TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 02/02/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Ibanez: TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer
The TS9 reissue features the same careful hand wiring and analog circuitry as the original classic. Like almost all of the original TS9's, our reissue features the TA75558 IC chip. The TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer adds three new settings for increased low end crunch: +, Hot, and Turbo.
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.9
 9.2
 8.6
reviews (5) 15 comments vote for this gear:
TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer Reviewed by: JayJayE, on april 03, 2006

Purchased from: Ishbashi Music

Ease of Use: Exactly the same as a normal three knob Overdrive pedal (drive, tone, level) save the 4 way mode switch (TS9, +, Hot, Turbo). // 10

Sound: The TS9DX has mode modes, all of which sound slightly different. TS9 - exactly the same as a regular TS9 + TS9 with more crunch, hot - more mids and gain, turbo - more bass and gain. I haven't had it very long but I've been mostly using teh regular TS9 setting which is great (see TS9 reviews) and has a really soft warm sound. I find the other modes a bit "boomy" in my rig so I dont use them much for rhythm though the "turbo" and "hot" setting have a good lead sound, very Pink Floyd-ish. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like most decent pedals (Boss, ProcCo), it's built solid. I haven't used it for a gig yet but I imagine from the way its built that it's pretty reliabile. I have a couple of other Ibanez effects and I've never had any problems with them. // 10

Overall Impression: The TS9DX is more pricey than the TS9 but not by much. In my opinion this pedal, like a regular TS9 is best used with other distortions/fuzz or a tube amp. Despite the lack of usefulness of teh other modes (maybe I'm being unfair, I haven't had it long enough to really give them a chance), its still worth the extra 3000yen ($20-30) for the extra options. Just like the regular, it sounds better as part of an overall sound than a stand alone Overdrive. However working with other pedals and tube amps is something TS9S are famous for and they do it well. I use a lot of effects (I wont list them all) but most importanly I also use a ProCo Rat 2 distortion feeding into a Boss EQ. I've put the TS9DX in front of teh Rat 2 to feed an already overdriven signal to be distorted. It's working a charm. I still mostly use the Rat but the TS9DX is great for more gain for lead or a softer dirty sound when I need it. I use a Fender Strat and a "lawsuit" ES-335 into a Vox Valvetronix at home and a Fender Twin at rehersal or practice. My band plays indie/alternative/post-punk kind of music like the Cure or the Smiths. Keep in mind, the TS9DX is not a distortion pedal and will not get a Metallica, Slayer sound (on its own anyway). // 9

TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer Reviewed by: Kayfan, on september 21, 2007

Purchased from: Mothers Music

Ease of Use: The TS9DX Turbo Tube-Screamer is a signature "classic" Overdrive effect from the guitar manufacturer Ibanez. Getting a good sound out of the TS9DX is fairly simple there are four knobs which are fairly self explanatory. Drive: rotate to select the mount of "drive", drive increases the 'depth' of the distortion. Level: controls the output volume of the signal. Tone: controls the tone. Selector knob: allows selection between "Normal" TS9 operation, Mid-Boosted "+" mode, gain boosted "hot" mode, and the signature near distortion "turbo" mode. The manual was very simple and provided a few presets, however it did not give a good enough description of "what" the controls do. // 8

Sound: I use the TS9 with a Fender Cyclone II (Mustang/Jaguar equivalent), and a Peavey Valveking 100 Half-stack. Compared to a TS808 and a TS9 the TS9DX emits virtually no extraneous noises. As an Overdrive pedal the effect is somewhat 'less' to an untrained ear however to people Who can respect great tone the effect is awesome; however when running on batteries once voltage begins to drop off the effect begins to suffer a tiny bit. Virtually every artist in the history of Rock/Metal will have, or will use a Tube-screamer and it is very easy to replicate the sounds they produce. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would use this pedal at a gig without a backup, something I can't even say about a very "select few" of my Boss pedals. Durability shouldn't even need to be questioned on these pedals. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock/blues/metal, the TS9DX is a great match due to its high versatility. I have been playing for 5 years, I have numerous other effects pedals and I regularly test different ones out at music shops. Before purchasing this product test it against a TS808, TS9, and a Boss Overdrive first, this is a very personal item. I love this pedal because it is so versatile and it can do what the other tube-screamers cannot. My favorite feature is turbo mode, personally it sounds awesome. I recently did a Side by side comparison of what most people would consider the 'best' Overdrive pedals (TS9, TSMod9, TS808 reissue, and a Boss OD-1) although the TS808 was awesome it was slightly noisy and a bit on the pricey side for my tastes, which means that the TS9DX won since the other three I compared were not as versatile. The only thing I wish it had was a TS9 Modded chip but, with the cost of school I can't afford to send it away. If it were stolen I would write song about how much I missed my TS9DX. // 8

TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer Reviewed by: mr synyster g, on february 15, 2008

Purchased from: The Sound Shoppe

Ease of Use: This, overall, is a fairly easy pedal to use. It has 4 tone settings: TS9, +, HOT, and Turbo. Sometimes it's difficult to get a good tone out that isn't too bassy or powerful, but it really sounds great when used with other distortion or overdrives. The manual that mine came with was very helpful, as it had a few settings listed that had a nice sound to them, and it layed out well how to actually use the pedal. // 8

Sound: I usually use it with a Lyon practice amp, but I've used it a couple times with an Ibanez 50 watt amp. When you use the "hot" or "turbo" settings, the tone gets kind of muddy and doesn't articulate as well. The "TS9" setting offers a nice, well rounded tone, and the "+" setting gives a nice warm tone with a little more mid-range bite. If you turn the tone knob up all or nearly all the way, it gets a little fuzzy and doesn't sound so great. But if you rn it a distortion pedal, and don't turn the Drive up TOO high, it's perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a very dependable pedal. Nothing to bash on here at all really. I would definitely gig with this with no backup.It's rock solid construsstion is so perfect I would drop it out of a 3 story window and bet my house on it's not breaking. Trust me it's not gonna break! // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from nu-metal to metalcore to Death Metal and everywhere in between. This was probably meant for more bluesy stuff, but it goes great with metal. The bassiness of it adds a nice touch to any hard song. I've been playing for about 3.5 years now, maybe a little more, and I use a Lyon Distortion pedal (cheap but sounds great). If this pedal were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy another one, maybe another just in case. My favorite feature are the four tone settings. I do wish this had a little bit more crunch to it, but it's great the way it is. // 9

TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer Reviewed by: cscissorhands, on march 27, 2009

Ease of Use: Overall, this pedal is pretty simple and easy to use. It has 4 settings: TS9, +, Turbo, and HOT. It also has a Tone knob, a Level knob, and a Drive knob. The manual that came with it includes a few settings, but with the amp I use, (a 65W Crate) they all sound the same. // 9

Sound: I usually run this through a Crate 65W amp on both clean and dirty settings. The thing I love about this pedal is that you have four completely different tones in one. The TS9 setting gives you a nice midrange bite, while the + setting gives you the same with an added bass boost. The HOT setting is basically a bass boost with a slightly warmer midrange, and the Turbo setting is all crushing bass Overdrive. While you can experiment for a bit and get good sounds from each one, the +, HOT, and Turbo settings can be a bit overpowering and boomy when pushed too hard on most settings, causing buzz and unwanted fuzzy overtones. I find that when pushing the mids fairly hard on my amp, having the level all the way up on the pedal, and the Drive all the way down on the pedal, the tone all the way up, and using the TS9 setting, I can accurately reproduce James Hetfield's punchy, midrange heavy rhythm tone. However, it's very difficult to produce good Overdrive or crunch tones without making it too boomy or bite-your-head-off trebly. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is extremely rugged. I would run it over with a car, toss it off a cliff, then beat it with a hammer, and still gig without a backup. I have stomped the living chocolate out of this pedal so many times it would make your head spin, and it's held up for two years without so much as a nick in the paint. 'Nuff said. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all breeds of metal and hard rock, and I find this pedal is a good match for coloring my distorted tone, but not really for producing typical "overdriven" tones. I have been playing for 4 years and I have an Ibanez RGR320EX, a 65W Crate amp, an Original Dunblop Crybaby wah pedal, and an Epiphone SG Special. If this were stolen or lost, I would buy a few extra just in case it ever happened again. My favorite feature is the TS9 setting, because it adds such an awesome midrange boost to the Original tone, which can really bring nuance and definition to your playing. Overall, this is probably the third most valuable piece of equipment I own, next to my fingers and guitar. // 9

TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer Reviewed by: TheFireWithinPA, on february 02, 2010

Ease of Use: The TS9DX is very simple to use. It has four dials. The Drive dial, which controls the distortion depth and sustain, The mode dial (Turbo mod, Hot mode, + mode, and Original TS9 mode), The level dial, which controls output level, and the Tone dial. Very simple to use, and great for adjusting on the fly. // 10

Sound: I am running my Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, into the TS9DX, and straight into my Peavey VK100 combo. Sounds amazing for rounding off your tone. This pedal isn't for the peaople who want straight up distortion however. While it does give you a little bit of that distrotion feel, the main purpose of this pedal is to give you full tube sound, and it delivers in that area, BIG TIME! It is great for anyone looking to push their tube amp to the max, and to polish off your sound. Great for many different genres, for metal, to blus, to rock. I use it for metal, and it sounds amazing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a very well made pedal. Tt takes much abuse, and still sounds amazing. I trust this pedal 100%. I used to have a backup for everything, but not for this bad boy. I just recently dropped this off the stage (about 6 feet) on to concrete, and it STILL sounds amazing! // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from metalcore, to thrash, to rock, and it delivers in all categories. I've been playing 3 years, and own alot of gear. My basic live setup is my Schecter Hellraiser, Running straight into my TS9DX, into a Boss ns-2, into my VK100 combo. I would certainly buy another one if something were to happen to this one, but I don't see anything going wrong. I love the ease of use, and the sounds you can get of it. I do however, hate the feedback and buzz, but nothing a noise gate can't fix! // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ DT520 Destroyer 8.3 Electric Guitars 09/29/2014