TS9 Tubescreamer Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/22/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Ibanez: TS9 Tubescreamer
The TS9 was reissued all the way back in 1993. Eleven years after its reissue the TS9 Tube Screamer is still going strong.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Ease of Use: 9.3
 8.5
 9.2
 7.8
reviews (19) pictures (1) 73 comments vote for this gear:
TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: Mr. Legato, on december 23, 2005

Purchased from: Musician

Ease of Use: It's incredibly easy to use, but most stompboxes are anyway. 3 knobs, drive, tone, and level. Drive is the amount of Overdrive. The tone knob controls sound wether it's more trebly or bassy. Fully counter-clockwise is for a more bassy sound, and fully clockwise will give you a higher pitched with the treble more prominant. The level controls the total output of the pedal. There's input and output and the stomp switch. // 9

Sound: I have a Mexican Stratocaster and a 25 watt Peavey combo amp that I use with this pedal. I use it to get Led Zeppelin and AC/DC like Overdrive, which it does great. If you put the drive down at like 2 or 3 you basically get a boosted clean sound. Drive all the way at 10 gives you a light crunchy guitar tone. It's a very smooth Overdrive, not as hot as the TS808 (which I prefer) but very warm sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a very solid pedal. All metal construction. Will not break under regular use (including gigs). Only way I see it breaking is if you were to throw it against a wall a bunch of times. // 8

Overall Impression: When I play classic rock, (i.e Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, CCR) it gives the best sound you could want. It's also great if you play rhythm with full chords, can get nice full crunchy chords without the chords getting fuzzy or muddy, where all you hear is noise. I've been playing for 4 years. I love this pedal, if you use it for the right kind of music itll sound great, however if you try to play something heavy on this pedal you'll be disapointed in the sound. The only thing I dont like about it is that I wish it would get a little more crunch, but then I'd have the TS808 which I plan on purchasing to replace the TS9. Get the TS9 if you want a really warm sounding Overdrive and not too much gain. // 9

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: HENROID, on january 28, 2005

Ease of Use: Since the TS9 Tubescreamer is pretty much a distortion pedal (and yes its a hell of a distortion). The only thing you might need to adjust are the three knobs on the Tubescreamer. It has drive, tone, and level, and if you don't know what each one's for, you can just read it in the fold up manual that comes in the box. This pedal is easy to use, it's pretty much step on, step off. // 10

Sound: I'm currently using my TS9 with a Yamaha Pac (it looks like a Strat), a 30watt Valvetronix Vox amp, and with my good old original Dunlop Crybaby Wah-Wah. My guitar does suck ass, so when I got the TS9 and hooled it up to the rest of the mix, my guitar was sounding totatlly different. With the TS9, I'm able to play great solos, which sound better than they ever did before. If you want a lot of distortion, then you can just put the drive all the way up, but the TS9 sounds better when the drive is put around half way. This will give you a nice creamy sound, which are excellent for solos. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The TS9 is here to last so a backup wont ever be necessary for a gig. If you're worried about the battery, you can use the AC adapter which runs through the head of the TS9. Of course you can also put a battery inside which requires no unscrewing at all. I guess if you're doing a gig, then the battery should be able to hold out, but if you're doing a show (large stage) then the AC adapter or the battery should be fine. // 10

Overall Impression: Although the TS9 is a distortion pedal, it's more commonly used for solos. So, if you're more into just playing heavy power chords, the TS9 might work out for you but theres a greater chance that it won't. This is why you should really try it out before buying it, you know just in case. I found nothing wrong with this pedal and it helps greatly at gigs because it's so damn loud! Everybody will hear your solos with the TS9! So if I were to lose it or have it stolen, I would definitely buy another one! // 10

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 26, 2005

Purchased from: Disgruntled User

Ease of Use: I love this box! The only reason I bought it was to boost my clean channel. I don't get these people trying to boost their distortion channels, If you want distortion, buy a distortion pedal! If you want solo tones, it all depends on what you like. But if you want sweet and spicy blues with soul enough for Jesus, this is your box. // 9

Sound: This thing is hot. I run it between my Mayer Strat into an Ampeg V3, or a Vibro-king on the clean channel. I like the drive at a little past 2, Tone at whatever feels right, and the Level enough to get everything clear. I like a real bassy, almost SRV tone, but not as biting. And if I ever get the urge to scream, this does it like the best of em. People: note the name of this pedal, Tubescreamer. Yes, this means it it is built to be used with a tube amp. Not transistors. This being, any solid state amp is not going to give you that sweet SRV tone you expected. You will get mud, or treble, depending on how drive happy you are. Again, dont buy this without a decent, all tube amp (I kindly suggest the Blues Jr). // 8

Reliability & Durability: Tough as nails! I've taken mine through hell and back tryna make some cash. This thing loves it, the more you abuse it the better it seems to sound. Must be all that ugly paint that got stipped off. I use mine as a backup for my Original TS808, its older brother bulit back in the day. Same construction, somethin about the chips make it sound a little different though. Battery life is decent, Id buy an adapter. // 10

Overall Impression: I love it, it really compliments the strat well. An all around good pedal for blues and whatever else comes out of these dirty fingers. // 9

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2005

Ease of Use: It's very easy to get a nice, warm Overdrive. Only three knobs and a stomp button. However, don't try using the Tube Screamer on a clean channel, use it to "thicken up" your drive channel. // 8

Sound: I am using the Tube Screamer with a Standard (Mexican-made) Fender Stratocaster and a 65 watt solid-state combo amp, the Fender Princeton 65. I'd be happy if I could get just a little more distortion out of the pedal, but other than that its great. It adds lots of tone and depth to my sound, and blows (predictably) the built-in distortion on my amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The pedal itself seems very durable, but the second time I changed the battery (9v), one of terminals broke off (I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else, so it may have been my fault). Because of this, the pedal is unusable, unless I spend more money to buy an AC adapter. Other than that, however, the Tube Screamer seems to be very durable, with all metal construction. // 6

Overall Impression: I mostly play hard rock music, and the Tube Screamer fits it very nicely (though I still want a little more distortion). It would also work well with electric blues, classic (the Who-era) rock, and even some punk music. I would purchase another one if it were lost, but their price is pretty high, usually 150+. Other than the fact that the battery terminal broke off, its very durable. A great pedal, other than that. // 8

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: DM036, on march 08, 2006

Ease of Use: This effect pedal is just like any other pedal when it comes to the difficulty of its use. With the Tubescreamer's simple design of knobs at the top, input and output on the side, and an on and off stomp switch in the middle at the bottom, it really needs no instruction. This pedal features custom settings for tone, drive, and level of intensity, yet it's the unique sound you get that will impress you the most. This pedal runs on battery energy, however you can purchase an adapter for it for around 15-20 bucks. Brand new this pedal usually runs around $100, luckily though I found one new during a close out sale. // 10

Sound: The sound that the Tubescreamer produces is what impressed me the most. If you are looking for that extra drive, this is where you will find it. You can use this pedal to accentuate other pedals of your choice, or just use it alone and receive some great Overdrive. It brings that true vintage tube sound to life to almost any amp. I use it with a '69 Fuzz pedal and on my '65 Fender Twin Reverb and it allows me to get the kind of Stevie Ray Vaughn bluesy sound. With this pedal, you can also recreate vintage sounds by adding mod kits to it. One of the more popular mods is the TS-808 mod. Using any of the modifications you can do to this pedal can give you exactly what you are looking for in your sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've been using this pedal for about 2-3 years now and I haven't had a problem with it yet. I've played some small gigs with it and it has never failed me. One suggestion for this pedal I would like to make however would be to buy the AC adapter, it tends to run through batteries quite fast. The sound will also begin to lose its drive if your battery is dying. As for durability, it is constructed out of steel, and can withstand some abuse. I've stomped it pretty hard and it still looks and functions great. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I would recommend this pedal to anyone searching for a good solid Overdrive unit. It can really bring life to your guitar playing capability, and is great for generating that extra drive in a solo. For someone who is into blues, blues rock, or even classic rock, this is a good pedal. If you are looking for distortion, this isn't really what you want. // 9

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 30, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is relatively easy to use, the Drive controls the amount of overdrive, the tone sets how much treble/bass you get and the level is just the volume. It will take abit of tweaking to get your perfect tone. It works perfectly fine un-modded. It will take a read idiot to actually go wrong with this thing. Also uses a pretty standard 9V input, 300mA. // 10

Sound: I am using it with a Line 6 Spider III, Ibanez IC 400 iceman and a Electro-Harmonix Metal muff, using the TS-9 to boost and smoothen out the rough harsh distortion from the metal muff while maintaining the 'heavy' tonal qualities of the Metal Muff. Note, this is not a distortion pedal. That is why I am able to use this pedal at the same time as my metal muff without the sound becoming muddy. The effects sound best for me at maximum drive, 50% volume and 50% tone, this is as I use the equalizer on my metal muff for most tonal tweaking. This is a very nice clean and smooth pedal, it is never noisy on whatever setting and does not generate feedback. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is a built like a f--king brick. The all metal construction makes it considerably tough. If I needed a weapon, I'd actually not mind using it. I'd happily use it to gig without backup naturally. Sad to say, the paint is not exactly scratch resistant, however the metal seems reasonable tough enough to not dent from a few hits. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal, that's all, that's why I never use this pedal alone. Other distortions that this pedal does an excellent job of creaming out and smoothening the edges are the DigiTech Grunge and Boss MT-2 (which sounds like crap alone). I don't hate any aspect of this pedal as, really, it is perfect for my needs, also, it is reasonably priced as compared to it's contemporaries. If it was stolen or something along those lines, I would definitely get another one. Nothing else I have tried to date even comes close to the clean boost is gives to my distortion pedals, best of all, it doesn't muddy up the distortion. // 9

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: RealGuitarHero, on august 09, 2012

Ease of Use: This guitar is extremely simple to use, and I find it is almost impossible to get bad sound out of this little green pedal as long as you run it in front of a tube amp. It'll sound decent in front of a solid state amp, but doesn't give you the same effect. // 8

Sound: I'm currently using this pedal in front of my Vox AC30CC2. I'm either using my Fender Baja Tele or my Fender Tom DeLonge Strat when I use it. While the pedal isn't naturally noisy, using it as a volume boost with single coils likely will produce some noise. While you can use this pedal as just a standard Overdrive with a clean channel, I prefer to use it as a lead boost on the Top Boost channel of my Vox to tighten up the sound. I've tried it as a clean boost as well, but it's not really something I need. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is completely dependable. My only complaint is the switches Ibanez uses, I try to run as many True Bypass pedals as on my board. I haven't had trouble disengaging/engaging the pedal however. This is more of a personal preference rather than an issue with the pedal. The pedal itself is built like a tank. I don't have any problem gigging with it at all and it's gotten a good bit of use already. // 9

Overall Impression: I've played in Alternative and Pop-Punk bands, and the for the occasional lead riffs that need a little boost to cut through this pedal gets the job done. If it were stolen, I'd get a replacement, but I wouldn't buy another one new.I tried plenty of Overdrives before I settled on this pedal, including the Fulltone OCD, the Ibanez TS808, and the Way Huge Green Rhino. This is the one I liked the most. I chose it because I found it to be the easiest to dial in a sound I liked. I love its color scheme, it's sound, and it's small footprint. The only thing I would change about this pedal would be the switch on it, and possibly a two band eq instead of just one Tone knob. Still. I'd recommend this pedal to anyone. // 8

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2006

Ease of Use: Easy, that's the word. Just three knobs: Overdrive, level and tone. Play with them and you'll find your sound. Nothing else to say. About the manual, it doesn't exists, but there's no need neither. It's your own work to set it up. // 9

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone Les Pauls Classic Plus, and the amp is a Roland Cube 60. My pedal effects are basically Line 6 DL-4 and a Vox Wah Wah, and I can say that TS9 is something that I was looking for. Last year I bought the Boss SD-1 pedal, and it's great as well, but not the same. Not at all. I read in internet that this is the pedal used by Noel Gallagher and listening to some live songs. It's the one, no doubt. Even though my amb and my guitar are faaaaar away from his, the sound I get is pretty "close" to Oasis sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It looks like unbreakable, I don't know. Obviously yes, I would use it on a gig. I don't know what is it made of, but it's really heavy for a pedal effect. I bought it 2 months ago, but I think this will last for a loooong long time. I'm sure of that. // 9

Overall Impression: I play pop/rock, some kinda indie rock. This is the pedal for that kinda music. Some other reviews explains that it is a perfect pedal for blues and classic rock. If I were stolen, I definitely would by another one, no doubt. But I should've to save some money the price in here is too high. What I love? that great warm sound, soft distortion that lets you play whatever (unless you're a metal guitarrist, if so buy some other Distortion pedal, not this one). What I hate? The price. That's the only thing I hate. But what can I say? It's 100 euros more expensive than the Boss SD1 for example but it sounds 1000 better. You know what I mean. I've never had the chance to play the Old TS9. I've read a lot o revies tryin' to say that this is a damm bad copy, I'm sure they're wrong, believe me when I say that I can get exactly the sound I want with it. I hate those know-it-all guitarrists. // 10

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 06, 2006

Ease of Use: The Tubescreamer is extremely simple to handle. The three knobs for gain, tone and level are just what they are, and really no matter where they are you get a good sound. It's just about finding what you like. I hear they're pretty easy to modify if you want to, I've read articles on how to hot rod your tubescreamer to make it hotter, mellower, higher gain, whatever. I'm fine with what it does now though. The manual that came with it was good, just had the basics. No suggested settings section, but you really don't need that once you plug it in. // 10

Sound: I use the TS9 through a Les Paul Studio and a hot rod Deville 212 amp. It can be a little noisy when the knobs are all on 10, but nothing out of the ordinary. Overall it's just very smooth and creamy. It's a very in-control kind of pedal, and it always sounds great. The TS9 is very capable to emulating your favorite artists. Kicking up the tone will give you a very nice srv sound, roll up the gain a bit more and you have a good hendrix tone also. And of course, this pedal is more than great for rhythm playing, and those classic rock power chords are always crystal clear. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a very solid pedal. I like the actual stompbox part, and that its neither a noisy pebble to step on or a flimsy feeling Boss button. It's a nice well sized metal piece that moves very smoothly. It's pretty well weighted, etc. all the knobs seem in good check as well. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues rock, and this is definitely a good match. After 30 years of playing professionally, the Tubescreamer pedal is the best Overdrive I've used, and always will be. As for Overdrive pedals, its the only one I have, I sold the 3 other ones I was using when I got the TS9 and only needed that. If I lost this pedal I immediately get the same one. This is the Overdrive to use. That's it. I love the smooth and creamy drive it gets and the seasick green finish. Compared to any other drives, whether it's the Boss OD or the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, etc. it kicks total ass. It's got everything you need, nothing you don't! // 10

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: Maj_Tom, on september 01, 2006

Purchased from: Barrie Music

Ease of Use: I was impressed right off the bat with this pedal. I plugged it in and it produced an amazing sound with everything at 12 o'clock, and no matter which way I turned the knobs, I kept getting a very different but excellent overdrive (three knobs: drive, tone, and level). It came with a small manual that explains how to hook it up, changing the batteries, and how to keep the batteries life lasting longer. You really didn't need it if you have used a guitar pedal before. An easy 10 for ease of use. // 10

Sound: I am playing this pedal with a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Roland 30 Cube. It only produces feedback when the level is set really high, but nothing unmanagable. The effect is always there, even with the Drive at zero. I have been able to get sounds very similar to Hendrix almost right off the bat, and when I turn down the tone you can mellow out the sound to an "American Woman" type lead, smooth OD with lots of sustain. The Overdrive from this pedal is just great, you can get a find bit of grit, to an "all out" OD. It never slips into distorton which is good for my style of playing. Chords sound great with just the right amount of break up, which you can dial in to your tastes. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I am really careful with my equipment, so this hasn't been tossed around at all, but it is a very solid casing. Never leave this around when your girlfriend is mad at you, if she threw it at you the pedal would be fine, but you would not be. I would gig with the TS9 without a backup, though I haven't yet, but I would bring an extra battery. It doesnt't last terribly long. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock and blues and anything inbetween those two and it absolutely perfect for that. I've been playing for two and a half years and this is the best pedal I have come across for OD. If it was stolen or lost I would have to march right back out and buy another. I love the "feeling" of this pedal, the feeling is that your pickups are giving out a burning hot signal. I don't hate anything about this pedal and it suits my every need. My favorite feature would have to be how you think you have squeezed out all the OD you need, than oh, the knob still isn't up all the way. I compared this with the Boss Blues Driver and the Boss OD's and they couldnt hold a candle to this badboy. I couldn't ask for more from this pedal, and even when I take a very critical look at it, I realize there is a reason the TS9 is so popular. // 10

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: JeffWiredBeck24, on july 02, 2007

Ease of Use: When I decided to buy the classic TS9, I walked into my local music shop that I go to almost everyday and asked the clerk if I could try the Tube Screamer. He let me try out the reissue of the Tube Screamer, which costs about $100. I tried it, and loved it. Then, he let me in on this little secret; the Keeley modded TS9. There are knobs for Drive, Tone, and Level. These knobs allow for a wide variety of tones that are easy to access. The manuel that came with it was helpful, but it didn't provide anything that one couldn't figure out within the first 30 minutes of owning it. The simplicity of the pedal allows for any tone a person wants, with three simple knobs. // 10

Sound: After I tried this pedal, and the sound absolutely blew me away. The modifications allow for a warmer, fuller, richer tone. I play through a '65 Reissue Fender Twin Amp and a 2002 American Fender Stratocaser, Gibson Les Paul Special, and Ibanez RG350MDX. The pedal covers all of these perfectly. Unlike the original Tube Screamer, instead of the Drive going from 1-10, the Keeley mod Drive goes from 4-14, allowing for a wider range of tones. The pedal is surprisingly quiet, only giving off feedback under extreme circumstances. The range of the tone is incredible, you can get a slight Overdrive, a heavier Overdrive, or, if combined with your amp's Overdrive setting, a heavily distorted sound that still provides a great tone. The tonal possibilities are practically endless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank, and, although I haven't dropped (I'm much too careful with my pedals), I'm sure it could withstand some abuse. I've used it in gigs before, and it's able to be powered by both a 9V battery and an AC Adaptor. Although, I do find the battery too last much shorter than expected. // 8

Overall Impression: I mostly play Blues and Rock, and, when I Pick up my RG, delve into the realm of shred (Gilbert, Vai, Satch, etc.) This pedal covers them all; again, the tonal possibilities are endless. I bought this pedal after four years of playing, and it will surely stay with me for the as long as I Live. Of course, when buying this, I had to compare it to other Overdrive pedals. I compared this to three different pedals: the Boss Blues Driver, Ibanez TS9, and the Ibanez Classic Reissue of the TS9. After much deliberation, the Robert Keeley mod of the TS9 stood head shoulders above the rest. If you're looking for a beautiful overdirve pedal with a rich, warm, full tone, look no further than this Keeley modded Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer. // 10

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: triv fan, on december 06, 2007

Ease of Use: Three knobs, Drive, Tone, and level. Very user friendly. If you play with it you can get a wide variety of tones without muting the characteristic tone of you re guitar. The Drive and tone knobs function for the most part as gain and volume Drive, while the tone knob helps you mold and shape you're tone. One input, One output, and an input for a nine volt DC adapter as well as a battery. // 7

Sound: I run mine in parrelell with a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor on the dirty or "gain " channel of my Marshall mini stack with all three knobs cranked to the right or maxxed out. Searing metal tone with loads of sustain through the bridge pickup and yet still a very creamy sound through the neck pickup of my les paul. As I said the great advantage over a distortion pedal is you're guitars character sound still shines through. I would deffinately suggest a noise gate on a dirty channel quit a bit of buzz and hum. Roll back the dials a bit and you can almost clear the overdrive out of the line and just add some sustain to you're amp. You can also use it to dirty up you re clean channel and get some really cool bluesy tones adding a little reverb. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Very solid, rugged construction. Case is steel and pedal switch portion is solid, no cheese here. Seems built to stomp on. Colors kinda funky makes it easy to find on a crowded pedalboard. Drop it off the roof then plug it in. // 8

Overall Impression: After many failed attempts at finding the tone I was craving earlier in my guitar life using distortion pedals like DOD Death Metal, and digitechs scott ian black thirteen, my tone was hollow no real chunk to it. I am now a huge fan of driving my gain and amp and being able to here more of the tone from my fingers and guitar than I did from a distortion pedal. I compared this to the Zakk Wylde Overdrive and the Maxon 909 before purchase. // 9

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: Ace Frehley, on july 03, 2008

Price paid: € 70

Ease of Use: The famous Ibanez Tube Screamer also known as TS-9 is one of the most descent Overdrive pedals and it has been used by many guitarists over the years. 3 knobs to mess around with, a tone, level and a gain. My friend of which I bought it from did not gave me a manual but you don't actually need one since the use of it is easy. I can get a warm overdrive at any level of the gain knob. It is quite heavy I can say, cause when I placed it into my pedal case my shoulder just "went off" while carrying it to the studio. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Cort X-2 and Peavy tube head with a Mesa Boogie cabinet and the sound is crystal. It is also plugged into my other pedals a wah, a distortion and a delay. The good thing is that you don't hear that annoying "bzzzzz" sound when you're on high gain. It can also be used as a booster. But carefull! In case you want to boost don't turn the gain knob all the way up. This will low your frequences and your volume will get lower. You have to turn the gain to about 1-2, the level knob full and then you'll get the boost. It is also an analog pedal so the sound you can get is pretty far amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is said that Tube Screamers often have problems. I have heard many stories about not working on stage and stuff. Even for the one I have the guy told me that it might not work sometimes and that I have to take the battery off, replace it, press the toggle switch a few times and then it comes back to life. I would go without backup because I can rely on my Hot Head Distortion. And I don't have any more pedals so. // 8

Overall Impression: My playing style is mainly post-rock and experimental type of music. I'm also a guitarist in a gothic-metal band. It matches well with the experimental genre 'cause in some songs you need an OD and not a Distortion.But as I said before I'm using as a boost in the gothic band for the solos.If it was lost or stolen I'd propably buy the DigiTech Bad Monkey instead cause it's newer and cheaper. I love the colour of the TS-9 but one thing that is really annoying is that the LED light is so poor compared to my other pedals, and it's not that the battery is low. The only thing I wish it had would be a brighter LED light. Overall this pedal can do its work well. // 9

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: aeliustehman, on november 03, 2008

Ease of Use: There's always some good sound out of this thing. It's very easy to get a good sound and it's a very easy to use pedal. There is a manual for it, but you don't really need it. It has 3 controls, Drive, Tone, and level. I'm not *exactly* sure what level *is* but, it does effect the sound and makes it heavier. My unit has not been upgraded. // 9

Sound: I use this pedal with an Ibanez ICT700 electric guitar and Peavey Valveking 212. The pedal *can* be noisy, but only when you over-do the settings ( I.e. pushing the Drive or level up too high ), but you can get any distortion sound you want. The effects are only weak if your guitar is weak, it's a face-melting kick-ass pedal. I can always get the sound I want, even if I have to look for it for a minute. My favorite artists are Metallica, Aerosmith, Guns and Roses, Slipknot, Dream Theater and so on and I can get the sound of all these bands with this pedal and the right tone settings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could always depend on this pedal, it's metal housing is sturdy and stout, and this pedal is so tough I'm pretty sure if you were to smack someone over the head you would kill them, No Doubt. I always say never play a gig without a backup, but if the situation came that I had to use it without a backup, I would. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal, thrash metal, hard rock, heavy blues rock, and sometimes southern rock. This pedal plays all types of distorted music perfectly. I've been playing about a year and a half now, and I own this, an Ibanez ICT700 guitar, Peavey valveking 212, Ibanez CF-7, Dunlop crybaby 535q, and a Morley little alligator. I mainly bought this because several of my favorite artists (including Kirk Hammett) use this pedal. I plugged it in and loved it. If it was stolen I would be sad. Then I'd buy it again. I love everything about it and hate nothing. I love it. // 10

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: ftgjr, on november 18, 2010

Purchased from: center stage music, used

Ease of Use: I was looking for an Overdrive to push my Vox AC4TV to get dirtier sounds and to have an overdriven sound on lower volumes (I have kids). This pedal is easy to use and have no problem getting the sounds I'm looking for. I have not had any mods done. I might have a Keeley or Analogman mod done. // 9

Sound: I currently play a Gibson Les Paul Studio and Fender American Standard Strat, as well as and Ibanez RG-550 and an 80's Kramer Striker through a Vox AC4TV and Vox VT15. This pedal delivers a nice boost for my amp and gives me a nice overdriven sound at lower volumes. I play all kinds of music from classic rock to blues to metal and Jazz. This pedal is great for blues and classic rock like SRV, Thin Lizzy, Bad Company, ZZ Top etc... // 9

Reliability & Durability: These things are build like tanks. This pedal looks like it was used in a lot of gigs and was used quite well. I cleaned it up and it looks like a new pedal. I think this pedal has many more years of great sound to deliver. I'm a bedroom player so I won't abuse it like the previous owner/owners. Even if I did, I still think it would last. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this is a great pedal, definitely a classic. I use this for playing classic rock and blues and for a boost for some of my fuzz boxes and to get a raunchier sound from my amp. I've been playing for over 20 years (on and off) I have several stomp boxes a Big Muff, Fuzz Face, Seymore Duncan Tweak Fuzz, Seymore Duncan Power Grid Distortion, Crybaby Wah, Morley Wah, MXR phase 90, Boss Compressor and a Zoom G2. I was looking at several Tubescreamers and clones. I was prepared to spend $100 to $150 on one and I just notice this small music store as I was driving and stopped in and noticed the TS-9 sitting in the case. I took it home and and have extra money for more pedals (just don't tell my wife). // 9

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: thetobarmethod, on october 19, 2011

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Ease of Use: Well the TS9 isn't the best tube screamer, isn't to great when it comes to doing anything other than lightweight distortion, or a little increase in jangliness. It is great for a Vintage sound, and you can get a great bluesy tone. Turning the tone and level knobs actually make a pretty big difference. Not just a light, pussish "rang", more like, "BRAAANG" and it goes great with a split humbucker. Easy to use, sounds good, looks good. Simple. // 10

Sound: I use primarily Ibanez guitars through Randall amps, and it sounds great. Somewhat noisy with my fender, but only if your playing raw and non-silenced. Its tone is great, feels right for lighter genres, and fits most things. // 9

Reliability & Durability: IT'S INVINCIBLE, I've literally, not even joking when I say, I've thrown it on the ground, stomped on it, and tossed it around. Definitely tough. Yes, I would use without backup. // 10

Overall Impression: IT'S REALLY GOOD. But not right for me. Any jazz or alternative artist would love this pedal, but not if you like metal. GET IT! // 9

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: warbeast19, on january 26, 2012

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal for my "new" used Marshall TSL stack. I was intending to use a Vox Satchurator for extra distortion, but it didn't really work how I wanted on my lead channel. I decided to buy this considering its popularity, and since it works well with tube amps. Without even moving the knobs from 12 o'clock, the sound was perfect right there. I have used the same setting since, and I can't believe it was that much easier. Couldn't be easier, even came with a working battery. // 10

Sound: I'm running my Ibanez S into this pedal, into my Marshall JCM2000. I only use this on the lead channel, and it works best on there. It is one of the quietest pedals I've owned, which is good for when the amp's blaring. I really haven't turned the pedal distortion up very high, but it packs a lot of gain. Though the tone knob doesn't make any huge difference. The pedal itself barely colours the tone, which is good if you have a nice amp. It still covers all high gain genres and makes for a great solo boost. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The exterior seems standard; just as sturdy as any typical expensive pedal. I wouldn't try chucking it or beating it up a lot, small pedals like these can break. The only thing that would actually make it better is a brighter light. You kinda have to be right overtop of it in order to verify its active. Reliable = YES. // 8

Overall Impression: The pedal goes nice with tube amplifiers, hard rock and high gain soloing of any kind. I've gone through a decent amount of gear, playing for 4 years or so. I've gone through solid state amps, and I wouldn't recommend wasting money to buy this pedal unless your using a "real" amp and you need it. I love it's simplicity; everyone told me this pedal was the Holy Grail of pedals. Only a hundred bucks, a good deal for a pedal.. And I would buy another if it were stolen. If you're looking for extra gain, and your amp can't deliver, this pedal is the quickest and most reliable fix. Cool looking too, goes nice with an Ibanez axe. // 9

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: ToxicTrace100, on july 19, 2012

Ease of Use: This is the famed TS9 Tubescreamer pedal, used by everyone from Peter Frampton to Unearth, this pedal is the best way to add extra grit, juice, and bark to your sound. The learning curve on this thing is right around zero, with just three knobs, one each for level, gain and tone. The level knob of course boosts volume, and is great for pushing an amp harder that normal, while the gain knob, while lacking a plethora of distortion, certainly adds a very desirable saturation to your sound. The level knobs affects the high end of the sound boosting or cutting it, and after being turned past three o'clock also adds volume. Anyone can figure out how to use one of these, and they instantly make whatever you're playing sound better. // 10

Sound: I'm running this in front of a Peavey 5150 II, along with two separate Marshall Valvestate amplifiers, and it sounds great in front of all of them. It tightens up the sound and adds a warm high-mid spike to the sound for an eighties tinged boost sound. This pedal is very quite, and it always does its job. It sound best as a boost for an already overdriven amp, giving it a tighter, edgier sound with plenty of grit. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing comes in a metal case, so I would definitely rely on it, and gig it without a backup. I would, however, always run it with a power supply, as batteries are simply too unreliable in a guitar pedal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal and punk, and I've been playing music all my life, and I have to same that this is one of the finest effects I've ever owned. If this was stolen, I would buy a new one immediately, and I'd keep doing it until the authorities apprehended the pedal thief responsible. I compared this to a Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive and a TS808, and I decided to go with the TS9, as it has a warm, yet very tight and gritty sound to it. The only thing that could make this pedal better is if it came with a second one right in the box. // 10

TS9 Tubescreamer Reviewed by: George Juggles, on january 22, 2013

Purchased from: Used Local

Ease of Use: This pedal is great. It is very easy to get a good sound out of it, I found the sound I was looking for within 10 min. Since I bought it used, it didn't come with a manual. I don't really think you need one just because it is a simple pedals with 3 knobs (Drive, Tone, and Level). Drive controls the amount of gain, Tone controls the tone (duh), and Level controls the amount of volume. The Tone knob range isn't as "wide" as some might like, but has a fairly good size range. I rate it an 8 because of the tone knob. // 8

Sound: I am using this pedal with a PRS SE Semi-Hollow and a Peavey Classic 30. I have used this with a Mooer Chorus and a Jimi Hendrix Wah, and it works well with both of these. There is no noise that I can hear, powered by a battery and a Joyo Powersupply 2. The effect is not weak at all, but is isn't a very heavy overdrive. You can get a good classic rock sound out of this, similar to AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. I use it for a light overdrive, so I can get a Creedence Clearwater Revival and Beatles like sound. You can also use this to boost an Overdrive channel to get a higher gain sound. The Tubescreamer as a prominent "mid hump", which some people may or may like. I like it, but this may be a problem for someone else. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on this during a gig without a backup. It is in a Solid Metal casing and the knobs are secure. The jacks and AC power jack are tight, and don't feel like they would come loose, but people should check every once in a while just to make sure that it will work and won't stop working at a gig. One potential problem is the LED. When you look at it at an angle, you can't tell if it is on or not. This isn't much of a problem at home, but might be a problem at a performance. // 7

Overall Impression: I play alot of different music ranging from funk and reggae to hard rock. This is a Overdrive pedal so you wouldn't use it in alot of genres. This is a great pedal for different styles of rock, and anything where you need a little bit of dirt. I have been playing for more than 5 years, but I have listed all the gear I own in the review. There isn't really anything that I wish this product had, but there are many mods that you can do to this to make it better/different. I was going to get a Joyo Vintage Overdrive, which is a Tubescreamer clone, but for the price that this came up used for I may as well get the real deal. I like the range of tones you can get from this pedal, but it isn't for really heavy stuff. You can use it as a boost on the dirt channel of an amp, or use it as a lighter overdrive. I don't like the LED because of the problem I listed earlier, but I mainly play at home so it is not a huge deal. This pedal would be better if there was a Bright/Warm switch so it would have even more tone capabilities. If this was lost I would buy it again, only if I could find it used, only because there are many Tubescreamer clones that are close to it, but not exact for alot cheaper. This is a very good pedal that everyone should get. I rate this a 8, because of the problems I have listed, but there are probably mods you could do to fix them. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ RG140 Roadstar II 9 Electric Guitars 08/21/2014