SD9 Sonic Distortion Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 08/14/2006 category: Guitar Effects
Ibanez: SD9 Sonic Distortion
It has just three knobs (distotion, tone, level). Easy to operate, changing the battery is really easy and simple (or you can use an AC adapter).
 Ease of Use: 10
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
SD9 Sonic Distortion Reviewed by: Just_for_you, on august 14, 2006

Ease of Use: It has just three knobs (distotion, tone, level). I found it very easy to get a great sound out of it. Easy to operate, changing the battery is really easy and simple (or you can use an AC adapter). It even has operating instructions on the bottom of the pedal, and is just overall very easy to use. // 10

Sound: I use a Marshall JCM 800 Lead Series amp, and an Ibanez X-Series Destroyer. I also use a Takamine GX200. The pedal almost never has any feedback and very rarely creates unwanted noise. The distortion always sounds great, even if the battery is dying. It doesnt't really give a sound like any other current bands, but I don't know of any that use this particular effect. It has a unique kind of distortion, it's not too heavy, but definitely not a sissy-distortion pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is one of the most reliable pedals I have ever had. The battery usually lasts an extremely long time. I just recently got an AC adapter for it, but it really isn't essential. This thing is built like a rock. You could probably drop it off a building and it would work like nothing ever happened. The paint gets a little chipped, but only when something serious happens to it. My dad originally bought this about 15-20 years ago, and it works like it's brand new. I don't know of any pedals or effects that are this durable or reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this pedal. If I lost this, I would definitely buy another one (although they are very hard to find these days). I play pretty much everything from blues to rock to metal. This pedal is definitely best suited for rock/hard rock, but not so much metal. I just doesn't give you that metal kind of tone that some people want. I also own a Line 6 CrunchTone, and an Ibanez Digital Stereo Chorus and I have a Rocktron Silver Dragon on its way and should arrive tomorrow. I have played with some of my friends' distortion pedals, and although this is not a very good metal pedal, it is great for rock. I would recommend this to just about anyone who plays rock. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014