JF-07 Classic Flanger Review

manufacturer: Joyo date: 02/08/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Joyo: JF-07 Classic Flanger
It's a great pedal for the price, but there are better flangers. Not to say this is bad as it isn't, but I think it's suited to anyone that doesn't use a flanger a lot or on a budget.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Ease of Use: 5.5
 7.5
 7.3
 7.7
reviews (2) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
JF-07 Classic Flanger Reviewed by: martinsmith99, on august 07, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Once again the Joyo manual is useless, but it's a straight forward effects pedal. This one is not the easiest to get a usable sound out of, with many settings sounding quite poor. Having said that, a bit of experimentation and I found a few possibilities, but it would be improved if any setting was usable. Because of this I give it a 5. // 5

Sound: I'm using an Aria 'Super Strat' type of guitar, going into a Laney practice amp. The effect is not overly strong, nor is too weak, but it's not as 'whooshy' or dirty as other flangers I have tried. It does give a noticeable volume boost. I use this with a Vox Saturator/Boss SD-2 going to a Joyo California Sound then into the flanger. It sounds quite good, but not amazing. Clean, it probably sounds best, giving a a chorus-type effect, but a little thicker; overdriven sounds quite good, but with the regen turned up there's an odd sound which creeps intermittently, which lets this pedal down a bit. It is of course, like the other Joyos, true bypass. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The case is a tank, so I don't expect this to be a problem unless you are an ape with your equipment. I cannot comment on the wiring or the rest of the internals, but I've used mine for a couple of months without issue. I'd use it as a gig, but as it's not an 'always-on' effect I wouldn't bother with a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic/heavy rock, a bit of metal and whatever takes my fancy at the time. I played for 5 years before giving up and have recently started playing again after more years than I care to remember. If it was stolen, I would only buy another for home-use. I will continue to use this until it breaks as it's good enough for a rare effect. Joyo issue their pedals with a 9v battery (good for them!), but I run it off a DC brick. I've given an overall score of 7 as it's a great pedal for the price, but there are better flangers. Not to say this is bad as it isn't, but I think it's suited to anyone that doesn't use a flanger a lot or on a budget. // 7

JF-07 Classic Flanger Reviewed by: joe.guynan, on february 08, 2013

Price paid: £ 29.95

Purchased from: Coda Music

Ease of Use: This unit is a completely stock Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger. I am no Stranger to effects, but to be honest, I had to read the instruction leaflet to find out which characteristic was affected by each control, and to be honest, I wish the would have named them according to their instructions. There instructions is just a one page leaflet, but to be honest, once you know what each nob does, just use your ears. It is extremely easy to use and has true bypass, so there will be no tone sapping when the pedal is disengaged. // 6

Sound: As I took delivery of the pedal yesterday, I have only had a change to play it through my Marshall MG15 FX with my Epiphone Les Paul Plus. Running the pedal directly into the front of the amp (input stage) over my usual patch (Gain 2 with Reverb/Delay) there was only a small amount of noise which was surprising for such a cheap pedal. It does knock a little of the bass out a bit, but that is to be expected with a heavy modulation effect. It took me a about a minute to dial in the sound I was looking for, and I was very pleased with the end result. I was going for the Joe Bonamassa "Blue And Evil" sound and achieved a very close approximation. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have only had the pedal for a day, but it appears to be built fairly well. Having not had it long, I can't really comment about my dependency of this pedal, and its reliability. I can only say that it appears to be well made, at this stage, I would take it to a gig without a backup as I only need it for two tracks in the current set. However I don't take backup pedals for any of my gear. Lets be honest, not many of us can afford to buy backup equipment. If you have a pedal board that cost over 1500 and has taken some years to get it right, you generally can't afford to build a backup board! // 7

Overall Impression: Just for the record this is the Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger with the Hawker Harrier Jump Jet on the case, not the Martial Arts guys. I am not sure of the difference, but the this one seems to be the one to have. I bought this pedal as I did not want to shell out over 100 GBP for a decent pedal, like a Fulltone, just for a couple of Bonamassa tracks and for the money it does the job extremely well. I have not yet played it through my stage rig (Marshall DSL 100 stack and Fender Blues DeVille in tandem with custom pedal board with true bypass loops and separate FX loop switching). If it were stolen I would probably buy it again as for the money I can't Imagine I would get a better pedal. // 8

More Joyo reviews rating category latest review
+ JF-01 Vintage Overdrive 8.5 Guitar Effects 05/16/2014