JF-14 American Sound Review

manufacturer: Joyo date: 09/04/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Joyo: JF-14 American Sound
This pedal is remarkable for both its price and quality of sound and construction and am very pleased about my purchase.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.2
 8.8
 9.5
review (1) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
JF-14 American Sound Reviewed by: EncoreBlade, on september 04, 2012

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: Well, the manual is pretty basic and just tells you what each knob does. The pedal is definitely easy to use. Seeing as how it's an amp simulator pedal, it's got highs, mids, and lows that you can adjust as well as a level/volume, voice, and Drive controls. Each knob is clearly labeled and so it shouldn't be super difficult to achieve the sound you want out of it. // 10

Sound: My chain is: American Fender Strat into a CAE Wah, into Ernie Ball Jr Volume, into an Ibanez TS9, into the Joyo American Sound, and then into my TC Electronic Nova Repeater. From there it just goes out to the mixer/PA or into my audio interface for recording. The sound of the pedal is really great. I was looking for an amp-in-a-box kind of thing, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money. The amp it's supposed to emulate is a Fender Deluxe '57 according to the site, and I believe it does it very well. You can get a really good Fender clean as well as some good crunch and overdriven sounds if you mess with the voicing and drive. It also feels really well, not to the level of an actual tube amp, but it feels and sounds pretty darn close to my Blues Jr. I did notice some hissing when I turned up the Voice and Drive knobs, but hardly noticeable if you turn then just a little bit down. I did do some sound demos which you can view by going to the links provided.

Just messing around with the pedal and it's settings. The first 45 seconds is my guitar just DI'ed into the interface. When you see the waveforms get slightly bigger, that when the pedal is engaged. I basically just go through various kinds of sounds you could get. EQ I believe was: Low - 6; Mid - 7; High - 7 and was kept the same as I adjust the Level, Voice, and Drive knobs.
Earlier I had done a sound demo with my Blues Jr, and I figured I could use it to compare the pedal with the amp type it's trying to emulate. So this file is both the Blues Jr (mic'ed with a 57) and the Joyo. For the rhythm parts, the Joyo is panned hard right, and the amp is panned hard left. The solo/lead parts both have a TS9 engaged. The Blues Jr is the first solo tone, then the Joyo, then back to the Blues Jr, then it ends with the Joyo. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I brought it out to practice and plugged straight into the mixer. It seemed durable and I didn't get any weird sounds so for right now it's really reliable. The metal casing is a big +1 for me and although it was made in China, the hardware seems to be in good shape. It felt good to plug in as well the knobs feeling secure. Since I bought it to use as a backup, I'll always have it on me so it'll have to stand a lot of travelling. // 8

Overall Impression: I play in a Christian Rock band, but on my own I play a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers and various blues, jazz, and alternative rock type songs. I've been playing for about 5 years now and compared to my Blues Jr tube amp, this pedal sounds and feels very similar to my Blue Jr. This really adds to the reputation of Joyo and I may purchase another pedal from them. If it were lost or stolen I'd most definitely buy another one since it's super cheap and sounds really well. If there was one thing I wish it had, is that I would be able to use this as a preamp of sorts, but since its cab emulation is on all the time with no way to turn it off, I won't be able to make it sound good through my guitar amp. Overall though, this pedal is remarkable for both its price and quality of sound and construction and am very pleased about my purchase. // 9

More Joyo reviews rating category latest review
+ D-SEED Dual Channel Digital Delay 7.8 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014