WH-10 V2 Review

7.9
 8.8
reviews (3) pictures (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
WH-10 V2 Reviewed by: Hesh_09, on december 17, 2009

Ease of Use: The first thing you will notice about the WH-10v2 is that Ibanez has decided to make this out of a very sturdy die-cast metal casing. The controls are very simple, using the "Depth" knob on the left side of the pedal allows users to change the amount "wah" and also, when turned past 12 o'clock, it will boost your guitar signal up to 12db. It also has a "Guitar/Bass" switch to change the range of the frequencies affected by the pedal. Making it a great wah for both the guitar and bass player. The pedal also has a "Dry out" jack for a tuner or a wet/dry setup with 2 different amps. The Wh-10 will run on either a 9v battery or a 9v power supply. My one complaint is that the switch is very difficult to depress when trying to engage or bypass the pedal. This could prove to be a real problem if you have to have wah at just the right time during a song and you can't get the Switch to respond. // 8

Sound: Using a Stratocaster with Lace Sensor Gold's into a Vox AC15, this pedal sings. I have not owned an Original model, but comparing the reissue to sound clips of the Original pedal, they seem exactly the same. The wah sound is very vocal like, and it doesn't get really trebley like other wah pedals. For my money it's the best sounding wah for under $100. The WH-10v2 is also very compatible with other effects, I had great results running the WH10 into a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret, and then into a Malekko Ekko 616 Analog Delay. Which produced a great soloing tone. I wasn't fond of the "Bass" setting while using a guitar, but that option is open for those Who wish to experiment. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As I mentioned this pedal is in a very sturdy metal case, and so I don't have any worries when it comes to reliability, I haven't had the pedal for long, but I would definitely gig without a backup. All of the components are well soldered to the board. This pedal is built like a tank. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I think this pedal is great. It is not the end-all-be-all of wah pedals, but at a price tag of $99, it's easily about the best bang for your buck wah pedals on the market. I wish Ibanez would have used a different switch for the pedal, but that is my only complaint. If you are looking for a new wah pedal you should definitely watch out for this. // 9

WH-10 V2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 22, 2011

Ease of Use: The Ibanez WH-10 V2 is pretty easy to use and figure it out. It has a dial for depth, which controls how much Wah you want present in the mix. All the way down is a very subtle wah. All the way up is really present and loud. Also, as the depth is increased, a considerable amount of gain is added as well. After messing with it for a while, I pretty much keep the dial at about 30-40% (you don't need a lot unless you want a lot of gain with it). It has a Switch for whether you are playing guitar or bass. I am a guitarist myself so that's what I use. The instruction manual is easy to understand. You don't have to have too much technical knowledge to use this thing. // 9

Sound: At the moment, this is my only pedal. My electric guitar rig is my guitar, a Jackson Catalyst, this pedal, and my amp, a Vox AC4TV8. Whether it is noisy or not depends on what you set the depth at, and as I said before, I set it pretty low. I was initially interested in this because for a while I was a bit obsessed with John Frusciante. After playing with it for a bit, I came to enjoy it and bought it. Another factor in my purchasing of it was the price. I got it on sale. I think it does a pretty good job for an $80 pedal based on a pedal that goes for hundreds of dollars on ebay. I enjoy it quite a bit. I have no complaints. It is a great pedal for the price. Considering the other Wah pedals in this price range, I would say this is the best one in the price range. I've gone through 2 other Wah pedals before this one, so I have somewhat of an experience with wah. I had two different Dunlop crybabys, and I got rid of both of them pretty quickly because that infamous shrillness got to me. I think this pedal sounds great clean and dirty. It's got nice tone and is great for that RHCP funkiness. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Before buying this, I talked to a few people who had one. One guy was on his third one which shows that the first two broke, thus they were unreliable. However, by being on his third one, that showed how much he liked it. The only complaint I heard was that you sometimes have to press down very hard to turn it on. I have noticed that, too, but I found that I quickly got over it because you learn pretty early on how hard to press it and that muscle memory just stays with you. So now I don't really notice that. It's yet to break. I have a warranty on it. I take very good care of my belongings, especially my gear. So I can't really see why this would break. I am yet to gig with it (I am mostly a bedroom player for fun), but I would trust it if I needed it. // 8

Overall Impression: When I bought this, I was really into playing RHCP. I still enjoy it for that purpose, but it is also just a good all around Wah for other types of music. I mostly play low to mid gain music. A lot of classic rock. This pedal is good for that. I've been playing for about 3 years now. I love its tone. Compared to the other two crybabys I've had, this pedal is fantastic. Overall, I would say that in the price range that it's in, this pedal is well worth it and a great choice for ownership. // 9

WH-10 V2 Reviewed by: loop-de-luke, on july 14, 2011

Price paid: A$ 200

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Pretty easy to use, like any wah... If, like me, you are/were used to using Dunlop Crybabys, the toe Switch may seem a bit too hard to push down on to turn the thing on, but you get very used to it after a while and I actually prefer it. The controls are easy, simple and very diverse compared to standard Crybabys, as you can manually adjust the depth of the range and Switch between Guitar and Bass mode. // 8

Sound: The Wah sound is great, I much prefer it to the Crybaby Wah sounds. I used to use a Dunlop JH-1 Hendrix Wah and found it sounded too fake and "sticky"... It wasn't smooth enough for my liking. The Ibanez WH-10 V2 sounds close enough to the Original and has the added construction bonus of a metal case (as opposed to the Original which was plastic, for some dumb reason). It is very smooth and clean sounding, and the depth control allows heaps of diversity. The only problem I've found is that very soon it developed a crackling sound when the Wah is turned on and you rock it back and forth... But this seems to clear up after a while of using it in one session, and doesn't always happen. This might be due to loose dust or something getting caught inside it. I also like to use the Wah after distortion pedals instead of before, so create a more expressive and harsh Wah sound like John Frusciante did in RHCP... But with the V2 it somehow boosts the signal and makes it way too loud when used in this arrangement, I'm not sure if the Original does this but Frusciante didn't seem to have that problem! // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's metal, unlike the original... And I've dropped mine a couple of times and it's still working. Built like any good pedal. However, as I mentioned before it developed a crackling sound, but that seems to clear up after prolonged use... Might have been dirty inside or something. Very reliable so far, no major problems. Always use it at gigs and has never let me down! // 9

Overall Impression: Great pedal, great sound, hard as nails. Would be suitable for any genre of music. I play everything from funk to Indie to rock and alternative, even blues, and it works a treat! Got the smoothest Wah range I've ever heard in a Wah pedal, unlike Crybabys that tend to sound "sticky" like they hang on to 3 or 4 points through the Wah range and aren't so smooth sounding. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014