Medicine Bawl Review

manufacturer: Homebrew Electronics date: 07/28/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Homebrew Electronics: Medicine Bawl
The Homebrew Electronics Medicine Bawl is a vintage styled wah with modern features.
 Ease of Use: 9
 9.2
 9.8
 8.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Medicine Bawl Reviewed by: JustinYap, on july 28, 2008

Price paid: A$ 330

Purchased from: Eastgate Music

Ease of Use: It's a wah wah pedal that's very easy to use. However, it has two trim pots on the circuit board that you can use to adjust the gain and sweep of the wah, which will take quite a while if you want to experiment. The manual is simply this small card telling you all the basics and where the trim pots are; it's also available online from their website. Overall it's a basic pedal once you get used to it. // 9

Sound: I've got a customised strat, and I usually run it through this big Behringer virtube thing, or occasionally, a Fender Twin Reverb. I use an Ibanez TS-9 with this, and it sounds amazing. Another cool thing is that at times, it can pick up radio frequencies through the amp, but it's nothing you'll notice when you're playing. This wah can sound like the Jimi Hendrix, Band of Gypsys sorta wah; to Eric Clapton's wah; and even (though I would never really use it) potentially Zakk Wylde-type wah. It also has true-bypass, so it does not suck tone out of your rig. But to really release the full potential of this pedal, you have to experiment. You also get a choice between the yellow (Vintage) fasel and a red (modern) fasel. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's hand-built in the USA, and aside from a little bit of squeaking when you rock the pedal (which can easily be fixed), it's perfect. I'd definitely use it on a gig without a backup, I use a 9V battery for it, so aside from extra batteries, there's nothing to worry about. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of Blues, Funk, and old-school rock; and because of the trim pots, it can do that and a lot more. I've been playing for about 4 years, and I've tried the Vox and Crybaby, and this definitely wins in tone and style, as it has a beautiful shiny metal casing. And if it were lost or stolen, I'd definitely get another one, though I'd have to save up again. Overall a very sturdy and quality-sounding wah wah pedal. // 10

Comments