OCD V3 Review

9.5
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
OCD V3 Reviewed by: RicardoB, on may 20, 2008

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: I purchased the Version 3 Four months ago. Cool blue LED, HP/LP mini-Switch, can be operated with 9 or 18v power supply or battery. True Bypass, Three knobs: Volume, Drive and Tone. In terms of getting a good sound out of it, it's pretty easy as it has a variety of useful tones, from light crunch to Overdriven meltdown. it's also a very "transparent" pedal in that you guitar's natural tone will still come through, and not all guitars will end up sounding the same just because you're using the OCD. // 9

Sound: I've used this through my Orange Tiny Terror with both the Orange 1X12 and a Marshall 4X12. The guitars I've tested it out with are my Les Paul, my Ibanez 170 and a Standard Strat. Like I said above, you can tell which guitar you're using with it, ie. a strat still sounds like a strat, and turning the guitar volume down, you can clean the effect up quite a bit. It's useful for me since the Tiny Terror is a single channel amp, I can click it on and use it as my overdriven channel. It can get quite noisy if you crank both Volume and Drive but that's to be expected. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pedal shape is standard, and the outer housing is metal so it should last. Since the pedal is quite expensive, your most likely not going to have one sitting around for backup. I wouldn't be worried about it malfunctioning, but always have extra batteries around even if you're using a power supply. Since OD is most likely one of your key effects, you wouldn't want to be left with nothing to dirty up your sound. Anyway no problems yet, but I've heard Fulltone can be tough to get an answer from as they're quite busy nowadays. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all sorts of tunes metal, classic rock, bluesy-type stuff. For classic rock and blues, I don't think it has an equal in terms of OD pedals. For metal, I'd say it's too warm for most metal stuff but give it a shot, you could be surprised. Another positive I found after buying it was that it could be used as a boost pedal/attenuator in that you can get some nice OD from your amp at lower volumes even with the OCD set at lower gain. I'd definetly replace it if it was stolen as, in my opinion, it is the best OD pedal on the market. I was considering getting a Tubescreamer or the Jekyll and Hyde, but I liked the sound of this pedal better, and to be honest if we all had a TS, that wouldn't be very interesting would it? This is a more transparent pedal than any OD I've ever heard without skimping on the Drive when you really want it. Of course it could be cheaper, but you do get what you pay for and I've very rarely heard anyone complain about what the get from the OCD. Since there is no 9.5 I will have to give it a. // 10

More Fulltone reviews rating category latest review
+ Full-Drive 2 Mosfet 9.6 Guitar Effects 12/23/2013