JF-15 California Sound Review

9.5
review (1) pictures (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
JF-15 California Sound Reviewed by: martinsmith99, on july 09, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: The manual is pretty useless for Joyo pedals, but the pedals are easy to figure out so this is a moot point. Low, Mid, High EQ controls and Level, Voice & Drive controls. The Voice control seems to control the Drive on the mids. I've scored a 9 and not 10, only because of the pointless manual. // 9

Sound: I tend to keep the High & Low at 3 O'clock and the Mid at 9. With the Level at 12, the Voice at 2 and the Drive at 10 O'clock I get a slightly overdriven/dirty-clean sound which is very big (considering). I've not noticed any noise from it. The controls give a touch more than you ever need; I can't imagine anyone using any of the effects on full. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems well built, but I've had it less than a month. The case is metal, it has a true bypass. It came with its own 9v battery (nice one Joyo!), but I run it off a DC power brick, so I have no idea of battery life. No problems yet and I'd use it at a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and touch on metal. I'm returning to guitar from a 15 year break; my Laney Linebacker practice amp is a long way from the Marshall JCM 600 & 4x12 that I owned when I was playing in bands. I was looking for something to give a fuller sound and this does the trick. I bought this model after checking out a few of Joyo amp sims on YouTube. I wish there was a boost switch for the Drive so I could swap between clean and driven sounds. I use a Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive for driven rhythm & lead work. It seems to work well in this setup. // 9

More Joyo reviews rating category latest review
+ D-SEED Dual Channel Digital Delay 7.8 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014