: I use this for bluesy leads on Orange Dual Terror or Orange Rockerverb. It works quite well for the edgy breakup that can get a little more searing when the boost is engaged. With the Dual Terror, I am running the volume all the way and using the gain as a master, this pedal works wonders in that situation. I mostly use Gibsons and USA Fenders. As far as using the pedal to boost an amp, I really like it with my Mesa Trem-O-Verb. For boosting, I have had the most luck with the comp-cut mode, however if I am using as a standalone OD, I use the vintage mode. // 8

More Fulltone reviews rating category latest review
+ Catalyst CT-1 8.3 Guitar Effects 07/18/2014