Freedom One Review

manufacturer: Intellitouch date: 01/25/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Intellitouch: Freedom One
The Freedom One is an excellent wireless system on a budget. It consists of two elements, a pedal tuner (roughly the size of a Boss tuner) that mutes the signal and a plastic wireless unit that has a 1/4 jack that you plug into your guitar.
 Ease of Use: 10
 4.4
 8.8
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Freedom One Reviewed by: Starking40, on january 25, 2013

Purchased from: Red Dog Music

Ease of Use: The Freedom One consists of two elements, a pedal tuner (roughly the size of a Boss tuner) that mutes the signal and a plastic wireless unit that has a 1/4 jack that you plug into your guitar. The unit is easy to set up. The battery compartments are all easy to access and the batteries are provided. It quite literally is a plug in and play scenario. Flip a switch on the pedal and on the unit. Any other details are explained in a manual that is clearly laid out and operable. It probably took me ten minutes to completely figure out. The pedal can be operated with a 9V power supply (I use a Voodoo Labs) or a 9V battery. The unit is powered by a single AAA battery. // 10

Sound: So for 90 I was expecting buzz, drop in and out at close range and all the other predispositions that I thought it would have: this is mostly due to the nearest competition costing at least 3x the price (Line 6). However I was shocked, not only did it have next to no buzz or artefacts, it could manage me walking about 40 feet away and continuing to play. As for signal quality, I A/B'ed with a cheap guitar cable, a Planet Waves cable and the wireless. The wireless not only increased signal volume but also brought out a lot more of the highs and lows in my sound. I was very much taken aback by the sudden change in sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is where the unit may lose some serious points, all the components of the system are plastic (probably why it's so cheap). The unit has a habit of not retaining its sturdiness so it flops down into range of your leg which can knock it off its axis. However it's easily snapped back into position and fixed. For gigs where I'm moving about or jumping everywhere I grab a bit of duct tape and tape the unit to my guitar. However I always have a cable in my bag just in case something goes horribly wrong. The unit also has a habit of buzzing rather badly when the batteries are low, luckily the unit has a led that makes you aware of any issues with the battery. However this is easily rectified by a single AAA battery (More than can be said for the 3x AA used to power the Line 6). However I've been gigging this system for 4 months and it has worked sublimely, albeit with a bit of a learning curve on how to respect it and ensure it doesn't get broken. // 6

Overall Impression: The Freedom One is an excellent wireless system on a budget. Having used it in about every gig I have played in the last 4 months I can vouch for the sound quality and usability. If it were stolen I would immediately replace it. I don't feel a need to buy the more powerful Line 6 systems until I am playing sold out arenas (Not likely) so I think this will suit me fine for now. The freedom of not having a cable is immense and I can only recommend this pedal to bands who see the need to have stage presence as paramount whilst retaining quality sound. For the few issues that come with this pedal I think it's an immensely worthwhile investment.

// 9

More Intellitouch reviews rating category latest review
+ Headstock Tuner 5.3 Guitar Effects 11/17/2011