AX100G Review

manufacturer: Korg date: 07/06/2006 category: Guitar Effects
Korg: AX100G
The AX100G is powered by Korg's REMS modeling technology, and packs a wide range of effects from heavily distorted hi-gain amp sounds, to acoustic guitar modeling.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.4
 Ease of Use: 8.4
 8.1
 5.9
reviews (7) 4 comments vote for this gear:
AX100G Reviewed by: indiecult99, on january 04, 2006

Purchased from: SamAsh

Ease of Use: The sound is good for the most part. Editing sounds and creating your own is extremely easy. Take a quick glance through the manual and you're there. There is a semi-decent amount of presets on the unit, but it's better to just make your own, but don't be intimidated, because it's way easy to do so. // 9

Sound: I'm using either a Jackson K3Kelly or my Aria LP. I use this through a Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet head, with a Crate cab. Some other effects I use are the Boss Superphaser, Jimi Hendrix Wah, and Boss Mega Dist. The sound goes through pretty good for the most part, but sometimes, for some reason that I've yet to figure out, sometimes if you're looking for sustain, you get nothing of the sort. you strum a chord (letting it ring) and it just fades out really quick. I'm not sure why though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The unit is good as far as durability. It is made of plastic though, but if you're not playing anything too heavy or too brutal it should withstand. I would gig without a backup but def. Use an adapter. I wouldn't trust batteries on this. And don't bump it with the adapter, because it will cut out real quick. // 7

Overall Impression: I play anything from Indie, to metal and this fits in between there. I would suggest this as a beginning pedal. It was my first multi-effect board, and it's served me well. There is a little bit of everything on here. Different distortions, delay, phaser, chorus, reverd, comp, flanger, vibrato. Everything. I wish I would've actually went with something more like a DigiTech. But I can't complain about this. It's still a great pedal. Great for bypass and tuning use. // 8

AX100G Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2003

Purchased from: Piedog (online)

Ease of Use: So easy to use, I didn't even need a manual. Has two chanels on each patch which can be changed. This is great for acoustic intros to slamming solos in a flick of 1 pedal. This is just what I needed because I play rhythm in a band and some times do solos and intros. 80 patches. 40 preset and 40 custom. Over 50 drum beats. Trainer. All you need - really. // 10

Sound: I usually practise alot but also do gigs and this is perfect for both. Some patches are a bit fussy but because of its class setting structure you can put the nosie gate up or down. So basically is doesnt effect you at all. I would say the effects are slightly above average not bad at all for its price. Great range from rhythm to lead. Mainly for rhythm I'd say. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Batteries don't last long only may be 10 hours fully charged but if you use the drum beats you'd be lucky to get 2 hours the most. Recommend psu. I do use it for gigs but I might upgrade to the AX1500G. Just because the body is made out of strong plastic but holds up for what I need it for. the pedal is great it has 7 leds telling you the levels of volume, flanger, phaser etc. // 6

Overall Impression: I play loads of Muse, Feeder, Green Day great for them just a really good all rounder. I was confused between the Zoom gfx 707ii but I no some one has it and its impressive with the 'mad' and 'weird' patches but no way could you use them in rythem. I think the Zoom gfx 707ii is a one of show off impress ya mates for a day then when you play gigs and stuff long term its crap and lods of excess noise is made. Wish I got the Korg1500g - stronger and more quility effects. // 8

AX100G Reviewed by: corsa, on february 16, 2004

Purchased from: Regent Guitars

Ease of Use: This is an excellent little piece of equipment. The sound is easy too set up for your guitar, the problem I have is the size of the manual, but most is easy too work out yourself. // 6

Sound: I use an Aria 30 watt amp and a Fender mex-tex (telecaster) so I can get good sound nyway but before i had a strat copy so I would kill myself I hadn't had this pice of equiptment. The effects generally take over my amp, I have a re amp in the effects unit so it is good. There is no way of saying if an effect is good or bad because you can edit them. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it but the only problem that I have if I were giiging is there is no distortion to clean at the flick of a switch so Nirvana here (sorry). // 6

Overall Impression: Brilliant, although most of you will go for the AX1500G I would suggest getting this. Enjoy :-)3<= // 6

AX100G Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2004

Ease of Use: Very easy to get the sound you want. Any sound can be modified to your liking. Plus the factory standards are stored seperately, so if you stuff up you can always scan through those & find a substitute. Saving & recalling is smooth. You can literally save a sound for each song (by name), no matter how alike or different they sound. Also, each preset has 2 pre-amp modes, so you can have your clean & dist for a song in the same preset. // 10

Sound: I have a strat clone, but I modded it with original Fender pickups & bridge. I also sometimes play an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Standard-guage strings, going through (get this) a Phonic POD 400watt mixer with twin Whorfdale 15" speakers. I know, not normal but with this unit gives a helluva punch if you turn down the mid range. Lacks some compression, but is easily fixed with a Boss or similar dist unit. The only other neg I can find is the millisecond silence when switching presets, but in a gig with other instruments going you barely notice it. In recording you'd play different effects in different sessions anyway. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've been using it for almost a year with no problems. t's yet to fail me, on-stage or off. Battery life's a little short, but if you keep it plugged in during jams or studio work, the batteries hold fine for 8 hours nonstop. // 8

Overall Impression: I play old-school rock (Metallica pre-Reload) and this little toy gives a very clean, smooth sound. Good for adding body to a song or going solo in US Hi-gain mode. If it got stolen, I'd definitely buy another. I'd also suggest this for beginners. You can play around and find your style, then go out & buy the expensive things. Just save the sound you want, take the unit & your guitar to the guitar shop, jam a few chords & say "That's the sound I want. What can you offer me." // 8

AX100G Reviewed by: JHKH, on june 23, 2004

Purchased from: Professional Music Technology Romford Essex

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use once you have read the intructions. Yes no one reads intructions but with this pedal you must or you just wont have a clue how to use it. It looks complicated but really its not that difficult. Editing is very simple just select the one you want to edit change it how you want them click the right button and then its saved. You can even rename the effect to your own. I have already explained the manual and it is very good. Read it though you will need it! // 8

Sound: Im using this pedal with a Peavey Practice Amp but it still sounds excellent. The better the amplification the better the pedal will sound i do recommend this pedal. Its fun to use and to play about with. No it's not noisy at all. Distortion is great aand very powerful. The notes can last forever sometimes, haha All the effects have a great sound, although some are weird and if you want a wah pedal this isnt really all that but everything else is good. Yes you can play about with the high, bass, and mids and you can get what you want you can also set the drive of distortion and make ur own types using different cabinets. This pedal is well equipt. Beckola is the one i dont really like coz its pretty crappy. Not really gonna be used in any songs. Maybe if you just muck about. THe rest are good. Acoustic sound is ok but if you want real acoustic sound buy an acoustic or just get a seprate pedal for that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes you can just don't muck up your presets like I did on a gig. I had to go backstage and re do them while the other acts were on. Well it is reliable and durable seems its made of metal but 2 be honest i cant play guitar with out this pedal now i have to have it all the time it brings the best out in your playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music and this pedal suits all of them. You can play pop to the very heaviest metal and you can get good sounds from it. If this was stolen i would definantly get another! This effects unit is excellent and well made. Korg have this one just right and look forward to more pedals comming out in the future. I love everything about this pedal its a great buy and for 149 you cant go wrong really. My favourite feature has to be how you can just change to different effects by using the stomp buttons. I wish it had a better wah pedal then it would be completely perfect! Just buy it if you want effects. // 8

AX100G Reviewed by: jamshid06, on august 19, 2005

Purchased from: Yupangco, Phils.

Ease of Use: Perfect, but if you need all the details you'll need to browse the manual. Editing is also perfect. // 10

Sound: My setup is a Danelectro 56-U2 lefty with a Marshall MG15RCD. The combination of it with this effects is awesome. It can honestly bring down your room if its a studio type kinda room. This includes the sound of Satriani, Judas Priest, Petrucci, Van Halen and alot more. This effects is complete, perfect for practice (trainer, drum mach) and live performance (hi-illumination, rugged body). The only thing it lacks is a seperate compression with drive/amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Absolutely dependable, but I suggest to use batt or the original Korg adapter. If you'll need the squeels live, better add a seperate stomp comp. // 8

Overall Impression: I play alternative, glam and heavy metal rock to blues, jazz and pop. Almost all kind of music I do appreciate except for new wave '80s like A-Ha, Depeche Mode, etc. I've been playing since 1992 and the bottomline with the effects -- if you're cross cutting on buying a multi-processor but looking for the most complete and versatile, this is it. You can compare it with DigiTech RP300A but it's up to you, but I think it's weaker though it has comp and EQ. Finally, I wish a had hi-end processor with synth. Is there something like that? // 10

AX100G Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 06, 2006

Ease of Use: Obviously, being a guitar effects processor, it takes a while to get used to it and a lot of playing around to get some desired tones and presets. However, once u get to know the produc, it proves to be very easy to use. Planty of effects (including many you'll probably never use) and a great way to bring a lot of signature sounds around with you without breaking your back. The manual helps out out a lot-especially at first, but the processor is very simple to use once you're familiar with it (as I mentioned earlier) // 6

Sound: It works well with just about any amp to my knowledge (Marshall, Peavey etc) but like the amps, the processor sounds different while in use in conjunction with other products. Most of the effects are very effective, especiall the Modulation Effects (chorus, flager, phaser etc). A lot of the presets are interesting as well, some classic sounds as well as modern, and even some weird sounds that could make aliens raise a few eyebrows. As for getting specific sounds of artists, a lot of tweaking is definitely required, but the modeling unit as a whole if very awesome. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It doesn't seem very durable considering that the whole thing's made of plastic and rubber. On the other hand, it seems very reliable-especially with the use of an AC/DC adaptor. I've had it for a few years & it still hasn't failed me. If you're going to use it very much or exclusively, a back up might be worth your while. // 7

Overall Impression: At the time of purchase, I was getting into metal and playing a lot of classic rock, so this thing can easily handle a lot of those sounds (and the wah built into it never hurts either). As I've come to embrace shred and metal much more over the past few years, the Overdrive & distortion tones seemed a little less effective, but other than that, all the effects seem as fresh-sounding as the day I got it. If you're into guitar effects and crazy psychadelic sounds, this pedal's a good start if you don't wanna spend a small fortune on a huge rig or rack or even a more powerful effects processor! Another great thing about it is that it seems very compatible with just about any other effect pedal or amp. I've plugged wahs and more powerful distortion units into it and have gotten some very desired results. Obviously, it doesn't come anywhere near a GNX4 or a Boss GT8, but it's quite affordable and gets the job done. Excellent for custom presets and has a lot of sounds that turn audiences around the world on their heads. One problem is if you're used to single-unit Wahs or Volume Pedals (Crybaby, Vox, Black Cat etc), you're in for a very shallow expression pedal which is undesirable for big sweeps. // 10

More Korg reviews rating category latest review
+ Pandora Stomp 9 Guitar Effects 12/24/2014