Ultimate Octave Review

manufacturer: Fulltone date: 02/18/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Fulltone: Ultimate Octave
It's not very hard to use. It is one of those pedals that could take a day to find that sweet spot, and then some. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to set compared to some of the other heavy fuzz pedals, like the Fuzz Factory and Fender Blender.
 Ease of Use: 8
 9.4
 9.3
 9.4
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Ultimate Octave Reviewed by: leondb, on february 18, 2009

Purchased from: Dan's Guitars

Ease of Use: It's not very hard to use. It is one of those pedals that could take a day to find that sweet spot, and then some. I rated it an 8 here just because it isn't a one trick pony... it isn't instant plug and play. I spent most of yesterday testing and re-testing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to set compared to some of the other heavy fuzz pedals, like the Fuzz Factory and Fender Blender. Though I really liked those pedals when I tested them, I just found adjusting them too much of a hassle. I like the wide placement of the pot knobs on this pedal, which can be adjusted by foot. // 8

Sound: It's noisy, but it's a fuzz pedal and it does what it's supposed to do. What I like is how noisy it is not when the pedal is off... Gotta love true bypass! I really liked the heavy sound I can get out of it. I prefer the Fat setting, but I admit the Bright setting is useful too. The Fat sounds thick and meaty. It's more of the tone I was looking for. On the other, the Bright sounds like a scooped fuzzy distortion. What really wets the whistle is the second footswitch. The Octave Up is simply put, wonderful. It hits those ups clearest on the neck pickup, around the 12-up fret range, but it can be found anywhere with a little 'pinch'. Not only is the pedal versatile, but it sounds awesome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is the size of two stompboxes, is heavy, and is built like a tank. Though I don't think I would need a backup, I am considering a couple more fuzz pedals just because I like fuzz. This thing is definitely on the pedal board though! The Fat/Bright switch may be the only worry. I would have liked a bigger switch there. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, and a little bit of the 70's-now music. I find this pedal fits perfect for some of our covers, like Cool Magnet(Local H). I'll even start using this for Breed(Nirvana) and Keep Away(Godsmack)just because. The Up setting is perfect for Hendrix solos! I am impressed with the quality of this pedal, and it's versatility. Not only would I buy another if it fell off 24 floors or it struck by lightning, I am definitely testing out Michael Fuller's other pedals as well. // 10

More Fulltone reviews rating category latest review
+ Catalyst CT-1 8.3 Guitar Effects 07/18/2014