TK999HT Tube King Review

9.4
reviews (3) pictures (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
TK999HT Tube King Reviewed by: gconry18, on february 03, 2009

Purchased from: KleenSounds

Ease of Use: Fantastic Stompbox! It was very easy to use and the manual explains everything well. Not a very long manual but it has a few sample settings in there. It also comes ready to plat with the AC adapter. Not many controls to get confused with here, it has: Drive, Level (Volume), Low, Mid, High (3 band EQ), Presence Switch (For more sizzle), Void (Noise Gate). // 10

Sound: I am using the clean channel on my Roland Cube 30X with a Ibanez RG321MH that has Infinity 3&4 pups. I do not recommend using it on any distorted channels as it is a distortion unit. Void function (Noise Gate) is pretty good but sometimes the transition between playing and the unit stopping the sound has abit of a jerk (not really noticible though). Without The Void turned on though there is quite abit of feedback at high gain levels but that's about what one should expect. It was very easy for me to get sounds of Avenged Sevenfold and Rage Against The Machine. I play mostly metal and this box does the trick. Can get anything from high pitched screams to low bassy moans. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this pedal without a backup. It is built very sturdy (and heavy) and the controls wont be broken when stomping on the thing as some are protected by the shape of the unit and the other two are high up where you don't stomp (But if you did stomp there I'm sure they wont break). I would gig with it anyday... Just don't drop it on your foot, or bass players foot for that matter. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before this unit is great for metal. Any tone between (and including)light crunch and high gain it can handle. I have been playing for 2 years but I don't have any experience with other tube stompboxes. If it were stolen or lost I would save a load of cash and buy an all tube amp but if I only had a solid state amp I will definitely replace the Tube King. This little box can make most SS amps sound tube. There is only one very minor annoyance, there is no on/off Switch so you need to unplug the AC adapter to turn it off (I have no problem with that though). // 10

TK999HT Tube King Reviewed by: ToneMonster, on march 07, 2011

Purchased from: AMS

Ease of Use: This is a supurb pedal in quality and tone. Hard to get a bad sound out of it, although some can't seem to understand you do not power this off a brick or budget daisy chain. This is a 12v high current 400mA unit and it requires the supply Ibanez provides for the unit OR one that can sustain 12v and 500mA. The voltage is stepped up inside this unit to a 100v which is more than any tube dist or OD pedal I know. Sure it is not a 300v amp plate voltage but it is a floor pedal! Start w the knobs at 12 and tweak away. It has any range of gain you might need and it sounds fantastic. // 10

Sound: I love this box and I look forward to getting the white OD TK999OD model if it is half as good as this puppy it will be a sweet pedal. This is my fav gain box and I am not easy to please in that arena. Please understand, high gains are made for clean channels not gained up channels. Do not use it wrong or under power it and offer complaints. Use it as designed and be prepared for some glorious tube gain. Dist quality is as good as it gets, you can adjust the unit from any range of metal to heavy Zep like tones. It is not designed to clean up via the dist knob but does like all tube circuits with guitar vol. I do not find rolling off my guitar vol to be useabel option for me but some might. I find it to be really quiet, and just an all out tone monster. The special "void" noise reduction knob is there to tighten up the bass for all out metal chuga palm mute tones. Most of the time I keep it just on. Lots of low end and lots of mids and high ranges, everything is there, just tweak to your tone. Dist is full on tube gain and sounds better than any other high gain I use. I think it sounds better than my high gain tube channels. It can mimic a Satchurator voice but in an A/B this better and it can do much more. Put a light gain OD in front of it and it sings to the heavens. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I was impressed my this unit before I took it out of the box or saw it. It is heavy and one gets the immediate sense you are holding a quality design and build. The color is deep and rich and a quality job. Ibanez does not disapoint. The pics do not really do it justice, yes it is larger than most most but is has a transformer inside to step the voltage up. Using a "real" tube at a 9v or even 12v level is really not getting what a tube does. By the way, you will love the way Ibanez has the tube visable and the way it lights up, looks HOT and sounds hot! Some complain to toss the tube; really..., stop listening to all these Jr players and their tube myths. There is NO discerable difference in any 12AX7 at this level of gain, PERIOD. The EH is a highly rated 12AX7 the same basic price as a Tung Sol which I use a lot. The Tung Sol might have a slightly better potential noise level and less microphonic rating but you are wasting your time and voiding your warrenty digging in there to change a perfectly great tube. If you want to try another tube w less gain then why mess with this box, Your interests would be served better on the OD model. // 10

Overall Impression: It's hard to say something is the best. I have been playing for decades and have used about everything. As a high gain dist using a real tube pushing high voltage inside, I cannot imagine what you are going to find better than this pedal, and at $150, please..., it is a steal. Some dislike the Diamond shaped orientation of the box complaining of pedal board space, seriously??? Turn the box like I did and integrate it. This is real and true 10 level box!! // 10

TK999HT Tube King Reviewed by: Pedro Gitarista, on february 10, 2012

Purchased from: Audiophile

Ease of Use: Very Easy. Good knobs, manual provided with tone settings. // 10

Sound: Gear: used together with solid state Vox modelling amp, a Tubescreamer TS808 and a Les Paul Replica (Tokai LS85F) with Seymour Duncan PUP Alnico Pro II on the bridge and stock on the neck. Sound is amazing with only the distortion turned on, on a clean channel of the amp of course, the different tone setting from solos to riff provided in the manual is useful. The equalizer functions very well (bass, mid and trebble) that you can have a lot of tone settings. Distortion as they've said is massive and tight and the tone is so f*cking gorgeous Vintage sweet. I use the Tube Screamer to boost solos and only the distortion on when doing riffs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The casing and knobs seemed durable. But as expected the tube produces moderate heat. I hope the circuits will last a long time. // 8

Overall Impression: For 2 Years, I mostly play Hard Rock and Blues types (Led Zeppelin and SRV). I have watch a review of this in the YouTube together with other distortion and this is a favorite. I have always wanted a tube amp but they're expensive and too big, and I found this pedal and satisfied my craving for a warm tube tone cause its f*cking awesome. The feeling is that it reveals your true skills, and you can have the great tone in many of the great rock records, makes me very happy. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RGIR28FE 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/22/2014