JP-02 Power Supply 2 Review

manufacturer: Joyo date: 08/16/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Joyo: JP-02 Power Supply 2
It comes with a manual, it tells you how to clean it, a diagram showing what parts are which, and what pedals you can plug in with it.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.9
 7.1
reviews (3) pictures (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
JP-02 Power Supply 2 Reviewed by: George Juggles, on november 09, 2012

Ease of Use: An isolated Power Supply is an important piece of equipment for a musician with pedals. It comes with a manual, it tells you how to clean it, a diagram showing what parts are which, and what pedals you can plug in with it (nine volt, the eight can power a pedal up to 500ma, one 12volt, and one 18volt. It also comes with 2 polarity reversal cables). // 8

Sound: I am using it with a Peavey Classic 30 and a PRS SE semi-hollow. Right now I am powering a JH-1 wah, EHX attack eq, and a Mooer chorus. Powers those with no noise at all that I can hear. No tone loss when compared to batteries. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes, it seems solidly built, all metal casing. I would definitely gig with it without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: If it was lost or stolen, I would buy another one. You can't get a isolated Power Supply for cheaper than this. It's not too heavy, lighter than a Voodoo Lab PP2. I compared it too Voodoo Lab supplies, but got this one because of it's $ factor and it seemed good. This power supply has 10 LED Lights over every input to show that it is working. It works a a pedal board lighting system but there is a switch to turn the lights off. Overall, its a very good "pedal". // 9

JP-02 Power Supply 2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 13, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Price paid includes shipping to the Netherlands. Well, it is a power supply. Plug it into the wall and connect pedals. Manual is included but doesn't add much information to what any guitarist allready knows. They should have mentioned something that I will write down below. // 10

Sound: I am using it to power 7 pedals (EHX Holy Grail, TC-Nova, etc) that are very noisy in a daisy chain setup, and a Fulltone GT-500 that I run at 12V. BUYER BE WARE: Just because a lot of manufacturers call a power supply "isolated" does not mean it completely is! This goes for several brands but also for this Joyo unit. It has a well made PCB and filters inside (so it is not a glorified daisy chain in a box), and it actually does eliminate 99% of the noise you get from notorious pedals like the EHX Holy Grail and digital effects like the TC electronics range. So far so good right? Well, no.. Like a lot of affordable power supplies it does not have isolated grounds! That means you can not use your Vintage positive ground effects, without destroying your effects and/or power supply (No: that has nothing to do with positive or negative center connectors). That is something they should have mentioned in the manual. On the other hand, lots of other brands don't either and that is a total shame! I am impressed with build quality and the fact that it does eliminate virtually any noise that you get when you put the same effects in a daisy chain. It actually scores a 9, but for not warning people about the "common ground", a 7 is in order. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It does protect your pedals! Apart from filtering noise, it has one L.E.D per connection. When a pedal pulls too much current, the corresponding L.E.D will flash and the max current will be limited, preventing a pedal meltdown, unlike a Onespot. Now that's what you'd expect from a good power supply! It appears to be very well made in a sturdy metal box. Too bad the power input on the box is on the front, where the outputs are too. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for over 12 years and own several amps and about 15 stomp boxes, from homemade Fuzz to T.C Nova. This power supply feeds my "favourites" board that has 7 effects on it. For the price, nobody can beat this thing! People are skeptical because it is from the far east, but ask yourself this: What are Asian factory's best at? Indeed, electronics. I have opened up the metal box and inside is a quality PCB with traces and components that are assembled in the same tidy manor as your average Apple PCB. If it got stolen, I'd buy it again, unless they start building one for all those people that want to use both negative and positive ground pedals! // 8

JP-02 Power Supply 2 Reviewed by: Mr.McTaco, on august 16, 2013

Price paid: A$ 75

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Open the box, plug it in and it's ready to go! Extremely easy to use. My only issue with it was the cable that powers the unit. It plugs into the front, rather than the back of the unit, which can be a problem depending on your set up. Right now, I'm using it on the top right corner of my CNB pedalcase, and I have no problems. The only other thing I can think of is the cables that come with it, as they could be a little bit longer and easier to "straighten." I haven't taped any of them down yet, however. // 9

Sound: For me, personally, I have had no trouble with the sound. I'm running 8 9v pedals into the unit, and there is absolutely no noise and no loss of signal! Absolutely beautiful. Especially considering I am running some pedals that could be very noisy otherwise, for example: EHX Holy Grail Nano, MXR Carbon Copy, Boss PS-6, a 1981 Boss BF-2, a 1988 Boss NS-2, 1986 GE-7, TS-808 Tube Screamer and a Boss TU-3 Tuner. As I mentioned earlier, absolutely no loss of sound/signal. Smooth sailing and happy shredding! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had the Joyo JP-02 for a bit over 2 months now, and it's been great. I would absolutely gig without a backup. I even plan to get another one so I can run some more pedals when I transfer over to a bigger DIY "Gorm" board. Before I purchased the unit, I was under the impression that it would be much bigger. But to my surprise, after opening the box, I was impressed, and kind of worried at the same time that it would easily break! But it has a very strong metal casing, and it would probably survive a decent fall and/or throw against the wall. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Thrash Metal and Glam Metal when gigging with my two bands, so I only really need the 8 9v slots for those two bands. However, when I'm at home, I like to play a variety of styles, such as jazz, classical etc... So getting another one might be a good idea if I was to use more pedals (which I eventually plan to do). This is the first power supply I have ever used, as prior to switching to stomp boxes, I was only running a Boss GT-8 which was powered by a 12v adapter. I'm glad I switched over! Much cheaper than a PP2+, and as reliable in my opinion. P.S. The blue LED lights ROCK! // 9

More Joyo reviews rating category latest review
+ JF-01 Vintage Overdrive 8.5 Guitar Effects 05/16/2014