Warp Factor Review

manufacturer: Hughes And Kettner date: 04/09/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Hughes And Kettner: Warp Factor
The Warp Factor's special circuitry generates the kind of fierce distortion and dark, heavy chunk that powers modern metal styles. Simply insert it between your guitar and your amp's clean channel, drop your axe's tuning, and stand back 'cause a mammoth metal sound is about to bowl you over!
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Ease of Use: 7.5
 8.4
 7.9
 8.9
reviews (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Warp Factor Reviewed by: Donkey Fly, on april 09, 2007

Ease of Use: Just like any pedal, it's just a case of messing around with it to get your own unique sound. As soon as I turned it on it sounded pretty good with everything on full (apart from level of course). There are three knobs: warp, level, gain. The warp is like a contour/scoop setting. The higher it is the more of a high gain sound you get. There is also a sub-switch which lets you boost the bottom end of your sound, shouldn't be used on smaller combo amps. The thing this does lack on the knobs is makers so you know where your going but that doesn't really matter to me. It comes with a decent manual that tells you all you need to know. // 9

Sound: Here's my setup; Ibanez DT-200->Morley Power Wah->Boss MT-2->H&K Warp Factor->Marshall MG100DFX. It isn't too noisy, I wouldn't say it's as noisy as my Boss MT-2. There is a little bit of noise though but nothing a cheap noise gate couldn't fix but to be honest at Live gig volumes it isn't really noticable. The higher the gain you have the noisier it will be. The distortion is generally good but only for heavy metal. it is more of a nu-metal pedal which I don't really like. I play Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne (Rhoads era), Yngwie Malmsteen, Van Halen and I use this pedal purely for rhythm purposes (Boss for lead). It does me good but I really prefer the gain off my amp for my rhythm, simply because my sound is more classic metal and rock. If you play nu-metal though this pedal is what your looking for. You can even get a Trivium kind of sound out of this. So based on the sound and not my preferences it's a top notch pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is solid metal so it is definately reliable. Of course the switch could go but that's the same on all pedals. The only thing with this pedal is that you need an Av adapator (supplied) at 12v I think it is so the place your gigging or playing would need some spare plug sockets open for it but that's likely. // 9

Overall Impression: If it was stolen I wouldn't get another because it doesn't suit me. I got it cause it was cheap off eBay, and it was worth the money I paid for it. I wish it could run on a battery. That's all this pedal really lacks. It's a bit of a pain in the ass that it needs an av adpater and that it isnt a 9v one like most other pedals, but lifes a bitch sometimes. // 9

Warp Factor Reviewed by: Simon Acreman, on september 05, 2005

Ease of Use: The Warp Factor distortion pedal comes with three knobs; gain, warp, and level. Gain is obviously the amount of distortion. Warp is a tone knob that boosts mid-tones of your choice. Level is the level of output. So far, simple enough. There is also a sub button which boosts bass end, although it is not suitable for smaller amps. It's very easy to plug in and go. Input, output and power are the only sockets to worry about. From there you need do nothing but play. Most people, however would try to find a great sound and stick to it; this can be arkward as there are no marking on the knobs. The manual states the obvious and tells you what everything does, which isn't hard to work out. // 6

Sound: Using a BC Rich ASM (The Deceiver) and a 10watt Marshall, it will produce the heaviest tones your ears are likely to hear. It is perfect for heavy, hard-hitting metal but it takes a bit of fiddling to get softer distortion. Any Slipknot fan will adore this pedal, without a doubt (although they would use a BC Rich Warlock to get closer to their sound). // 8

Reliability & Durability: A good hard-wearing pedal that will happily take the beating of a stage performance. It is reliable, but it is sometimes tempramental and needs several stomps to change channels (dist & clean). // 6

More Hughes And Kettner reviews rating category latest review