DFL Digital Flanger Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 09/08/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Ibanez: DFL Digital Flanger
The Ibanez DFL is the first flanger to use digital processing. The exclusive IDPC (Ibanez Digital Processing Conversion) system permits wideband, brighter flanging effects previously available only with rackmount digital processors.The DFL also features an extra wide 8:1 sweep ratio for deeper, wide-ranging flanging effects.
 Ease of Use: 7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
DFL Digital Flanger Reviewed by: _timbo_, on september 08, 2008

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Well this pedal is a little tricky to get that desired sound you here in your head. I bought this pedal purely because I'm a Tom Morello fan, so you can easily dial in Tom's signature flanging sound. However in saying this, you can get a variety of other flanging sounds out of it if you know what your doing. The pedal has 5 knobs, speed, width, delay mode, delay time and regen, plenty to tweak. // 7

Sound: My setup is a Charvel into various FX into my Marshall Master Lead 30w Combo (poor mans JCM800, read reviews though, very good amp). This amp doesn't have a FX loop so I have to run my pedals into the amps input, still nails RATM tones though. The effect itself isn't noisy at all. The only time it has generated squeals and popping is when I was running it on a battery. This pedal chews through batteries, I highly recommend running it on an adapter as it has a VERY HIGH current draw. The sound of this pedal is superb. It sounds like no other flanger I have heard or owned (I also have a MIJ Boss BF2). Being digital it has a clean, crisp almost icy sound to it but this is what makes the DFL so great. You can get some great sounds out of it especially when you fiddle with the delay mode and time. Sounds great with clean or distorted tone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well I wouldn't gig with this pedal due to the rarity of it. it's more of a collectors or studio item in my opinion. As with the Ibanez master and 10 series the switches are a bit temperamental. Mine has played a couple of times but only when I first plug it in. Same style of switching as a Boss pedal but Ibanez didn't seem to quite hit it on the head as Boss did. It has PCB mounted jacks so take when plugging and unplugging these types of pedals. // 7

Overall Impression: This isn't a perfect review, however this is a perfect pedal. It's just the way it was made lets it down. The sound of it makes up for all it's imperfections. If you ever see one for sale I highly recommend buying it or at least testing it out. It is Diamond in the rough, a true gem of the 80's digital pedals. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014