Brownie Classic Review

manufacturer: GFS date: 03/15/2013 category: Guitar Effects
GFS: Brownie Classic
For classic rock and even blues this makes a good pedal. This pedal does exactly what they said it would do. It's a great Marshall-in-a-Box.
 Ease of Use: 8
 8.1
 8.3
 7.8
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Brownie Classic Reviewed by: lespaul#1, on march 15, 2013

Purchased from: Guitarfetish.com

Ease of Use: This stompbox is extremely simple. It has three knobs and a tone switch. There is a volume, a tone, and a gain knob. The tone switch shifts between three different Marshall amp tones: open, power and compressed. You have to unscrew the entire back of the pedal to put in a battery. This is a pain, but I use an adapter so I will live. For anyone using batteries, however, this could be a hassle. So it loses points for that, but it gets a good score overall for pure simplicity. The manual that comes with it provides information and gives good settings to use. // 8

Sound: I use it mainly with my Agile AL-2000 and my Deluxe Reverb. A Les Paul and a "Marshall" make quite a rock dream team. While I play blues as well, I bought this pedal mainly to play classic rock. The power setting, which is my favorite, gives a Plexus sound. With little drive, it sounds very clean and there are lots of mids. Turning up the Overdrive gives a strong classic rock tone. It is spot on. Think Bad Company and AC/DC. The Open setting gives a Plexi tone, but with more punch. Think of Black Sabbath. The Compressed setting makes an awesome lead for rock and early metal. It is supposed to be a JCM800. This setting is good for Judas Priest and even Metallica. Overall, this pedal has high Overdrive range. It goes from clean boost to heavy gain, but it can be slightly muddy at high gain. I have never played an Overdrive that can get this much gain. It is amazing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have only had it for about two and a half months but it has given me no problems at all. I would trust it no doubts at all. This pedal is built in a solid steel enclosure with "heavy-duty circuitry". So I assume it is pretty rugged but I won't be dropping it off any surfaces to test that. I have heard nothing but positive things about the newer GFS pedals across The Internet so I assume that others' also proved to be reliable. However, only time will tell whether this pedal is durable. But three months without a problem ain't has. // 9

Overall Impression: For classic rock and even blues this makes a good pedal. This is one of six dirt pedals I own and it is the best Overdrive I have for high gain. This pedal does exactly what they said it would do. It's a great Marshall-in-a-Box. I would not mind buying another one. However, if one has ~200, I might recommend a Sampler Plextortion. But for $50 you cannot beat this pedal. Its better for classic rock than my Blues Driver, but not blues (fancy that). I only wish it was as transparent as my TS-808. But it is definitely a good choice for the genres I stated. Video from YouTube:

// 8

More GFS reviews rating category latest review
+ Premium II Alnico II Hand-Bevelled Strat Set 4.7 Pickups 05/03/2013