JF-05 Classic Chorus Review

7.8
review (1) pictures (4) user comments vote for this gear:
JF-05 Classic Chorus Reviewed by: BaptizedinFire, on july 13, 2012

Purchased from: WTF Accessories

Ease of Use: The Classic Chorus from Joyo is about as easy to use as a chorus pedal gets. One knob for Rate, one for Width, and there you go. The manual is not much to speak of, but it's rather superflous for such a simple pedal. After tweaking the knobs just a few times, you'll know exactly how to use this baby. // 10

Sound: I am using this pedal with my Vox AC30, and it really does enhance the sound just like a good pedal chorus should. It does sound a little bit different depending on what guitar I'm using, and I absolutely prefer to use the Classic Chorus with my Fender Strat rather than with my humbucker guitars. You can achieve quite a beautiful chime with this pedal while playing through single coils on a clean setting. However, subtlety is the key here. I don't think that this is the pedal for you if you love using all kinds of exaggerated chorus settings, as it's a bit too simplistic for that. But a moderate fan of the effect, such as yours truly, will not be disappointed! // 7

Reliability & Durability: This does seem fairly well built, but I know many pedals that I would feel more secure with. I haven't had it for a long time, but I've set my expectations moderately low and I'm hoping that Joyo can prove me wrong. If my playing really relied on the chorus effect (which it doesn't), then I think I would get something way more expensive and sturdy; but in that case, the Classic Chorus would definitely serve as my backup pedal! // 6

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of different music, from rock to pop to Indie to metal, and I the Classic Chorus is a welcome addition to my pedal board! I've always had a thing for 80s music, and that decade really was the golden era of the chorus; The Joyo Classic Chorus helps you pull off everything from "This Charming Man" and the Cocteau Twins to Metallica's "One" and the clean guitars on the "Operation: Mindcrime" album, all for a laughably low price compared to most other chorus pedals. I'm not the biggest fan of distorted chorus though, so I can't really comment on that. As I said, a complete effects wiz could probably use a more expensive chorus to take the chorus effect to extremes which this pedals does not reach. But even then, this makes for a damn fine backup pedal, and if you're all about subtlety like me, then I would certainly encourage you to check this out and see if you like it as much as I do! // 8

More Joyo reviews rating category latest review
+ JF-01 Vintage Overdrive 8.5 Guitar Effects 05/16/2014