AD9 Analog Delay Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 10/06/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Ibanez: AD9 Analog Delay
The AD9 Analog Delay uses a compander with pre- and de-emphasis for an exceptionally clean delay. The quality and features of the AD9 Analog Delay make it the professional?s choice.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.7
 Ease of Use: 7
 6.6
 5.3
reviews (3) 18 comments vote for this gear:
AD9 Analog Delay Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 07, 2006

Purchased from: Nova Glazbala - Croatia

Ease of Use: Three knobs: time, repeat, level. Dead easy. Battery has a latch, not a screw, so it is easily replaced. Mono or stereo output. Delay time must be fitted by ear, no tap tempo, this is the simple delay/echo unit. // 9

Sound: Setup: G&L ASAT Special Tribute guitar with large singlecoils -> Marshall JackHammer JH-1 O/D -> Boss BF-3 Flanger -> Ibanez AD9 Delay -> Edirol UA 25 soundcard -> PC with two JCM900 emulations (stereo). Not noisy at all, and always sounds lush, not sharp. Only 300ms of delay limits the sound to slap-back, echo or reverbish, but boy does it sound good! If you tweak the unit, I hear you can get 500ms, haven't tried it. When you tweak the time knob it gives this classic wierd feedback of an analog unit. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Really feels sturdy and gives you confidence. Stomp is responsive, yet hard, so I feel it can go the distance. No backup needed. // 10

Overall Impression: I play creative music with mixture of clean and overdriven sounds(Faith No More, Tool), but also more of a classic rock sound(Cult, Dave Navaro). This sounds great on clean sounds and on distrosions, and yes, I can hear the difference compared to digital Boss DD-3 for example. But it is quite expensive, I could get two Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo units for this price, and have a lot of room to experiment. But somehow, I feel it will pay off in my mixes. // 9

AD9 Analog Delay Reviewed by: TjerG, on april 24, 2009

Price paid: € 125

Purchased from: soundservice Bob de Jong

Ease of Use: I bought it with 40% of the price off, so this was a really good deal since the real price was 210. The pedal is very easy to use, I can easily get a good sound from it. It has three knobs: one for the speed, one for the amount of repeats and one for the level of delay. I got a manual with it, which says what all the knobs and ins and outputs do, and that's all I need. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal in combination with an Epiphone SG, a Behringer combo amp, three other pedals and a Boss ME-50. If I only use the delay pedal, there's no noise at all, when overdrived, there is some noise. When I use the pedal over my clean sound, the effect is very nice. But when I use one of my Overdrive pedals with it, the delay becomes a bit weakened, but you can still hear the effect. I use this delay when I play covers of Audioslave and when I play some solos. The delay sounds very close to Tom Morello's clean sound with delay. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I use my pedal with a soundlab pedal power, so I haven't got the problem of empty batteries. I can really depend on it, it never fails and the sound is always the same quality. I would use this pedal at a gig without a backup. Not because I don't have a backup, but I can really depend on it. If you'd drop it, it will still work. There may be some scratches but that will be all. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of rock and some metal. It suit's my sound very well for my solos and some riffs I play. I have been playing the guitar for about four years now. I own a Dunlop crybaby, a DigiTech Grunge, an MXR GT-OD and a Boss ME-50. If this pedal were stolen /lost, I would buy another delay pedal, because this one would be very expensive if I would buy it again.(this one was with 40% off) I love the sound of this delay when I play clean. It is a bit softer when I use my Overdrive or distortion. I didn't compare it to other products, but I loved this one when I tried it out in the guitar store. There's nothing that I wished it had. // 8

AD9 Analog Delay Reviewed by: chris flatley, on october 06, 2009

Ease of Use: Standard stomp box with a footswitchable on/off switch and 3 knobs which, even if you can't read, are easy to work out. Though you could argue that it's difficult to get what you're looking for because of the very narrow parameters, hence my below average rating. // 4

Sound: This thing sounds awful. The returned signal contains none of the qualities of the one which was sent. You play a silky-sounding, clean-toned note, and what you hear being spat back at you, is a distorted, corroded noise with a rancid cherry of a high-frequency squeak on top for good measure. The manufacturers must have hoped that most users would be combining this with a bank of other signal-draining stomp boxes including fizzy distortion, and so wouldn't notice the fact that the only thing that the returned sound has in common with the sent one, is pitch. // 1

Reliability & Durability: It seems solidly-built, as you'd expect from something that's going to spend it's life being stamped on. But I didn't need to own this thing for 5 years to know it sounded crap, and so I can't comment on it's reliability because I returned it to the bowels of hell after a day. // 1

Overall Impression: They say that for every negative experience there is an equal and often unknowable positive. If I had kept this piece of junk, and in a couple of years time someone had stolen it, the part of me that can appreciate the unknowable might have added the thief to my Christmas card list. If it cost 19.99, I'd say you get what you pay for, but it's relatively expensive for a pedal effect. I was disgusted with the poor quality of this piece of junk. // 1

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014