SM7 Smash Box Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/07/2005 category: Guitar Effects
Ibanez: SM7 Smash Box
The Smash Box is the most aggressive weapon in the Tone-Lok distortion arsenal. Armed with obscene amounts of gain, tight low end, and searing highs, the Smash Box is the heavy rock sound for the contemporary guitarist.
 Ease of Use: 8.7
reviews (11) pictures (2) 22 comments vote for this gear:
SM7 Smash Box Reviewed by: mesaboogieman, on june 07, 2005

Ease of Use: Great pedal, great sound. Very easy to use, although can be a bit difficult to tweak it to your perfect sound. It has, drive knob, lo and hi equalizer knobs to get treble/bass sounds and ba; ance the whole thing out, and a level/volume knob. There are also two switches, a void control, which cuts out all the backround noise, and also increases the palm muting technique, great for Pantera/Metallica/Slayer etc etc. There is also a smooth/sharp switch, pretty self explanatory. Sharp is a grinding, driving distortion good for a lead solo that you want to make stand out, only problem is you have to kneel down mid-song a switch it from the smooth. The smooth is the setting I use mostly, I do not use the voids as they take too long to cut out the noise. // 8

Sound: I use and Epiphone les Paul with a Marshall 80w Valvestate, the only other effect I use is a Crybaby wah pedal. I wouldn't recommend using the "sharp" effect when playing loud, you get an extremely uncomfortable squealing sounds, I replace my 3 leads once a month, its either the pedal or my setup. Equalizers can be tricky, I always use 8-10(max) bass and fiddle around with the treble until it sounds right. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built like a brick, pure metal, literally. I've dropped this down my stairs while carrying my guitar and amp at least twice, solid as a rock it is. I dont gig much as I only have half a band, but if I did, I wouldn't take a backup, just bring some batteries as it drains easily! // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Slayer, Venom, Motorhead and Sabbath. You can get all these sounds on the smooth setting with drive half way up. I've been playing 4 years this summer, I own an Ibanez Flanger/Chorus (Tonelock, same range as the Smash Box) and Crybaby wah pedal. If this pedal was stolen, I wouldn't buy it again, I think I would go for a Boss Metal Zone, as I played this after I bought the Smash Box and enjoy its range alot more. My favourite feature of this pedal I htink has to be the fact you can get so many ranges of sounds, AC/DC, not too heavy stuff, quite treble, then crank the drive and the bass equalizers up and youve got Cowboys From Hell! I just wish it wouldnt drain the battery so quick, I've even started diconnecting the battery altogether when not using it! My overall impression: try out different pedals first, I never played this before I bought it because it was a gift, I would recommend this, or the Boss Metal Zone, the only other pedal I can compare this to is The Black Paisley Liquid Metal Pedal. // 8

SM7 Smash Box Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 25, 2003

Ease of Use: It's the easiest thing to use. Crank up the distortion and level to get a really good, heay sound. It has a void setting so you can filter out all the un-wanted hissing noises. It also has a sharpness switch but that doesn't make much difference. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with a Westfeild les paul through a 35w Cruiser amp. You can get a hiss but it sounds better with the void on medium setting. The distortion is great for a metal/heavy rock sound. It has a self discovered cut off switch (distort thru amp, hit pedal with level on 0 and it will cut off). It's a great sounding piece of kit. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's made of solid aluminium and has push in switches. It's a very durable pedal. It's also quite small so it doesn't get in the way. I'm having trouble with cables coz my room is 13' by 16' and I'm using two 20 ft cables. :$ // 8

Overall Impression: I play Heavy Rock/Metal (e.g Metallica, AC/DC etc) so it's a perfect match, it's got a chunky,Heavy sound. I've been playing nearly 12 months and this is the first pedal I've had but it's so easy to use it's like I've had it for years. If I needed to replace it I'd probably go for something more expensive for a few more effects/more distortion :p. I think that it's only lacking one thing as a pedal for the sort of music I play, an octave drop switch so I don't have to tune the basturd down every 2 minutes. Overall, if you're on at relatively toght budget, this is the way to go, after all, Ibanez IS one of the best available. // 10

SM7 Smash Box Reviewed by: Emenius Sleepus, on september 20, 2004

Ease of Use: Good sound just emanates from this stompbox, easy to use, even a baby can do it, there's a manual with basic instructions that are well written, and contains several sound settings. Plenty of features, including a basic bass and treble EQ, level and gain, a switch for the included noise gate and sharp or smooth edge. // 10

Sound: My signal chain as follows: guitar-TS7 tubescreamer, a wah pedal, SH7 smashbox - amp (set on clean). Sound very aggressive, maybe not the sound of the Boss Metalzone, but a lot more affordable, and sertainly versatile enough. Accentuates treble and bass frequencies, so however much mid you get depends on your amp. Good distortion, more towards the distorted sounds of the Cure, good for metal. including shred. In conjunction with tubescreamer you get very good lead tone that is quite smooth. A bit of noise when turned on and you're not playing, but that's not really a hindrance. Can't say it's good for emulating the sounds of a lot of different artists, but it's very likely you can get close, just experiment with the eq of amp/pedal, gain settings and sharp/smooth edge switch. Nice, healthy sound overall. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Assuming you have plenty of 9v batteries, there should be no hassles at all with this pedal, its simplicity and ruggedness look to that. Speaking of batteries, it holds its charge for quite a while, even with frequent use. Well, relatively speaking anyway. So the spare batteries are just a security measure, never know what's gonna happen. Can't afford a backup, but I would fully trust playing a gig without one. // 10

Overall Impression: Ok, personally I would never have thought that I would be reviewing a distortion stompbox, lol, as I've always been an advocate of trying to find a good distortion tone with your amplifier first. However, since my footwswitch broke and I was stuck on one channel, I decided to try one out. I must say, this stompbox, aside from being fairly cheap, which was one of the major factors in the purchase, delivers a good sound as well, with features that ensure you get the bang-for-your-buck. It's durable and reliable, and it's a good match for my music, as I was looking for a heavier style of distortion than my amp could give, and also the ability to deliver that same sound at louder volumes, since at our band's first show my amp sounded like a metallica turned full-on on small speakers. crap in other words, but then again, it's only a 40-w single speaker. And this is another reason why I like this pedal, - it holds up to the volume without killing the speaker. I'd buy it again if something happened, Ibanez stuff is good for a relatively low price, so yeah otherwise I'd see if DigiTech or Boss Metalzone were available, but they are a lot more expensive, so that's a matter of budget. And since most of my stuff is Ibanez anyway, I figure you get the best sound out of an Ibanez guitar thru an Ibanez stompbox, as they are designed to work with each other right from the start. A mid frequencies EQ wouldn't hurt it, but otherwise it's a good-sounding pedal, I love the distortion, it's heavy without being intrusive. I have to say again that I'd go Boss Metalzone if I had the money, but this is more than adequate. // 8

SM7 Smash Box Reviewed by: acytonestd69, on march 03, 2006

Purchased from: Ted Herbert's

Ease of Use: This pedal is one of the simple complex distortions. It's the best of both worlds for a great price. I found it simply because I was in need of a pedal because I do a lot of switching in my music. This one has dist. type (smooth and sharp) and an easy to understand EQ. The drive and level aren't that hard to understand and the simple complexity of it is the built in noise gate. When I daisy chain I go from left to right cold to hot. I have my SM7 on the farthest right. The manual is in my exp. with this pedal held back by guide lines of other artist sound. I set it up to my own sign. sound this is my setting: Dist - 41/2, Hi - 7, Lo - 51/2, Lvl - level depeneds on the venue I play and the volume setting I have on the amplifier. // 9

Sound: This pedal is aka the Smash Box, it's going to be noisey. The best part of the pedal is they're built to take damage and not only take it but they look a lot classier when the have some battle wounds. You can manipulate it to sound like another artist pedal, it's not that hard. The real trick about doing that though (my opinion) it's the high and low gain that determines the ultime sound. Depending how you set that it won't matter how much dist. you use. This pedal sounds good with exp. pedals like the Cry Baby and a High Gain pedal. And even better with chorus or flange. I recommomend not using a comparing dist. with it. Makes it sound muddy and crappy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I play Tone loks in specific because they're built like tanks and they have push knobs that make it so you don't have to worry about the settings getting changed. I use them without backups anytime. I actually made a second one for leizure. I have pedal board A and Pedal Board BA is used for performances B is used for recording and just incase (I lose stuff constantly). // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal and hard rock and powerpop. I've lost count of how long I've been playing. I own mainly Ibanez stuff. I am still in hope of getting endorsed by them someday. I compared them to DigiTech and Boss D-1. I chose this pedal cause it really had a better sound that I liked cause it reminded me of Megadeth and Disturbed. I love that it's got a noise gate. I don't hate it a bit. My fav. part about it is that they're built with the knobs that get pushed in to prevent them from getting the settings screwed up. // 10

SM7 Smash Box Reviewed by: [a]MUSE, on march 11, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal looks complicated to use and did look complicated to use once I recieved it but actually it's very easy to use. // 9

Sound: The sound is decent I suppose. But personally I think it sounds great only because I wire my Laney Tubefusion to my PA for a more wide, clear, and gain type sound, which I think makes it sound a lot better. I have a Morley Classic Wah and it works fine with that, a Boss CS-3 and it sounds clearer with that, and a Boss DD-3 and it sounds fine with that. The guitar I use is a Gibson Les Paul Studio so if you own anything within a lot lower quality than that then don't expect the sound I have explained above. One other point about this pedal regarding sound is the off/1/2 switch feature. This is damn helpful when set to '2' because it compresses and litrelly switched off the pedal without you having to stomp it off. All you have to do is mute the strings and it sounds like the pedal is switched off! Something Boss don't feature! // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it and I would use it in a gig. Built with strength! But the bad thing is you have to have a battery inside to close the stomp compartment. Weird? Still works fine but looks codge bodgey? // 5

Overall Impression: I would give it an 8. I think I'll have some fun with it and then trade it in for an upgrade in a few monthsm maybe a Boss MD-2? I love the overall sound once I find the right settings! // 8

SM7 Smash Box Reviewed by: Eamon99, on june 02, 2006

Ease of Use: Not to hard to use four knobs and two switches but it takes a bit of tweaking. // 8

Sound: Sound is average it takes a while to tweak to the sound you want and even then it not the best. It can be very noisy when your not playing and when you turn the distortion up high it really pisses you off but there is a void for that but I find that Switch stupid because it take a while to start working so it sounds like shit when your playing a song and you stop for a bit. But I have managed to get some good sounds out of this pedal like Pantera, new school Metallica (you can't get that mad crunchy sound with this pedal) and Led Zeppelin but its real hard to get that sound you want if you dont want to sit there tweaking your amp and pedal for ages. // 6

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on it but I use an adaptor for it because batterys are shit and even with my adaptor it sometimes takes a few stomps to get it going. I wouldn't use this pedal for a gig its not reliable enough. // 6

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal eg pantera, Metallica, Megadeth etc. but I play a bit of rock like zeppelin and Pink Floyd but this pedal is not good for metal you cant get that crunchy thrash sound but it a cheap pedal so what can you expect but if this pedal was stolen or lost I wouldnt buy it again id go gor the 'Boss Metal Zone' or the 'DigiTech Death Metal Pedal' or the 'DigiTech Metal Factory Pedal'.The thing I hate most about this pedal is the feed back you get from it and the constant buzzing when your not playing but its all good for a cheap pedal. I wish it had and extra knob for mids because that would help it a shit load for sound but yea. // 7

SM7 Smash Box Reviewed by: Ultimate_Gio92, on november 05, 2007

Ease of Use: I can get my perfect sound out of it, it is a very simple unit to use as well. 4 knobs. Drive, Lo, Hi, Level. A 3 way selector Switch for the noisegate levels, and a Switch that controls an "edge boost" (in other words treble). It didn't come with a manual because it was used. // 8

Sound: I use it with a crappy 10 Watt Marshall MG amp (saving up for a B-52) and a Dean FBD Lefty. It is only noisy when the noisegate is off, when the noisegate is on, I find this pedal very quiet and with no feedback. One problem is that if the sound I make on my guitar is too quiet or in general a sound that the pedal doesnt't like, it cuts it out. It's not a huge problem, in fact it's barely noticable. I can get a good pantera/metallica distortion out of it, but I go for a whole different distortion. It is one with the Lo and High turned up all the way, and the Edge on Sharp (basicaly mid cut and treble boost) and Drive up all the way. I personaly love this distortion. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I bought this used, so the problem is, is that sometimes when I step on it, it wont turn the distortion on/off. This is a problem with the switch that controls the pedal, and this problem generated before I bought the pedal. There was nothing I could do about this. I wouldn't gig with it for this reason, but if I could get one brand new, I'd gig with it. // 5

Overall Impression: I play prog/death/thrash/heavy/nu-metal and this pedal is awesome for it in my opinion. I have been playing for 2 years now and I owned an Ibanez fuzz pedal before this, and so far Ibanez pedals are great quality. I wish I'd have asked if the Switch worked better before I bought this. If it was stolen or lost I'd buy it Brand New, or buy a DigiTech metal master. I love the distortion that comes out of it because I have not heard anything like this on any Boss pedal. I compared it to a Marshall guvnor, a Danelectro distortion pedal, a Boss metalzone (which I think is crap), and a line six uber metal pedal (if they had this, it would have been a tough call between the SM7 and the Uber metal) and so far the SM7 beat them all. I wish it had a bit more of an EQ section I could tweak, and dual amp output like some DigiTech pedals have, but this is not a major want, just a matter of convenience really. All in all a great pedal. // 7

SM7 Smash Box Reviewed by: phalanges24, on february 15, 2012

Price paid: C$ 70

Purchased from: Uknown Guitar Store

Ease of Use: Getting a half decent sound from this pedal is half-decently easy! There are a couple of bugaboo's I could point out, but mainly, the layout of buttons, followed by the description of them makes navigating virtually effortless. As far as it goes, this pedal follows under the "tweak to your preference" situation. It features a Drive Knob, followed by an "EQ" Section, with "Lo" and "Hi" options only, and a Level knob. There is also Void, ranging from OFF to 2, and EDGE, from Sharp to Smooth, which we will get to later. Also, in case you didn't know, the series this pedal is in is called, "Tonelock", basically accenting the fact that you can put the buttons down to make them level to pedal (you cannot adjust them as they are in the pedal), or pop them out to normal. // 9

Sound: I mainly use two guitars for this; my LP and an ESP LTD Flamed Maple LP style guitar with ESP humbuckers (a simply metal guitar!). I've used it through two amps. Amp one; a Washburn Mini-Bad-Dog amp. 10 watts, low, mid and high. I cut all the EQ flat, left the volume up for a decent amount, and plugged into it. If the pedal can Shine through this amp, it will through any other, and it did; this pedal doesn't have a "digital feel" like some other brands to say the least. It actually resembled real tube breakup which was odd to me anyway. It was clear, this pedal, and I mean this with the best intentions, was designed for practice or bedroom amps, for punk-rockers who wanted a quick gnarly tone with the added benefit of being able to tweak their sound. The second amp; my Line 6 Flextone III. Now, the Flextone III in itself is a very warm amp, that emulates a lot of great solid state and tube amps very well. I played it through a JC120 model, all through to a Mesa Dual and Triple Rectifier. I found best results on a JC120 model and a Vox AC15/AC30 model, with the Drive set low, and the EQ flat, and then I go from there. I turn the Drive up on the clean channeled amps to about 11 O'Clock, flatten the EQ, and then tweak the EQ and Drive with the SM7 Pedal. To get a dirty southern tone this worked perfectly. One of my big issues was the lack of a mid level control knob in the EQ section. I noticed though, it was not a big deal. In fact, this pedal already lacked mids enough to give you a feel that they didn't even consider mids in the pedal AT ALL, which isn't a bad thing. So, my second trick; throwing the pedal in front of the Soldano SLO100 model amps for some added EQ! I do this by turning the Drive right down on the pedal to about 7 O'Clock, then turning the Level right up, flattening the EQ, and then working the amp for my overall EQ and drive. Stomp in the pedal, and you've got a smooth overdriven solo/lead tone aside from your rhythm which works amazingly. All in all, the top-section knobs are doing what they need to. Now the issues I've encountered include a very bad fuzziness; your guitar, even when the volume all the way off, it still hums through the amp, and its worse when your playing. As to why, I don't know. All I know is, the Void sections help a TON, but they, for some crazy reason, decide they will leave a very noticeable 1/2-1 second delay on the noise suppression, which is inconvenient, and makes it more apparent. I get the feeling like they did something to the circuitry that REQUIRED them to put this is, god way to far ahead of themselves, and made what should have been a good idea... Bad. Aside from that, the Smooth and Sharp settings to very little to my taste. Overall, aside from the hiss, it provides very good tones, though I can only see the hiss getting louder at higher volumes. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. Some people say its too light, but I can see it being up to par with the build of a Boss which, in my opinion, are the most durable pedals I've ever set my eyes on. The "Tonelock" technology seems to be reliable. Simply said. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly dropped southern metal, like Pantera, Down, and I usually play Black Metal such as Mayhem or Venom, in the half punk/half black metal style (really fast power chords, diminished chords, and minor chords). I've been using it quite a bit, and I like it, it suits my needs for all the above listed, and can do more. After a life of playing, there are still pedals that seem new and unique to me, and this pedal would be in that category. I am still not liking the humming, but what can you do, its worth the sacrifice. I would replace this pedal if lost or stolen, and I would hope the ladder doesn't happen, but I could see why someone would. The ease of use, the tone, construction, the name of Ibanez, everything to me striked the thoughts "Tank, Metal, Beast, FREAKING CRAZY" and it fulfilled my desires. It's lately been my preferred metal tone for a stomp-box pedal made simply just for that purpose. Like I said, if your looking for some Muddy Waters, or some Miles Davis, this isn't going to work. I see this pedal compared a lot to the DigiTech pedals, which are great mind you, but your preference is your preference, and this pedal, at this moment, I am getting more and more used to, as it provides a different sound to most distortion pedals out there now, and you have to play it to hear it. // 8

SM7 Smash Box Reviewed by: GangsterLi, on november 24, 2008

Purchased from: String N Things

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use, it was my first pedal and I understood it very will. The manual is pretty useful because even for a person new to guitars or pedals will understand it. It has four EQ: Drive, High, Low and Level. Drive is how much distortion, Low and High are the EQs and Level is the volume. The Level is a very nice feature, there is a song with my band that begins with very quiet cleans then BANG! there comes massive and loud distorted guitars. // 8

Sound: I am playing this through a Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt (I know it's bad, but I can't afford anything else at the moment) and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus (With Seymour Duncan Alnico II) and a Gibson Les Paul Junior (With a custom P-90, called H-90) and to be honest, it sounds amazing. I do have one complaint though, sometimes when palm muting it can sound a little muddy, but it is barely noticable. Also, it is very noisey unless you put the noisegate Switch on. I play a lot of punk, pop-punk aswell as metal. it's easy to get a nice Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, Green Day, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Sum 41 and Blink 182 kind of tone out of it. Even through my pathetic amp it shines. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very dependable, it is made from metal; although it's quite heavy for such a tiny thing it is worth it. Also, the EQ, Drive and Level buttons all can be secured into place after you have set them up to your pacific liking. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly punk and pop-punk, but I like metal guitar playing and it is awesome for that, I would say it's more metal designed than punk; but it does good for both. I have been playing for three years and my current set up is; Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Dunlop Cry Baby Wah and this. If it were lost/stolen I would definatley buy a new one but I think I would rather have a Boss DS-2 because it has two differant distortions on it. I love basically everything about it. I compared it to every pedal in my local shop. Although I wish it had the option to have turbo distortion. // 8

SM7 Smash Box Reviewed by: noisevoid, on february 26, 2010

Purchased from: Music Go Round, used

Ease of Use: There are four knobs on the top of the box, all of which can be depressed so you don't accidentally turn them while it's on the floor. There is a Drive setting, High and Low tone settings, and a Level setting. There are also two switches, one for it's "Void" setting, which seems to be a compression effect that you can't really tweak, and a "smooth-sharp" switch, which effects the tone of the distortion, and is named appropriately. It uses either a 9v battery or an AC power adapter, and has both input and output jacks on opposite sides. The battery is hidden under the footswitch, and can easily be accessed. Using these, it's easy to figure out what needs to be changed to get your sound in the right direction. // 8

Sound: I purchased this needing a distortion for a bass amp I was playing through at the time, and it did just what I expected it to; provide an ample variety of distortion. I currently have it plugged into a Randall RH150G3. The guitars used were an Ibanez EX and a Dean Evo. It was the only distortion on the bass amp, and on the Randall it serves to add some variety and options to my sound. Tuning the right amount of distortion in is easy thanks to the simple settings, and messing around with them will quickly reveal a wide range of distortion, from a slight squeal behind every note, to an incredible fuzz-littered mess, and many points in between. The Drive knob typically distorts the sound without needing to adjust the volume level, with only a slight increase of volume at the higher end of the Drive setting, though this may differ with other setups. The Void switch seems to be a strong compression effect, which may come in handy for the higher levels of distortion to keep string noise out, but in my playing I find that it only cuts out notes earlier than I'd like. On the first setting it will clip notes after a moment of ringing out, and on the second, it provides a staccato effect on every note hit, sometimes even removing weaker notes from certain chords. This could be useful for an industrial sound, or for music where you are playing faster than it can cut the notes off, but it doesn't seem to let the notes sustain to their full potential. It can be a useful feature for some, but I have yet to find a good reason to turn it on. The smooth-sharp switch sounds as though it changes the EQ, perhaps the mids. In using it, I found the sharp setting adds in a bit more highs, as well as adding a slight metallic ping to the distortion, when compared to the smooth setting. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The only major problem I've had with this footswitch is that after a few months of use, it sometimes does not turn on or off when stepped on. I believe the springs inside become misaligned or bent, because when held down it switches on, but on depressing the pedal, the mechanism doesn't make it stay on. I've found opening it up and lining the springs up with their pegs fixes it, as well as finding a certain "sweet-spot" angle to switch it reliably. Because of this, I wouldn't depend on this footswitch working if I needed to switch it on and off in the middle of a song. It's reliable enough if you just want to leave it through an entire song, even better if it's for the whole set and a permanent part of your sound, but the switch not working correctly may just ruin an important part of a song. Other than that it seems rather durable, the outside is all metal, the knobs can be depressed to avoid behind kicked, and a nice sized rubber ring on the bottom to keep it from sliding. // 6

Overall Impression: It's a decent distortion pedal, which adds a good variety of options to your sound. If I had the option, I would definitely try out a different product, but for the time being this is adequate in providing what I need. It wasn't very expensive, and that was my reason for purchasing it, and I believe it has given me my money's worth, and will continue to do so. // 7

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014