Decimator Noise Reduction Review

manufacturer: ISP Technologies date: 05/02/2012 category: Guitar Effects
ISP Technologies: Decimator Noise Reduction
The Decimator G String provides a totally independent channel of Decimator noise reduction that can be inserted into a series effects loop or after a preamp section with the advantage of having the Decimator level detectors track the guitar signal directly.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.7
 9.2
 8.1
reviews (7) pictures (5) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Decimator Noise Reduction Reviewed by: a_hub10, on february 19, 2009

Purchased from: Uncle Sam's Jamms, Louisville Kentucky

Ease of Use: This pedal is very simple to use. All you have to do is turn it on and set the threshold knob to a setting that gets rid of your feedback and buzz. It can be placed either in front of the amp or in the effects loop. The manual isn't very helpful, so if you use stock amp distortion, try putting it in your effects loop. It should get rid of not only feedback, but also get rid of buzz. The only problem I have with this pedal is the fact that the knob is very sensitive, so it takes quite a while to dial it in perfectly. // 9

Sound: This pedal is absolutely wonderful. My local dealer happened to have my amp, Peavey Windsor, and if any of you have had experience with this amp, you know it can get a little noisey. Seeing the opportunity, I tried the ISP along with Boss NS-2 and MXR Smartgate. The other noise suppressors simply didn't do the job. Both others affected tone greatly, the NS-2 actually added some buzz to my signal. Neither of them responded greatly to staccato notes. The ISP affected my sound, by taking buzz and feedback out of it. It makes for a great sounding rig buy taking away all unwanted noise. It also never lost track during complicated Death Metal rhythms, every note was heard loud and clear. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this pedal for about three months now. I've used it at many shows and it has never failed. I've used it without a backup the whole time. It is very well constructed, appears to be all steel. It seems to be very reliable and could probably take a pretty good beating. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a little bit of everything, but play on stage with a Death Metal band. This pedal isn't really limited to any certain kind of music, it would be found useful in every genre. I play it through a Peavey Windsor with my Schecter C-1FR. I would definitely buy this pedal again. It is simply great, it is one product that has surpassed all my expectations. In my opinion it is the best noise reduction pedal on the market, and the chrome is a nice touch. // 10

Decimator Noise Reduction Reviewed by: HeavyMetalHokie, on march 10, 2009

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty simple with one know abd the Switch. The know controls the dB reduced aka the amount of noise you want to get rid of. I was a little hesitant when buying a noise reudction pedal because I heard they suck your tone, but I can't even tell a difference when it's on or off (besides the noise) // 10

Sound: When I bought a new tube amp (Bugera 333XL) and I had so much hiss and feedback that I could barely play (not to diss the amp it's fantastic). I finally bought one and it completely eliminated all noise, hum, and hiss. there's certianly more expensive noise reduction units, but I can't see how it could be better than this. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is build to last, it's simple durable and made of all metal. The battery life on the 9V was pretty short so I had to buy a wall adapter, but that's my only complaint. What else is there to say, it's about as simple as a pedal can be, I've had it for a year with no problems. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best possible noise reduction pedal. Yes it is expensive, but you truely get what you pay for. I play super high gain metal and it takes all the noise right out of it without cutting any of the tone. Awesome pedal, if you have noise I recommend you Pick one up immidately. I'm gonna give it a 9 because it has short battery life and it was pretty freakin expensive. // 9

Decimator Noise Reduction Reviewed by: carlo67, on december 21, 2009

Price paid: € 169

Purchased from: Thomann

Ease of Use: It's just a noise reducer with one single knob (my Boss NS has 3 knobs). To set up the pedal just switch on your gears, listen to noise and turn counterclockwise the knob until it became undetectable. Done these steps, just play a note (I usually play 12th fret of the high-E/first string) and turn clockwise the knob to have the note plays as long as you need. End of the job. The only thing that I really want will be memory for the position of the knob (but I suppose this will impact in depth the project behind the pedal). It is not easy to change the battery but I use a Boss power supply so I'm not concerned with this. // 9

Sound: Having used Boss NS-3, Boss GT-10, Zvex Box of Metal integrated noise gate and some low cost multi-effects (mainly DigiTech) I just say this is the best sounding one. Switching the Decimator on/off make no noise and doesn't impact the sound of my gear (BC Rich KKV Signature, Taylor Solidbody Standard, Charvel So-Cal Style 1 amped by Blackstar HT-5 Combo or Marshall JVM-205C) but just the noise. It cuts the tails of the notes that I play (but I think this will be unavoidable with a noise gate). Decimator is by far the best noise gate that I ever used. The pedal works its best before the amp and not in the effect loop and this is a problem for me because the Marshall is very noise with the distortion cranked up (Orange and red mode of the Overdrive channel). My rating comes after two months of ownership of the pedal so I'm confident about what I'm talking about. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm not gigging Live but It feels well build: metal case, solid switch, heavy enough to not fly away if you stretch the cables connected. If I will gig live, playing thrash metal, I for sure pack another one (I'm waiting a Decimator G-String Pedal: the big brother of this one), not because I'm questioning the reliability but just because I can't play that kind of music without a noise gate (or maybe I'm not skilled enough to do that :-) so I need a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I use the Decimator pedal for heavy distorted sound (Metallica, Slayer, Death Angel, etc. type of music) and It's the best one I ever owned. I try it, in my home, with Boss NS-3, Boss GT-10, Zvex Box of Metal integrated noise gate and the noise gate modules of cheap DigiTech multieffects and the Decimator clearly rules by far. The Boss Ns-3 impacts heavly the sound also when switched off and isn't so easy to use, GT-10 it's uneffective and digital, the Zvex is by far too aggressive and has very strange effects (it cuts the tail of the note but the note has some strange come back: so the tails is fading out and coming back for 2-3 times before going away forever!). The Zvex is OK only for fast paced rithm guitar with palm muting. The Decimator is by far the best but also the more expensive ... I already bought, but not yet received, its big brother (Decimator G-String Pedal) so: Yes, I will buy again if stolen or lost (actually I already done that. I really like that it is easy to set-up, doesn't impact the sound when bypassed and does its job very well. I don't like the cost (169 euros it's a lot of money for a noise reducer) and that it is not so effective in the effect loop of my Marshall. Decimator cost twice the Boss and it's really at least twice better, in my opinion. So I give it a 9 (I'm against the 10s: nothing is perfect). // 9

Decimator Noise Reduction Reviewed by: fretman5000, on june 29, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Couldn't be easier to use this pedal, just turn the single knob until the noise goes away and you're set. The pedal does the rest and will track your playing. It's a really cool pedal, and it can tell the difference between noise and sustained notes, so notes you hold out don't get cut out. // 10

Sound: I am currently using one in from of a wah, overdrive, and EQ, so my chain gets noisy easily. The ISP easily takes out all the noise. It also removes any noise from the guitar pickups, if you have a noisy guitar, like some Fender guitars. I have the knob at about halfway up, so the pedal can definitely handle a ton of feedback if needed. There's nothing that does a better job out there than this pedal. It's definitely worth it for the money and it really completes a pedalboard if you have a lot of effects. // 9

Reliability & Durability: No doubt that this thing can withstand a beating. This pedal's built like a tank, as are all comparable pedals, like Boss. Same exact construction as comparable Boss or DigiTech stompboxes, just to give you an idea. Not much else to say, I would definately gig with it and not worry about it going out, I would just recommend taking advantage of the 9v power jack instead of using batteries, then the thing's unstoppable. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall it's a fantastic piece of equipment. Any guitarist could use one of these, it's not just for metal or other heavy gain stuff, it really cleans up the signal for any type of music. I've had this pedal for a few months now and I have no complains or concerns. Luckily I found mine at a low price, that was the only thing that concerned me at first, but if I needed a replacement, I would have to get another one. There's just nothing that can do a better job. I assure you this pedal performs better than the Boss NS-2 or the MXR Smart Gate. Very simple yet effective pedal that won't let you down. // 9

Decimator Noise Reduction Reviewed by: AgileGhost, on october 31, 2011

Ease of Use: One knob, that's it, and yet, that's all you need. All you need to do is turn up your amp and let the feedback come on, turn on the pedal, and adjust the threshold until it's quiet. Simple as that, so it gets a 10. // 10

Sound: I use the Decimator with a Washburn equipped with a Duncan Invader and an SH-4 through a Peavey Vypyr 120H/Valveking 412 Slant. I play in Drop A, and have the gain almost maxed, and yet, this can keep it 100% quiet, even at max volume. It does NOT effect the sustain or clarity of your notes, and doesn't suck any of your tone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. It's very durable, and even scratch resistant. However, I would put in new batteries before ANY gig, just to be safe. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a beast of a noise reducer. It decimates the competition (pun intended) and for any high-gain lovers ot there, this pedal is a must. I've tried the Boss NS-2 and the MXR Smart Gate, and this blows them both out of the water. On top of that, it's not much more expensive than the Smart Gate, maybe $10. I know everybody says this, but I would replace it immediately if it was lost or stolen, and I recommend this to any metalhead out there with too much feedback. // 10

Decimator Noise Reduction Reviewed by: njpg, on january 16, 2012

Ease of Use: This is at once my most expensive pedal so far, the easiest to use, and my second favorite. There is nothing to it. It has one knob, and if your rig is noisy you just insert it right after wherever the source of the noise is in your chain and adjust the knob until the noise goes away but you still have as much sustain as you want. I bought the floor model because it was the last one they had, and I didn't get a manual with it, but there is no need for one. At all. // 10

Sound: My setup is the reason for the pedal's home in my chain. I have two very noisy pieces of electronic equipment: the P90 pickups of my guitar, and a Dunlop Crybaby. I love both of these things, but I also use a compressor, which makes their hum unbearable without a noise gate. I asked a knowledgeable person what the best noise gate was, and he instantly said "The Decimator!", so I saved up and bought one. I put it second in line, immediately after the Crybaby and before the compressor, turned it and the Compressor on (so I could hear the hum at its gnarliest), and adjusted the knob slowly until it went away (this tends to be at about -47 to -40 dB for my rig). The result is excellent. Besides killing the hum, the Decimator is very selective about what it cancels and how it does so. Not only is the attack of my notes untouched, but the decay - when it finally gets quiet enough to be silenced by the pedal - isn't just cut off abruptly: it's faded out slowly, as if there's someone in a little studio in there, editing it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Just 10. // 10

Overall Impression: My whole reason for getting a noise gate pedal was to be able to add sustain to the notes of my Godin LG SP90 with a compressor, without magnifying the noise associated with P90 pickups as a Compressor would normally do. The Decimator does a better job of this than I even expected it to. Of course, this means that I am now totally dependent on the Decimator and would have to get a new one if it was lost. Quality of sound and tone are of huge importance to me. I use a Fryette Valvulator I unity gain buffer/power source to keep my signal clear through my chain, a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone (my favorite pedal), an Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS9/808 mod, my third favorite), and an MXR 10-band EQ pedal to shape the sound of the Tube Screamer. If your guitar uses any kind of single-coil pickups and you use a compressor, I'm here to tell you that an ISP Decimator is worth every penny you'll pay for it and more. // 10

Decimator Noise Reduction Reviewed by: losing battle, on may 02, 2012

Purchased from: guitar center

Ease of Use: Although it has one knob it is not the easiest thing in the world to get a usable tone out of it because of how fickle the knob is, also it does not like having to adjust to higher input levels so you need to adjust this accordingly. So if you have an od in your chain and decide to use it you might as well have the od on the whole time, because if its over the threshold the decimator might as well not even be in your chain. And if you want to switch between on and off for the od and you still want the decimator your tone will suffer pretty severely for it. This pedal does one thing and it does it a little too well. So if you can turn the od and the decimator off and on at the same time. // 5

Sound: My set up is a Gibson LP into a Boss PC3 > a Danelectro V1 Transparent OD > Pro Co Turbo Rat > Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe > BBE Two Timer > Tc Electronics Trinity Reverb > BBE Sonic Stomp > ISP Decimator > Ampeg V50 H. The one con of this pedal is the higher you turn it up the more it chokes your tone, in particular your upper mid's/ highs in that the length of the sustained note is shortened by more than half. I can very easily sustain a note for 10+ seconds and with the decimator turned up it gets cut down by half and if high enough it will silence or choke your tone to very unacceptable levels I managed to get a weird tremello effect a few times. The easiest solution is turn your other things down. One of the things I really do not like about this pedal is that it appears to limit my delay repeats and my reverb trails so I need to be mindful of this and turn it off for when I want my trippy shenanigans. I will note that it does appear to be a more effective pedal (meaning that you don't have to turn it up as high) with a battery or independent power supply because it does work better isolated. (Warning this thing does eat batteries pretty quickly.) Although this review appears to be very negative the pedal allows me to run my amp/pedals at much higher volumes and if it is just the guitar and amp I can dime the whole amplifier have the pedal at 9 o'clock and be dead silent (assuming I am using clean electricity). // 7

Reliability & Durability: I had it for 6 months and has not failed me yet. The housing is sturdy because it is the Boss casing. I have yet to gig with this thing but I can assure you if I were I would be using fresh batteries or an isolated power supply just for the sake of consistency. I noticed the cleanliness of one's power greatly affects this pedal and your need adjust your knob. // 7

Overall Impression: I play metal so this thing is pretty much essential for having nice tight palm muted riffs, especially with the heaping loads of gain and volume I do apply my amp. When I bought this I compared it to a Boss NS-2 and it is absolutely no comparison the Decimator destroyed it. I would rather see the DigiTech battery hatch though because that would make changing a battery that much. This is a great pedal if you know how it behaves and can do some minor adjusting accordingly. // 7

More ISP Technologies reviews rating category latest review