JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Review

8.5
reviews (4) pictures (4) 12 comments vote for this gear:
JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Reviewed by: GrizzlyFnAdams6, on january 13, 2012

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: These pedals and it's maker, Joyo, have been causing a stir as of late in the pedal world (or at least my part of it) for their amazingly good sounding clones of higher priced pedals that not only sound scarily similar to their templates but that are also true bypass as well. Deciding to take the plunge I bought a couple of these pedals and this was the first one I put through its paces. This is a very simple and obvious clone of a Tube Screamer and even posses the a JRC4588 chip, which, to my ears sounds VERY nice. This pedal has three knobs: tone, volume, and drive. Each of them function smoothly throughout their turning radius and produce the expected boosting/cutting response proportional to the direction they are turned. The pedal also has the classic latch switch that turns it on and off upon depression. It's a very simple and straight forward pedal that can be powered by battery or standard DC plug and has a red LED letting you know when it is engaged or not as well as your standard In and Out for 1/4 cables. // 7

Sound: This is where most "cork sniffers" will want to shield their eyes because this pedal performs GREAT! No, I'm not talking "Well, for 40 dollars... It's great!", NO, simply great by any standards. I stacked this against a TS8 and could produce the exact same sounds at almost the exact knob positions. I didn't have to "work" to make them sound similar, they naturally were almost identical. This pedal even produced some very nice subtle nuances that the TS8 lacked, in my opinion. I ran this pedal through a Fender Deville 2x12 also going into a Marshall 4x12 1960 cab. The tone knob is very functional and useful for dialing in either a creamier, smoothed out tone or one that posses a stronger "bite" to it. The volume can also be tweaked to cleanly Overdrive your amp, or simply boost another pedal easily depending on your application. Now, you get a true bypass pedal that sounds exactly like what it's cloning, has the full function of what it's cloning, and for much cheaper? This is a winner folks. I normally never give very high ratings to gear as I find most don't deserve it, but when it comes to sound quality overall, this pedal is a solid performer. It currently resides next to my Fulltone Plimsoul and I don't plan on moving it anytime soon. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It comes encased in a solid green, metal enclosure with an albeit slightly plain design. The knobs are strongly seated, the jacks are sturdy and show no sign of movement when inserting or removing lines in and out. The foot switch also clicks on and off without any noticeable problems. It feels sturdy overall and I have already put it through hours of continuous studio time without a fault. I say it ranks among your Boss' and EHX's in terms of durability as well as reliability. // 8

Overall Impression: Wow. Is all I can say. I know it can be hard to mess up a tubescreamer type circuit but this pedal is simply great. If you want something with more options than Tone, Volume, and Drive, then look elsewhere but if you need something to fill in your basic and classic tubescreamer needs, this is just as good, if not better taking into consideration the price, as any of the competitors out there. I know these pedals will soon become the next sought after item and I'm glad I've been able to snatch these up before they raise their prices! I don't give overly positive reviews unless the item deserves, and believe me, this one does. Pick one up for yourself as soon as possible, you won't regret it. // 8

JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Reviewed by: teleman97, on february 16, 2012

Price paid: £ 29.99

Purchased from: Amazon.co.uk

Ease of Use: The Joyo Vintage Overdrive is a very easy to use pedal. If you have ever owned any pedal before you will most likely be able to use it, it has drive, tone and volume knobs. There is not much else to say in this department. // 10

Sound: First of all I use the pedal in conjunction with my Line 6 POD HD300, a custom made treble booster and my Vox Valvetronix. It is meant to be a Maxon/Ibanez TS808 clone and I have played an Ibanez TS808 and it comes very close but it only gets an 8/10 as it can not replicate the subtle nuances of the Ibanez although for the price it can not be beaten. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used this in a lot of gigs and it worked flawlessly. I have a soft stomp so I don't have any worries about breaking the switch but I don't know how it would hold up against a heavy stomp. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great pedal and I would easily pay 50 or more for the pedal. I also own the Joyo Ultimate Drive (a clone of the Fulltone OCD) and it is also a wonderful pedal for the price. // 9

JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 03, 2012

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: Easy enough to use... three knobs. Twist em', hit the foot switch and let er' rip. Not sure how to get 500 characters into this field. // 10

Sound: I only gave it a "8" because "10" would indicate "holy grail" and I have yet to find that in any pedal and this pedal does have one draw back that I will get to... I play around with OD pedals quite a bit. I'm very picky when it comes to my pedals. I've owned an OCD, Jekyll & Hyde, Green Rhino, Hardwire Tube Overdrive, Fryette SAS, TC Electronic VPD-1 (discontinued) and I've experimented with many more. One thing I have noticed with many or most OD pedals is that they design them with over-kill in the range of the knobs; they have far more range than is usable. For instance, the tone or "drive" knob usually goes into a territory that just isn't usable so what's the point? The Joyo JF-01 is usable across the entire range of all 3 knobs. Some would argue that having that wide of a range offers a wider range of "variety"; well, a grocery store could sell rotten bananas in the name of offering variety but is it really a good idea? The best adjective I could use to describe this pedal's tone is "smooth" or "usable". You don't have to muck around with it for hours on end to find a "sweet spot", like many "boutique" pedals. It simply doesn't have that "harsh" sound regardless of where you set the knobs. The harmonics are even and smooth. With the Drive set to zero, it adds a nice "hair" to your clean sound and it's touch sensitive so you can get a near-clean sound just by lightening your touch. The one negative I can say about this pedal is it does attenuate your low-end. With my 2007 LP Standard on the neck pickup, I set my rig for a nice, jazzy sound with nice low-end and clear highs but when I kick in the Vintage OD, it cuts some of the bottom out. It's not a deal breaker by any means but if it weren't for that I would have given it a "9". // 8

Reliability & Durability: The case seems solid enough but I haven't taken it apart to see if the solder joints are as shoddy as some say. I'm handy with a soldering iron so if I have to re-solder some connections, no big deal. It's still worth the effort. What good is a pedal that's built like a tank if it sounds awful? The knobs seem to have a good feel with medium resistance. The bottom is partially rubber covered with the exception of the battery area. The next chance I get, I'm going to open it up and see what's under the hood. // 7

Overall Impression: I play primarily classic rock and southern rock and have no real need for heavy distortion. For what I play, the tone, volume and level of Overdrive from this pedal is ideal for me. I've been playing for 20+ years and currently own a 2007 Gibson LP Standard, a Dillior DR-45 and a Samick Strat copy. I have an old Peavey Deuce with 2x12 Black Widow speakers and 120 watts of teeth-loosening power. I also have a THD Flexi-50 on an Avatar 2x12 cab. My pedals consist of: Hardwire Tube Overdrive, Fryette SAS, DigiTech Harmony Man, Ernie Ball VPD1 volume pedal, Hardwire Reverb, Peterson StroboStomp II, TC Electronic Corona Chorus, HBE Uno-MOS and a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde.

// 8

JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Reviewed by: blackreach18, on may 16, 2014

Price paid: C$ 42

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Manual has 2 paragraphs. There are 3 knobs and it's very simple to use. So putting 500 characters here is pointless. // 9

Sound: As far as the sound goes coming from the pedal, all I can say is that it does what it is supposed to do. Sound wise it is a good tube screamer clone. Sadly this is probably the only positive thing I really have to say about it. For the most part I ran the pedal alone into my practice amp which is a Fender Mustang 3. Mimicking a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Playing an Ibanez RG870. I have never been one for batteries so I powered the pedal by a Dunlop DC Multi Power Brick, which as it turns out seemed to have issues all of its own.

The first time I plugged the pedal in my amp went silent. I went to inspect my cables to make sure everything was plugged in correctly. I wiggled the cable and the sound came on. But would also keep cutting out if the cable moved in any way. I opened up the back cover and seen the problem. 1 - the battery clip wires where wrapped in the output jack, with one wire having a small section exposed. 2 - some clear gel applied to a soldered point on the foot switch and seeped and dried on the end of the input jack. After removing the excess gel and moving the battery clip to a safe place, the pedal started acting normal. For now.

I soon discovered that if you wanted to turn the tone knob up past 3 o clock you would only be greated by a loud and very shrill high pitched noise. As well as the same noise if the volume was up past 3 and the tone past 12... Honestly for the money I paid I wasn't expecting perfection.

Before writing this review I ended buying a Voodoo Labs pedal Power 2 Plus. I hooked the pedal up to it and all the high pitched noises vanished. May be the pedal or may be the better power supply. All I know is that the Dunlop was never that great to begin with.

If you want a tube screamer that is cheap then this is an option but if you can afford to get an actual TS then do it and stay away from this thing because while cheap and does in fact sound pretty good it is not the same quality as far as the build goes by any means. If I didn't have these issues I would have given it a better rating. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I keep seeing people saying/writing that this is built like a tank. "The lie detector determined... that was a lie." It has an aluminum case which is better than cheap plastic but all the pieces seem to be placed in there with out any worry of whether or not they are secure. I get the impression that if this thing fell off a shelf the case would fine but everything inside would be done. As far as I know most things inside a tank are usually safe.

I don't think this thing will last but that is just my opinion. If treated right and taken care of it should be fine. // 5

Overall Impression: I don't have a particular type of music I play I just play for fun. Sound wise (when working) it sounds great and isn't to loud at high gain. If it where stolen I'd buy a real TS9 before looking at these again. Sound and price are worth the 42 bucks but you get what you pay for. I'm sure not every Joyo has these issues but I have never had any of these issues before with any other pedal. This review is based of my opinions on what I have seen from this pedal. It's not bad for the money but don't expect perfection, make sure you inspect the pedal if you do decide to buy one. Trust your own judgement and your opinions and don't really on misleading YouTube vids to make a decision. // 6

More Joyo reviews rating category latest review
+ JF-13 AC Tone 8.9 Guitar Effects 05/07/2014