Jemini Distortion Review

7.3
reviews (2) pictures (3) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Jemini Distortion Reviewed by: H_ngm_n, on november 13, 2008

Purchased from: Sweetwater

Ease of Use: The signature Steve Vai distortion pedal. It's basically two seperate distortion pedals in one housing. Three knobs per unit - Drive, Tone, Level. The knobs are responsive and it's easy to dial in that sound that you want. The LED lights around the knobs are bright which makes it easy to see. I love using it on my pedal board because they actually light all the other pedals up too. // 10

Sound: Well this is where it comes to life. I believe this is supposed to be a Keeley DS-1 and a TS9 in a single casing. I basically unplugged by TS808 after messing with this baby. Oh my lord does it scream! The red channel just absolutely packs a punch and sounds awesome for shred/legato. Perfect sustain and mids with just a touch of bass and it's like melting glass. The green channel is great too. It sounds really nice for more rhythym tones. I nice little fuzz with a boomy bottom end and you have a very spacey but still reasonable tone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's HEAVY! IT weighs almost 5 pounds! Built like a freaking tank! After almost a week of constant play no problem at all yet. I would say it uses batteries quite quickly but I have a powered board and don't use them. I shook it once to see if I could hear anything rattle inside and got nothing. It seems very well put together. It is very big though. Almost twice as large as my Holy Grail reverb pedal which is one of the biggest pedals I've ever seen. // 10

Overall Impression: A very awesome high-end pedal. Perfect for anyone Who has heard Steve Vai and wants to have that warm but responsive tone. Great features, easy to use and built very solid. I'm really happy with this pedal and I'm sure it will stay with me for some time to come. // 10

Jemini Distortion Reviewed by: guilherme87, on september 06, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This pedal is definately the most useful pedal on my board. It is very easy to get aa good sound out of it. Although you might need to EQ your amp and tweak it to get the sound your looking for. But the two channels on this thing make it so useful and versitile. Youve got your cleans, overdriven, and distortion all in one!. The manual (although mine didn't come with it, but my friend has his) is very simple and gives steve vai's setting. Wich I disregarded because its not about someone elses sound its about finding YOUR sound. I don't know the firmware revision number and my unit has not been upgraded. // 10

Sound: I use it with a Fender American Deluxe Strat with a DiMarzio Tone Zone S in the bridge through a Randall half stack. It absolutely bumps! The only noise issue I have is if your using a high output pickup and crank the distortion to max and are playing through high volumes it can give a loud hum which cased me to have to back off the gain a little. I could easily dial in some of my favorite artist's tones such as Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith and Cream with the green channel and Iron Maiden, Steve Vai, Slash, and SORTVE Pantera with the red channel. My favorite channel is the red channel. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used it for several shows without any backups and it has not failed me yet. I suggest getting an AC adapter as I did so that you don't have to worry about it shorting out during the middle of a set. I can't say much about the battery life seeing as how I have the AC adapter. But it does have housing for an extra 9v and it is built like a tank so I highly suggest this pedal to anyone looking to get a variety of sounds in one compact pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: I like to play hard rock to some metal but for the most part I'm playing in My up and coming pop rock band. This pedal really can handle the old school blues on the green channel as well as some classic rock to the high gain Hair metal and some aggressive stuff from Iron Maiden to *some* Pantera. If your looking for an all out Death Metal sound don't get this pedal but if you want a good variety from blues too metal then go for it! I've been playing about 3 years and I've owned a DigiTech Whammy pedal, an Ibanez Wheeping Demon, an MXR Badass 79' Distortion, and an MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive pedal. If this pedal were stolen I'd file aa police report and hope to get it back while getting ready to buy either another one or a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. I love the unique finish on it, I love the versatility, I love the bright lights to let you know which channel your on, and I love how its two in one. I don't like how big the pedal is. I think two separate pedals with a small patch cable could potentially take up less room. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014