JF-09 Tremolo Review

manufacturer: Joyo date: 07/11/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Joyo: JF-09 Tremolo
Tremolo can be relevant in just about any genre, and the Joyo JF09 will certainly do the job just as well as most other pedals.
 Ease of Use: 9
review (1) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
JF-09 Tremolo Reviewed by: BaptizedinFire, on july 11, 2012

Purchased from: WTF Accessories

Ease of Use: Incredibly easy pedal to use, as one would expect from such a "simple" effect. You've got two knobs, one for intensity and one for speed ("rate"). Joyo's manuals are quite useless, but that doesn't matter as you will certainly understand this pedal right away even though it's your very first pedal. However, I don't feel like giving a tremolo pedal without a tapping button as an alternative to the speed knob a perfect score. I don't know if there is any pedal with that function out yet, but a rhythmic effect pedal without rhythmic operation can never be perfect in my opinion! // 9

Sound: I am using this pedal together with a few other effects through a Vox AC30. As far as tremolos go, this one actually doesn't sound worse than more expensive brands! To be fair, a tremolo pedal doesn't really have that many aspects in which the sound can differ. The Joyo gives me all the tremolo I need, and it doesn't mess with the other effects. Well, the AC30 can actually give me some even more subtle tremolo, but still the Joyo's range is far broader and better. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have not had this pedal for very long, so time will tell if it's a durable pedal or not. Just looking at it and touching it doesn't give me the impression of being built as a tank, the way my MXR pedals do. If I was going to headline a show at the Wembley Stadium or something, I don't think I would trust this pedal enough not to bring a backup, but I'm definitely gonna use it as much as I can and see how it goes. I'm not one of those silly people who will doubt anything that happens to have been made in China. // 6

Overall Impression: Musically, I play pretty much whatever someone asks me to, although I'm mostly settled around rock, blues, metal and some indie. But a tremolo can be relevant in just about any genre, and the Joyo JF09 will certainly do the job just as well as most other pedals. You can go from a very subtle, swaying tone, to "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" and even the choppy "helicopter" sound with both knobs maxed out. Having bought this, it seems ridiculous to me why one would want to spend 100 dollars on a tremolo as long as this baby is an option for one fourth of that price. I would totally spend 25 dollars again for a replacement if I lost this one. // 9

More Joyo reviews rating category latest review
+ JF-01 Vintage Overdrive 8.5 Guitar Effects 05/16/2014