Compressor 2 Knob Review

manufacturer: Keeley date: 03/02/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Keeley: Compressor 2 Knob
The Keeley Compressor pedal has is built using tone-tested components and true bypass switching for a clean, unaffected sound when the pedal is off.
 Ease of Use: 8
 9.2
 9.3
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Compressor 2 Knob Reviewed by: theGlitch, on march 02, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: As I eagerly waited for the owner to show up at our meeting place, I thumbed through the Keeley website psyching myself up for my new purchase. After he arrived we had a brief discussion about using the pedal and I was quickly racing home to let her out. Within 10 minutes I had found exactly the tone I was looking for. Of course, this did involve reading the 1 page instruction sheet provided by Keeley, in order to know how to tweak the internal trim pots. The 2 internal trim pots control the attack and clipping. These were clearly outlined in the manual (which made it a lot easier to find the sound I wanted). // 8

Sound: As with anything made by Keeley, this pedal is true bypass; so there a nice clean and clear signal at all times. So with my Gibson Les Paul Studio and Vox AC4tvh (and 112 extension cab)the sound came through a smooth as butter. Using the input/clipping trim pot, you can get a little bit of an overdriven punch. The attack trim pot gives you the ability to get that country twang or a bit of bassy punch. With the input trim pot at a little more than full off, the attack trim pot a little less than full on, the sustain at about 11:30, and the level at about 12:30 I was able to get a nice smooth tone that lightly compressed my signal. It definitely cleaned up those outlier frequencies, like a good compressor should. My tone was definitely cleaned up like a compressor should. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Though I've owned this pedal only about a week, it definitely looks like a solid pedal that would not fail on me. Solder joints are clean steel enclosure; definitely a solid build. I definitely wouldn't need a back up at any gig. It certainly isn't build like a BOSS, but it is a solid pedal that I could throw against a wall and still be able to play it as if I just opened the package. // 9

Overall Impression: They say with a good compressor you shouldn't even realize it's on. With the Keeley Compressor on, I can tell a difference; and it's a good difference. I generally try to achieve a warm full tone that I can dirty up later with other effects. This pedal definitely gave me that last bit of warmth I needed. I play indie, alternative, and post influenced music; and have been playing for roughly 11 years. For most of those 11 years I was using an MXR Dyna Comp and sometimes the Super Comp (and sometimes them together). This Keeley comp. by far shadows those pedals. I even did a bit of a mini shootout before writing this review as a basis of comparison. If anyone were so cruel as to take this pedal from me, I would first try to hunt them down and end them, then I'd be on the internet trying to find a replacement. This pedal is everything anyone could ever want in a compressor and I will never take it out of my signal chain. // 10

More Keeley reviews rating category latest review
+ C4 Compresser 4 Knob 9.2 Guitar Effects 08/26/2011